5” gauge track laying

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Bagnall
New User
New User

5” gauge track laying

Post by Bagnall » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:20 pm

Does anybody have any experience of track laying in 5” gauge? For simplicity I’ve bought Maxitrak’s plastic sleepers with the push fit chairs. I’ve gone for 8’ radius which is about the minimum I can get away with for the ‘Sweet Pea’ loco that I’ve got. Do I need to widen the gauge on the curves, and if so by how much.

Any advice or tips would be gratefully received as I’m learning by experimenting.

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Re: 5” gauge track laying

Post by Phil.P » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:05 pm

I've helped assemble the PNP track (using their plastic sleepers, chairs, etc.)..

These allow for gauge-widening (two variations) due to the clever use of a spacer, with an off-centre moulded spigot, which fits in the bottom of the chair.

Worth a read - up on the site, I reckon?

We are really pushing things, in the garden, with trying to run at this gauge, so I personally think it is worth the effort.

Do consult your track / loco designer, though. - It may be 'better' to follow their advice?

Phil.P

Scrat
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: 5” gauge track laying

Post by Scrat » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:38 pm

Gauge widening on PNP tracks is very useful.
I have PNP track on my layout.
The only drawback: Plastic sleepers can catch fire if hot ash drops from a not fully closed ashpan door.
They really burn so you will need a bit of sheet metal over the sleepers in your usual stopping/firing places.

Foundation is almost 40cm deep, filled with gravel and sand. Then 5cm thick concrete slabs on top ensurung a smooth run.
The tracks are not fixed in any way as aluminium track sxpands more than steel.
Never had any problems with it.
(Layout was built in 2010)