RH parts advice

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Andrew

RH parts advice

Post by Andrew » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:23 pm

Afternoon all,

This afternoon I took Russell out to run my first steam service in over 6 month - all did not go well...

The run up the line was somewhat erratic, lots of stopping and starting, and when the train reached Clarach it would go no further. Looking at the valve gear I noticed at least one of the problems - a screw had worked loose, with this result:

Russell valve gear.jpg
Russell valve gear.jpg (109.11 KiB) Viewed 2062 times

I placed the loco on the deck to cool down, then brought it indoors to take the above photo - at which point the rear pony truck fell off!

Russell pony truck.jpg
Russell pony truck.jpg (109.96 KiB) Viewed 2062 times

Naturally, the screw which had secured it slipped between the decking boards, never to be seen again...

Both problems look like they should be fairly easily resolved by obtaining the right screws - can anyone advise what they are please?

The main learning point from this (apart from that I should probably play with Hornby models indoors) is that I really out to be more careful about checking my engines over before running them - why must I always learn the hard way?! Happily, I had previously learned another lesson, which is not to operate trains in public until you know they're running well in private, so I did resist the urge to raise steam for some visitors this morning...

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.

MRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: RH parts advice

Post by MRail » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:34 pm

Andrew,
The valve gear link in the picture is purely cosmetic.
Perhaps the loco stopped because the loose link or the pony truck jammed.

Anyway, a phone call to Roundhouse will sort you out.

Tel: 01302 328035
Email: mail@roundhouse-eng.com

Rob (also owner of an elderly Russel)
Rob G
Madog & Mersey Railway (SM32)
In my Father's roundhouse are many loco sheds.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:28 am

Andrew wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:23 pm This afternoon I took Russell out to run my first steam service in over 6 month - all did not go well...
You get days like that.... All part of the rich tapestry of life. :roll:

The missing bits connecting the anchor link to the dummy combination lever are a nut and a bolt. M2.5 in current locos I think, so you've got two parts that are MIA.

The rear pony pivot on a Russell is probably the same as the front one. Again two parts are MIA, a pivot screw and a coil spring on a Russell, I think. The pivot screw will likely be a shouldered screw, so not a standard fastener.

Best thing is to talk to Roundhouse. One more advantage of owning their locos is you can usually get parts, especially custom fasteners, unless the model is very ancient.

Regards,
Graeme

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:25 am

Thanks both!

MRail wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:34 pm The valve gear link in the picture is purely cosmetic.
Perhaps the loco stopped because the loose link or the pony truck jammed.
Yes, that makes sense - in retrospect, it was when the loco stopped that I noticed the flapping valve gear link, so I put two and two together and made at least four and a half... Thinking back, the loco came to a grinding halt on the barrow crossing, and I had the same issue there a few years back when a pony truck screw had worked a little loose and fouled the crossing.
GTB wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:28 am
The missing bits connecting the anchor link to the dummy combination lever are a nut and a bolt. M2.5 in current locos I think, so you've got two parts that are MIA.

The rear pony pivot on a Russell is probably the same as the front one. Again two parts are MIA, a pivot screw and a coil spring on a Russell, I think. The pivot screw will likely be a shouldered screw, so not a standard fastener.

Best thing is to talk to Roundhouse.
I shall indeed drop RH a line - but at least I know roughly what I'm asking for now, thank you!

All the best,

Andrew.

PS Passenger services on the (WH)WHR may recommence later in the week - either with the Regner on the front of the planner WHR rake, or with a novelty consist of a battery loco and two Faller E-train balcony carriages...