Any idea where and when this photo was taken?

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Any idea where and when this photo was taken?

Post by ge_rik » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:46 pm

I'm presently helping the NGRS digitise their collection of photos and am trying to catalogue them as I go. This photo looks to my like the Simplex which was used by the Ffestiniog Railway in its early preservation days. That looks like the front of an England loco to the left, but the stock behind looks very WHR so maybe it predates preservation days.

I know we have a few WHR aficionados on the forum - any suggestions?
V Bradley Collection 6-13 undated  Welsh Highland Railway ex WD Simplex Tin Turtle AW Croughton Neg No X5358.jpg
V Bradley Collection 6-13 undated Welsh Highland Railway ex WD Simplex Tin Turtle AW Croughton Neg No X5358.jpg (135.97 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Graff B.
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Any idea where and when this photo was taken?

Post by Graff B. » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:46 am

Hi, I can’t figure out where it’s taken or when but i would say it’s definitely pre preservation days as the coaches in the background are not semi derelict and if they had been restored would be in the green and cream livery. The simplex was purchased in Colonel Stevens days so was around before the WHR closed. I would suggest it was taken before the WHR closed. There was is a bug box in the background, I don’t think they saw much use on the WHR.

Regards Alan.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:27 pm

Where's The Marquis when you need him?!

I agree with you Alan, it's a good point re the early preservation livery. I think the left-hand carriage is Van 4, which wasn't converted to that form until 1928/9 as I recall - so my guess is sometime between then and closure. I think the location's Porthmadog Harbour station, from the lines of carriages?

Are you on FB Rik? Do the ffestiniog Heritage group have a presence there, I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

Nice picture, by the way, not one I've seen before...

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:32 am

Thanks Andrew
Not accessed the Ffestiniog FB group but will give them a try.
I seem to recall that the WHR had at least one ex tin turtle, but the presence of the bug box and the front on the England loco seems to suggest it's on FR metals. Did they store WHR coaches at Porthmadog after closure, I wonder?

Rik
------------------------

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:51 am

Hi Rik,

I think the Simplex will be the one later known as Mary Ann - https://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/The_Simplex - purchased for use on both lines.

I believe all the WHR carriages were stored at Dinas after 1936, but the FR and WHR had swapped one semi-open "summer car" for some bogie coal wagons, so it could be that one. The two carriages appear to be in different liveries (unless one's faded?) which might suggest the 30s?

I'm sure the FR experts will soon have it sorted out!

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:27 am

Andrew wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:51 am
I'm sure the FR experts will soon have it sorted out!
Try this lot: https://www.facebook.com/frheritage/

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:57 am

I’m not sure on date but I’d say Pre-Preservation personally. It also looks like it was taken at Porthmadog station. There are multiple roads on a curve it would seem ala Porthmadog, the line coming off underneath the locos could lead to the goods shed/WHR link?
Thanks
Jack

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:10 am

Thanks chaps. I'm veering more towards pre-preservation days. The faded edges to the photo suggest it's a bit older than the 50s or 60s

Rik
------------------------

Graff B.
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Graff B. » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:06 pm

Having another look at the picture, i agree it is most likely to be taken at Portmadoc harbour. As Jack said, the curve of the sidings and the line in the foreground match the layout at Portmadoc. It looks like ship masts above the carriages (not the simplex roof supports) further suggesting Portmadoc. Regards Alan.