Slaters De Winton question regarding batteries & r/c

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Simon-m
Cleaner
Cleaner

Slaters De Winton question regarding batteries & r/c

Post by Simon-m » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:34 am

I wonder if anyone on the forum has built one of these kits?

I'm curious how you powered them? I really want to build one but I want to know it can be r/c fitted. Are the tank & bunker hollow & can they take a battery?
My thoughts are to fit a 9v battery to it & a locoremote maxi depending on size & space available.

Has anyone had experience building one & how have they tackled the issues?

Cheers

Si

Paul_in_Ricky
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Slaters De Winton question regarding batteries & r/c

Post by Paul_in_Ricky » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:33 pm

Alan Jones documented his build of one of these kits on RMWeb at https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... loner-kit/

I was considering one until I read of the possible 12 week wait for one.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:53 pm

I know one of Peter Butler's friends built one. I think the RC was Deltang but not sure what batteries he used. There's a glimpse of of it at the end of the video I shot of Peter's Emett collection (at 4:10)

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:30 pm

Simon-m, I can't help personally and haven't been able to visit my friend due to lockdown, but I will try to get some info for you.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Simon-m
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Simon-m » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:24 am

Thanks for the replies everyone, slaters unfortunately cancelled my order I had placed for one as they cannot fulfill my order because they dont have the motors in stock for it presently.
Theyve told me to re order in another month, I shall wait until then & hopefully I can get more info on what I need to get in the meantime to fit the r/c & battery.
I have some deltang recievers here so that should fit. I was going to use locoremote at first but the recievers are very big.

Paul_in_Ricky
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Paul_in_Ricky » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:51 am

Simon-m wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:24 amslaters unfortunately cancelled my order I had placed for one as they cannot fulfill my order because they dont have the motors in stock for it presently.
Theyve told me to re order in another month,
I just had to wait six weeks for a replacement motor for the Quarry Hunslet kit I'm building, so I feel your pain.
It's disappointing. I'd guess that the virus crisis is hampering supplies. Did they say whether you'd still have to wait 12 weeks if they do get new motors in ?

I quite fancy having a go at the DeWinton, but from my experience of the Hunslet kit and Alan's thread, it's likely to be another challenge.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:26 am

Back again....... I have had a reply from my friend, Mike, but it might not be the one you hoped for?

The receiver is in the front water tank and the batteries are in the attached coal wagon the batteries are 8 AA batteries this also includes the switch and charging point. It has always run like a honey

At least I tried!

Simon-m
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Simon-m » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:30 pm

Thanks for the reply Peter

I think a 9v battery under the body should work & whilst not totally hidden should work satisfactorily.
Slaters dont currently have stock of this or the quarry hunslet for those who may want one.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:35 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:26 am Back again....... I have had a reply from my friend, Mike, but it might not be the one you hoped for?

The receiver is in the front water tank and the batteries are in the attached coal wagon the batteries are 8 AA batteries this also includes the switch and charging point. It has always run like a honey

At least I tried!
Hi Peter
There's no coal wagon attached in the video - has he changed the way it's powered since that was shot?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:32 pm

You're right Rik..... I hadn't noticed that and Mike has clearly forgotten! Perhaps he found a smaller battery was insufficient to power the loco? I know from experience that a 9v battery drains very rapidly.

Simon-m
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Simon-m » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:43 pm

Paul

They didnt say if I would have to wait 12 weeks after the parts were in stock.
After the de winton fell through i thought i would have a bash at the quarry hunslet only for them to ring me to tell me that was out of stock too. It's not the motors apparently it's the boiler castings on both models.
Slaters is a large buisness so I'm suprised that its something that's not produced in house.

Paul_in_Ricky
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Paul_in_Ricky » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:58 pm

Simon-m wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:43 pmSlaters is a large buisness
Sure ? Bigger than the one man bands certainly, but from what I've experienced it's not a large operation with lots of facilities.
I'd assume that a fair bit of the 16mm kits is outsourced. There's a massive range of types of part for these kits; etched parts, cast white metal, lost wax brass and nickel silver casting , injection moulded plastic, cast resin, turned brass & steel, milled steel, composite plastic/steel wheels, gearboxes, motors etc. For the volumes they're selling it wouldn't make sense to have all of that manufactured in-house.