Dog bone loop running

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
16mm_newbie
Cleaner
Cleaner

Dog bone loop running

Post by 16mm_newbie » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:26 am

Hi all. I am thinking about a dog bone SM32 line with single track main line and loop at each end. I don’t want to have to reset the points at the loop entrances every circuit but can I allow the loco to ‘self-switch’ the points? I know this isn’t very prototypical! Grateful for any advice as I am new to garden rlways.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Dog bone loop running

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:33 pm

I use to have a dog bone layout and I sprung loaded the points so they would always set the way I wanted each time after a train would pass through them.

Check out the RWLR thread by searching for it as I posted how I went about installing springs.

16mm_newbie
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by 16mm_newbie » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:12 pm

Thanks for the reply. I’ll check out the RWLR thread.

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:04 pm

When I started I had a dogbone track but I did not spring load my points I just let the trains push through them and left them set like that, that way the train ran clockwise then anti clockwise on alternate circuits.
It was my way of breaking the boredom of watching a train running the same way all the time.
I did see years ago on a HO site that a person painted each side of his train differently that way as the train reversed direction it looked like another train.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

16mm_newbie
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by 16mm_newbie » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:41 pm

Interesting! Thanks for the reply.

RMurphy195
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RMurphy195 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:24 pm

I'v trieddesigning such aloop uing Anyrail and MSS track and points, but can't get things to join up. Could you publish your track plan once it's ready so I can pinch it thanks? - Richard

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:15 am

RMurphy195 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:24 pm I'v trieddesigning such aloop uing Anyrail and MSS track and points, but can't get things to join up. Could you publish your track plan once it's ready so I can pinch it thanks? - Richard
I suspect that using set track you'll never get the loop to match up, you'll have to be prepared to cut at least one piece of track.
It would come close using a Peco short point and 30" curves, but again you'll need at least one piece of flexi in there.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:30 am

If you use the Peco ST-607 curves with matching short radius point you can get a loop with the point included as it is the same radius as the ST-607 curve.

This is not possible if you are trying to use the original ST-605 curves.

16mm_newbie
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by 16mm_newbie » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:15 am

Thanks all for the advice..is there a thread somewhere comparing SM32 track options? Eg Cliff Barker vs PECO ?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:07 pm

It's a topic that has been discussed on here before but I'm blowed if I can remember where now. No doubt Tom will have a whizzy means of searching for it and posting a link :notworthy:

As I've said on here before, Cliff Barkers track is quite simply beautiful. It's a great representation of narrow gauge bullhead, it uses a perfectly proportioned rail and the sleeper and chair detail is excellent. I've had some in the garden for approaching ten years and it's as good as the day I laid it. Cliff is also an absolute gentleman to deal with. I build my own turnouts from his components but he now offers a prebuilt turnout in narrow gauge at what I consider (bearing in mind I know how much time goes into making them) a very reasonable price.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:05 pm