What are the ins and outs of plastic rail?

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
yellow_cad
Cleaner
Cleaner

What are the ins and outs of plastic rail?

Post by yellow_cad » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:56 pm

I plan to run live steam and would like to use 45 mm plastic track. What makes of plastic track are available? Do various brands of plastic track interchange? I have seen talk of painting plastic track. What is the best type of paint to use. How is expansion of plastic track best managed? Thanks for any thoughts on plastic track. Jim

philipy

Re: What are the ins and outs of plastic rail?

Post by philipy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:58 pm

Jim,
Just to clarify, by "plastic track" I assume you mean metal ( brass, N/s, etc) rail on plastic sleepers?
I'll let others answer fully although I'm not aware that plastic sleepers are a significant problem with live steam.
In answer to your question on compatibility between manufacturers, the question of the 'code' or dimensions of the rail cross section can be an issue, although not insurmountable, and of course trying to convert between bullhead and flat bottom rail also requires some care in alignment, but again it isn't impossible.
Philip

yellow_cad
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by yellow_cad » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:23 pm

I am asking about track that is 100% plastic (ties and rails).

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:28 pm

There are a number of companies that make plastic track, Bachmann and some sold by ECR, however they are not compatible with each other. As for running live steam, depends on the heat from your loco!!!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:37 pm

Heat (gas locos should be fine but coal or meths fired will melt the track), weight and metal wheels are going to be an issue running live steamers on poorly made plastic track that is intended for toy train sets.

Electric locos should be fine using plastic track though.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:09 pm

From personal experience I've had no issues running internally gas fired live steam on plastic track. I'd be a bit wary with methylated spirit firing should there be a flare up, and coal fired boilers have the ash pan down close to track level. I've a couple of circles of 45mm stuff out of Christmas tree sets and an oval of 32mm Faller PlayTrain track that can I use when visiting somewhere. I'm planning a little layout using the Faller Playtrain stuff - on that note, does anyone have any PlayTrain points they'd consider getting rid of?

My ELR Hunslet running on the Faller track below. The Edrig ran just before this, and the Hunslet then ran continuously for almost an hour with no damage to the track.

Last edited by steamyjim on Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my steam and engineering youtube channel at...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8vX4P ... _PnvhldjjA

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:21 pm

An oval of plastic track used on a table indoors is not the same as installing it outside where it will be impacted by terrain and changes in temperature (the question asking how is expansion managed by the OP led me to believe he was asking for how to use plastic track outside).

I don't think plastic points are going to be durable longer term as the weight of live steam locos will wear the point frogs and blades.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:54 pm

I came across this chaps YouTube channel the other day while hunting for suitable scale ballast for garden railway use. He seems to have a fairly extensive railway using 45mm plastic track and has a few how to videos on various aspects of using plastic track (including one on painting it). Perhaps worth dropping him a message via his YouTube channel to see how he gets on with the issues you mention.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgN_q0 ... L5A/videos
Check out my steam and engineering youtube channel at...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8vX4P ... _PnvhldjjA

yellow_cad
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by yellow_cad » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:24 am

I am talking about running outside. Yearly temperatures vary from an occasional 105 F in the summer to an equally occasional lightly below freezing in the winter. I do plan a well packed 1/4 inch crushed gravel bed.
If the switches are the weak point, is it possible to integrate metal railed switches with plastic rail track?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:13 am

My main concern with using plastic track outside would be UV. The track sold by ECR says it's suitable for outdoor use (and live steam) but doesn't mention if it's UV resistant.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223021779374

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

yellow_cad
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by yellow_cad » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:05 pm

I understand that some people paint the plastic track to protect against UV.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:19 pm

Why do you want to use plastic track?

yellow_cad
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by yellow_cad » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:25 pm

My thought is to use plastic track several reasons. First is cost, second is the fact that I will be placing my layout under some very messy trees (for shade and other reasons) and believe the plastic would do better in this environment, and third I thought that the natural lubrication properties of plastic would be beneficial since I do not need to conduct electricity through the rails.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:59 am

Plastic track is not really much cheaper than metal, especially if you look at ebay. Sap and bird mess will ruin paint on cars, and I would think would penetrate plastic. Plastic wheel cause drag on metal rails, metal on metal being much smoother, so again I feel your reasoning may be flawed.
Obviously these are just my thoughts, and somebody could easily shoot me down.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:39 am

For me it all depends on budget. Like other members have said though, metal is by far cheaper in the long run, although I would try and buy a small amount first if that's the way you are wanting to go and see how well it stands up to everyday wear and tear. By a small amount I mean just a few pieces if that's possible. Then see if it is still want you want to use. Bear in mind though that there are quite a lot of people who use coal and meths fired locos and it would frighten the life out of me if it was my track going up in flames and even more importantly, if my loco was to get fire damaged because of it.

yellow_cad
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by yellow_cad » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:28 pm

Jimmyb wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:59 am Plastic track is not really much cheaper than metal, especially if you look at ebay. Sap and bird mess will ruin paint on cars, and I would think would penetrate plastic. Plastic wheel cause drag on metal rails, metal on metal being much smoother, so again I feel your reasoning may be flawed.
Obviously these are just my thoughts, and somebody could easily shoot me down.
Good points. Thanks.