Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
RMurphy195
Cleaner
Cleaner

Boiler Top-Up Valve (Mamod Brunel)

Post by RMurphy195 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:54 pm

Another step on the learning curve ..

Loco is a Mamod Brunel mk3

In the two pictures below there is the topup valve from the boiler, and syringe attachment, both of which I'm sure most of you are familier with but, as a complete beginner, I am not.

The valve appears to work a little like a woods valve (or Dunlop valve).

The syringe was bought from a dealer at a model steam fair in response to the question "Have you got something I can use to top up the boiler on a ..."

Clearly the syringe attachment doesn't match upwith the topup valve, unless I'm missing something.

Advice, anyone? (e.g. what is it that I really need)

Thanks - Richard
Attachments
IMGP0190.JPG
IMGP0190.JPG (261.56 KiB) Viewed 3790 times
IMGP0189.JPG
IMGP0189.JPG (335.06 KiB) Viewed 3790 times

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Boiler Top-Up Valve (Mamod Brunel)

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:18 pm

I have used one of these for years as a top up bottle:

https://www.jacksonsminiatures.com/railway.html

The 'syringe attachment' you have been sold in the photo looks like just a piece of copper pipe which won't create a seal when inserted into the top up valve so you need to use an appropriate sized piece of plastic or silicone tubing to connect to your water bottle.

RMurphy195
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RMurphy195 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:35 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:18 pm I have used one of these for years as a top up bottle:

https://www.jacksonsminiatures.com/railway.html

The 'syringe attachment' you have been sold in the photo looks like just a piece of copper pipe which won't create a seal when inserted into the top up valve so you need to use an appropriate sized piece of plastic or silicone tubing to connect to your water bottle.
Thanks for the link - the syringe was only a couple of quid. chuffed2bits have something similar, and also silicon tube that I might be able to use as well (they are not far away if I need to pop over).

I've dug out a piece of household wire insulation that just fits over the end of the copper and makes a tight fit into the valve, so I'll see how that goes (as long as it doesn't melt!).

At present it takes a lot of pressure to push water through the valve, have to see what its like when refitted to the boiler, maybe the sleeving in the valve softens a bit when it heats up.

Thanks again - R

RMurphy195
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RMurphy195 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:41 am

Finally manged to use the boiler topup valve, but...

After its first use, the loco took much longer to build up pressure! I noticed that if I put a blob of water into the recess on top of the topup valve, air bubbled through quite quickly.

So I took the valve off, checked that I hadn't squirted any debris through it, squirted some water through just to make sure. but still no luck.

Ideas anyone, short of simply converting the valve into a blanking plug with a dab of solder?

Thanks - Richard.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:34 pm

RMurphy195 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:41 am After its first use, the loco took much longer to build up pressure! I noticed that if I put a blob of water into the recess on top of the topup valve, air bubbled through quite quickly.
What you are seeing is more or less normal for Goodall valves. The boiler temperature even at low pressure is above 100degC, so the drop of water is actually boiling. If the valve was leaking you'd see and possibly hear a steam leak when the boiler got up to pressure.

If the boiler has worked OK before, but has now started taking it's time coming up to pressure, the likely cause is something to do with the burner. Check that the gas jet isn't partly blocked to start with........

Regards,
Graeme

RMurphy195
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RMurphy195 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:55 pm

GTB wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:34 pm
RMurphy195 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:41 am After its first use, the loco took much longer to build up pressure! I noticed that if I put a blob of water into the recess on top of the topup valve, air bubbled through quite quickly.
What you are seeing is more or less normal for Goodall valves. The boiler temperature even at low pressure is above 100degC, so the drop of water is actually boiling. If the valve was leaking you'd see and possibly hear a steam leak when the boiler got up to pressure.

If the boiler has worked OK before, but has now started taking it's time coming up to pressure, the likely cause is something to do with the burner. Check that the gas jet isn't partly blocked to start with........

Regards,
Graeme
Ah - problem solved, my gas lighter packed up so I used a long match, and left a bit of debris on the burner. problem gone away now thanks