Laying track

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Laying track

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:00 am

Having got some topsoil sorted for the raised bed, (alas still not enough though) there will be some more coming in the near future hopefully. I would like to know the best way of laying track on it. I have thought of putting some potting grit, you know that small stuff you put around plants to put it on and let the sleepers bed down on it. I really don't have the money to start to get breeze blocks or red brick. I do still have some patio boards, but I would rather not use them if possible, but I would if it proved to be secure and fairly level. It would be easier using boards, but the track layout I am thinking of would look really ugly with them and more IMPORTANTLY, Anne would not be best pleased.... :lol: :lol: She wants to have some plants in the bed...

Any help would be gratefully received.... :thumbright:

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Laying track

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:30 pm

I would suggest that if your beds have only just been filled then they are going to settle a long way over the coming months.

I know you don't really want to, but devising some method of suspending the track so that it's independent of the soil is going to pay dividends over the season. Even if you were to lay bricks or blocks these are still going to settle.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:05 pm

Yes, if you are piling on fresh topsoil it will settle.
If you want a ground level line that is not on established hard packed ground it will need some serious base.
Alternatively as suggested above you could have the line laid not directly on the ground but maybe just above it on something like patio decking boards. I don't know why people use them on patios as they can be deadly slippery in wet conditions, but thats not an issue here. They can be supported on wooden posts (4" x 4" or similar) or on square or round section uPVC downpipe. It doesn't need to be clear of the ground by much as long as the uprights are deep enough in the soil to be solidly anchored. You can then grow plants around it or a dwarf hedge underneath it to disguise the fact that it is off the ground.
If I were constructing a line on new topsoil I would go for that method, particularly if I was unsure of how long I would stay in the same house. Depends on your own particular circumstances.
In the 16mm assoc. Guide to 16mm scale modelling,recently issued, there is a useful illustrated guide to various tracklaying methods.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:39 pm

Hi Rod,

I would agree wholeheartedly with Invicta280. Even on areas of fill only 18" deep I've had up to 2" of settlement over the last five years. This included the filcriss plastic supports I used - the legs didn't extend below the filled ground. I'm paying the price now! In fact it seriously dented my enthusiasm for about a year until the serious movement stopped (I hope!).

I understand the cost implications and the need for planting space. You might have some success looking out for surplus plastic pipes on some of the internet exchange sites - personally I can never pass a skip without checking it's contents! A little bit of careful measuring and cutting with the decking may help make it less obtrusive and, as Invicta280 also says, some careful planting around it will swallow it into the landscape in the space of 12 to 18 months.

Have a chat to Anne to see if she can come up with some suitable plants. I'm a keen gardener and I find every bit as much pleasure in the plants as I do the railway. 'Planting your Garden Railway' by Becky Pinnegar is a great read. It has little to do with trains and everything to do with growing plants, I strongly suspect Anne might enjoy reading it even more than you would!

Good luck

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri May 01, 2020 8:44 am

Thanks for your recommendations guys. It's very much appreciated.

Has you know Andrew I have used posts before on my other two builds at our previous addresses. But Anne wanted a raised in this one and as our son-in-law was laying the new flags in the patio area near the garage, I used the old crazy paving to fill most of the bed, so putting posts in now would be extremely difficult now with the crazy paving laying there.

Looks like I may now be looking at some other way, don't know what, apart from shifting over 1 ton of topsoil and compost mix and starting all over again. Thats not going to be an easy job. Some thought is going to be needed I feel.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri May 01, 2020 8:45 am

By the way Andrew, I have told Anne about the book. May be getting it when the bed situation is sorted.

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Fri May 01, 2020 11:45 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Fri May 01, 2020 8:44 am ... I used the old crazy paving to fill most of the bed ...
If the base of the bed is rubble and crazy paving then that won't settle, or if it does it will be very little, you only have to get your posts sitting down on that.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri May 01, 2020 6:46 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: ↑Fri May 01, 2020 11:45 am
FWLR wrote: ↑Fri May 01, 2020 8:44 am ... I used the old crazy paving to fill most of the bed ...
If the base of the bed is rubble and crazy paving then that won't settle, or if it does it will be very little, you only have to get your posts sitting down on that.
Absolutely. I hadn't realised that Rod - and I should have done because I remember seeing the pictures of the fill!! :roll:

If you've got any small pieces of slab left or some brick you might be able to scrape the soil back to reveal the hardcore and build up little pillars to support the deck boards.

All the best,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat May 02, 2020 9:28 am

Thats something similar to what I thought about yesterday Andrew. I thought about taking some soil and compost out at try to level the flags and put a post in and then fix a board across to that would allow the fixing of boards over the topsoil...

Something like this,

14C51FAA-394B-4F60-8EAC-DC7D15A8C8F9.jpeg
14C51FAA-394B-4F60-8EAC-DC7D15A8C8F9.jpeg (480.29 KiB) Viewed 4470 times

Then the boards that the track will affix to, will go across that one.
Thats the idea anyway hopefully. :roll: