Adhesive for concrete church model

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Adhesive for concrete church model

Post by andymctractor » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:32 pm

I've had a 16mm/ft concrete Cain Howley church for several years. I'm now getting to the point where I might actually put it together. :oops: I have several buttresses and battlements and other concrete additions. What I can't remember is what advice there is in the way of adhesive to use. I'm thinking external tile adhesive but I'm hoping someone has put one of these together with success. I have a large external floor tile that the church will be fixed to. The finished article will have to remain out in all weathers and will probably be painted with masonry paint.
Any positive or negative experiences out there? :scratch:
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Adhesive for concrete church model

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:01 pm

Hi Andy,
as you know, Cain is local to me and one of our group members. I have his Engine Shed which I put together myself some years ago now, if I recall correctly it is held together with waterproof tile cement (powder mixed with SBR) and has not moved in at least 5 years, probably longer.
An extra helping spread inside at the corners will add strength too.
It stays outdoors all year round as it is too heavy to move. One alteration to the original was to fit a slate effect roof, instead of the cast corrugated one, which prevents water from collecting at the top of the walls and penetrating down between the joints......
IMG_2974.JPG
IMG_2974.JPG (166.37 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:21 pm

That bird scored a direct hit!

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:03 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:01 pm Hi Andy,
as you know, Cain is local to me and one of our group members. I have his Engine Shed which I put together myself some years ago now, if I recall correctly it is held together with waterproof tile cement (powder mixed with SBR) and has not moved in at least 5 years, probably longer.
An extra helping spread inside at the corners will add strength too.
It stays outdoors all year round as it is too heavy to move. One alteration to the original was to fit a slate effect roof, instead of the cast corrugated one, which prevents water from collecting at the top of the walls and penetrating down between the joints......
IMG_2974.JPG
Thanks for the advice. I've just bought some SBR to ballast my track so I'm half way there.

I've also realised this part of the forum is for forum questions and this should be discussed in the Help and Advice section.
Apologies to the admin. :oops:
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:01 am

No problems, I have moved the topic.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:43 am

I realise this is a slight thread drift, but having just "googled" SBR, i see it is a waterproof additive, would this also be suitable for concert, when used in conjunction with a water feature - sorry for the drift :)

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:33 pm

Jimmyb wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:43 am I realise this is a slight thread drift, but having just "googled" SBR, i see it is a waterproof additive, would this also be suitable for concert, when used in conjunction with a water feature - sorry for the drift :)
I'm not a builder but I would imagine it would be suitable.

I'm going to use it for ballasting granite chippings to my track which is on a solid brick base. I have a short piece of track that I have ballasted onto a brick and left it in the garden for several years now and I would need to a cold chisel to remove the track and ballast from the brick.
Not everyone is in favour of using SBR for this purpose.
Regards
Andy McMahon

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:36 pm

andymctractor wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:33 pm
Jimmyb wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:43 am I realise this is a slight thread drift, but having just "googled" SBR, i see it is a waterproof additive, would this also be suitable for concert, when used in conjunction with a water feature - sorry for the drift :)
I'm not a builder but I would imagine it would be suitable.

I'm going to use it for ballasting granite chippings to my track which is on a solid brick base. I have a short piece of track that I have ballasted onto a brick and left it in the garden for several years now and I would need to a cold chisel to remove the track and ballast from the brick.
Not everyone is in favour of using SBR for this purpose.
Andy, many thanks, I am of the free flow ballast, however each to their methods, if your happy with it it is all that matters.