Accucraft Caradoc

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Accucraft Caradoc

Post by IanC » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:49 pm

I have a second hand Accucraft Caradoc that I am presently servicing. Please can anyone advise what size threads the bolts are that hold the body to the chassis? A previous owner has dismantled it in the past and lost one bolt and worn the heads on the remaining three so I would like to source replacements to use when I reassemble it. Thank you.
Ian

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: Accucraft Caradoc

Post by GTB » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:08 am

IanC wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:49 pm I have a second hand Accucraft Caradoc that I am presently servicing. Please can anyone advise what size threads the bolts are that hold the body to the chassis?
Accucraft mostly use metric M2 screws for assembling models, sometimes with a few M1.6 thrown in to confuse things.

They aren't a standard metric set screw though, as the hex heads are a smaller hex than a standard ISO one and the screwdriver ones have a smaller than standard head as well.

Accucraft sell small packs of their standard screw sizes as spares, but they aren't the highest quality, being a bit soft and easily damaged. At least they'll fit, as space may be too tight for the larger heads on ISO fasteners.

Regards,
Graeme

MRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by MRail » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:25 am

Ian,
These are indeed M2 screws.
I find a 10BA nutspinner/box spanner is a good fit to a unworn screw head.
For longer reach, I have a length of plastic tube squeezed over the nutspinner's "handle".
I sort of hope the plastic will give before the screw head does!
Rob G
Madog & Mersey Railway (SM32)
In my Father's roundhouse are many loco sheds.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:18 am

GTB wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:08 am
IanC wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:49 pm I have a second hand Accucraft Caradoc that I am presently servicing. Please can anyone advise what size threads the bolts are that hold the body to the chassis?
Accucraft mostly use metric M2 screws for assembling models, sometimes with a few M1.6 thrown in to confuse things.

They aren't a standard metric set screw though, as the hex heads are a smaller hex than a standard ISO one and the screwdriver ones have a smaller than standard head as well.

Accucraft sell small packs of their standard screw sizes as spares, but they aren't the highest quality, being a bit soft and easily damaged. At least they'll fit, as space may be too tight for the larger heads on ISO fasteners.

Regards,
Graeme
Graeme,

Many thanks for the information. I'll contact Accucraft in the first instance. I don't anticipate taking the body on and off regularly so I;ll see how I get on with their screws before sourcing others.
Ian

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:20 am

MRail wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:25 am Ian,
These are indeed M2 screws.
I find a 10BA nutspinner/box spanner is a good fit to a unworn screw head.
For longer reach, I have a length of plastic tube squeezed over the nutspinner's "handle".
I sort of hope the plastic will give before the screw head does!
Thanks for the info Rob.

I have nut spinners supplied by Accucraft and a couple of sets of spanners. None of the Accucraft nut spinners fit though. I am going to contact Accucraft to see if I can source some spares. I'm reluctant to re-use the existing ones as that will be asking for trouble.
Ian

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:44 am

Polly Engineering supply quality scale metric hex bolts:

https://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk ... e-list.asp

The catalogue is a searchable PDF so you can easily find what you need.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:00 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:44 am Polly Engineering supply quality scale metric hex bolts:
You'd need to check with them first to find out the hex size used. They may be using the reduced head sizes recommended by the ME hobby to replace reduced hex BA fasteners, back when the UK metricated.

Detail alert........ :roll:

Accucraft M2 hex screws have heads that are 3mm across flats. Which is why a 10BA nut spinner works with them, as standard 10BA hex screws are now usually 3mm across flats. They used to be 0.114” (2.9mm)........

ISO M2 hex screws are 4mm across flats.

When the UK metricated, an ME group came up with a set of sizes for 'scale' metric fasteners and the sizes are listed in Tubal Cain's 'Model Engineers Handbook'. The M2 screws in that list are 3.5mm across flats.

I went through all this a while ago when modifying an Accucraft Shay and a Ruby kit, when I had to make some replacement screws.

Regards,
Graeme

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:51 pm

eMail contact for Accucraft UK at present - https://www.accucraft.uk.com/2020/03/co ... e-closure/

https://www.accucraft.uk.com/products/h ... ed-screws/

As GTB states above they are soft and easily stripped. The nut spinners supplied with the locos are not much cop. I use a steel 3mm nut runner from Expo Tools - https://www.expotools.com/acatalog/7804 ... tml#SID=49

Chris Cairns

MRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by MRail » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:57 pm

The latest Accy newsletter says they are scaling down operations for the duration of the present health crisis.
Rob G
Madog & Mersey Railway (SM32)
In my Father's roundhouse are many loco sheds.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:04 pm

MRail wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:57 pm The latest Accy newsletter says they are scaling down operations for the duration of the present health crisis.
Chris Cairns wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:51 pm eMail contact for Accucraft UK at present - https://www.accucraft.uk.com/2020/03/co ... e-closure/

https://www.accucraft.uk.com/products/h ... ed-screws/

As GTB states above they are soft and easily stripped. The nut spinners supplied with the locos are not much cop. I use a steel 3mm nut runner from Expo Tools - https://www.expotools.com/acatalog/7804 ... tml#SID=49

Chris Cairns
GTB wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:00 pm
tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:44 am Polly Engineering supply quality scale metric hex bolts:
You'd need to check with them first to find out the hex size used. They may be using the reduced head sizes recommended by the ME hobby to replace reduced hex BA fasteners, back when the UK metricated.

Detail alert........ :roll:

Accucraft M2 hex screws have heads that are 3mm across flats. Which is why a 10BA nut spinner works with them, as standard 10BA hex screws are now usually 3mm across flats. They used to be 0.114” (2.9mm)........

ISO M2 hex screws are 4mm across flats.

When the UK metricated, an ME group came up with a set of sizes for 'scale' metric fasteners and the sizes are listed in Tubal Cain's 'Model Engineers Handbook'. The M2 screws in that list are 3.5mm across flats.

I went through all this a while ago when modifying an Accucraft Shay and a Ruby kit, when I had to make some replacement screws.

Regards,
Graeme

https://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk ... e-list.asp

The catalogue is a searchable PDF so you can easily find what you need.
Tom, Chris, Graeme and Rob,

Many thanks for the points raised about Accucraft bolts. I emailed them this morning, and they have already replied to say some will be in the post. I will use the Accucraft replacements when they arrive, but the information you guys have kindly supplied will enable me to to source better quality replacements.
Ian