Paint code for LNWR carriage plumb

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Paint code for LNWR carriage plumb

Post by JMORG » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:56 pm

Hi all,
Can anyone advise a paint code for LNWR plumb please? Want to get some spray made up.

philipy

Re: Paint code for LNWR carriage plumb

Post by philipy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:06 am

Can't advise directly, but the last time I built an LNWR coach ( in 4mm) I used Precision Paints and airbrushed it. You could get a small tinlet of that and ask your spray manufacturer to colour match it?

edited to add: I've just managed to find a link that had got lost amongst all my other "Ahh, that will come in handy one day" bookmarks!
RAF Kinloss MRC published a list of paint equivalents and according to them, LNWR Coach Plum Lower Panels :- Daewoo Dark Red
I have no idea how close that is in reality!
https://www.rafkinlossmrc.co.uk/info.html
Philip

cncmodeller
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Paint code for LNWR carriage plumb

Post by cncmodeller » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:29 pm

The precision paints tinlet match is eactly what I did with trying to get GWR deep bronze green, I eventually found the code which is a BS381c range [224] and when I matched it with the Precision paint tin afterwards it was spot on.
Forget RAL or any other modern paint code even when it 'looks' close it usually ends up being miles off once you've had a tin of cellulose mixed up,which is expensive but so much better than enamel which nowadays with all the harmful chemicals taken out takes forever to dry.
John