Workbench advice

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Workbench advice

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:03 pm

I am currently reorganising my workshop and have removed my horrible dining table workbench which I have never liked as it was too wide and not heavy enough to be stable.

I bought a laminated kitchen worktop that I have cut to size and have it temporarily resting on a cabinet while I play about with a comfortable work height. While doing this it occurred to me it might be worth placing a protective surface on top of the worktop that can be replaced as and when required.

Ideally, I don't want to have screws protruding so I was wondering if I could use cork roll or tiles glued down?

Suggestions welcome.

Tom

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Workbench protection

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:11 pm

A lot depends on the type of tools etc. you will be using and the anticipated damage which could occur.... If you intend to use hot (soldering) or chemical based equipment and materials then it might be a good idea to have something cheap which can easily be replaced.... e.g hardboard.
If you intend to use cutting blades, paints and solvents then I use a large cutting mat to protect both worktop and sharp blades. The best priced cutting mats I have found are available at ' The Works', which has branches in most large towns.
I would not recommend cork as it is easily damaged and breaks-up. Likewise, anything permanently stuck to your work surface will eventually need replacing and that would prove difficult!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:46 am

My bench is an old, traditional type, Deal Kitchen table which I've used for about 45 years. On top of that is a layer of hardboard which has been there for about 40 years. On top of that is an old wooden shelf about 1" thick and approximately A2 size, also 40 years old. On top of that is an A2 Cutting mat, as Peter suggested. The cutting mat gets replaced from time to time but all the rest is original and has stood up to cutting, sawing, drilling, painting, gluing, soft soldering, etc. Things I don't do on it are heavy drilling and metal cutting activities, silver soldering, spray painting, etc, they get done out in the garage, but I do have a small 2" vice attached to one corner for general modelling use.
Philip

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:11 am

I too use kitchen worktop for my bench, protected by one of those green cutting mats that are commonly available. The largest size (I think) covers the bench from front to almost the back and just gets replaced when it is chewed up.

As for height, my bench is 36 inches from the floor to the base of the worktop. Sounds high but I find it ideal as it gives an almost eye-level view when sitting down, and I don't have to bend over too much when standing up.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:59 pm

I agree regarding height Tony, I do not like being hunched over while working.

I have an A3 size cutting matt but looking at the sizes of A1 cutting mats I reckon a couple of them will do the job to cover a decent work area on a larger loco than 16mm scale which is what I am moving onto.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:38 am

I also use the largest cutting mat you can buy, they are a little bit expensive, but has Peter said, The Works" do them cheaper than most. My little worktop is used a lot, I bought it off Amazon, there are other sites on the inter web.... It is lightweight but very strong, with metal legs that have stood my at the time 14 and half stone..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It's down to just under 13 stone now..... :roll: :roll:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:52 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have ordered a couple of A1 sized cutting mats off eBay as they are the exact width of the worktop.

I will post pictures of my new work area once it's all finished if anyone is interested.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:06 pm

Still undecided about height, I keep adjusting between 36" to around 40"

Do most of you work when sitting or standing?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:18 pm

That's a tricky one Tom..... for SM32 work I prefer to sit at a standard height work table, however, if I am working on something larger I think standing is probably better. Your 5" gauge loco might be too chunky to work on and lift about from a seated position? If you begin with a lower height you can always add a platform when required and still be able to sit comfortably when you need to...... best of both worlds!
If you are 6'10" tall then things might be different? I'm just average with a bad back!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Workbench advice

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:04 pm

For the 5" loco I will probably get a trolley lift. This new worktop bench is has to perform multiple roles not just hobby stuff (DIY, repair work, etc).

I sit all day at work so I do prefer to stand when at a bench even with 16mm scale stuff.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:08 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: โ†‘Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:04 pm

I sit all day at work so I do prefer to stand when at a bench even with 16mm scale stuff.
I think you have just answered your own question Tom.... if experience dictates your favoured position stick with it.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:03 pm

Desk with electric height adjustment are common in Denmark and can be picked up secondhand from as little as ยฃ75. They give you the best of both worlds as they can usually be adjusted to between 65-130cm height. I'm on the lookout for one myself at the moment.