Regauging Newquida/LGB

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Regauging Newquida/LGB

Post by angr607 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:54 pm

Afternoon all,

One of my longer-term projects has always been to get some of my LGB bogie coach collection running on 32mm. I tried a while ago by chopping bits out of the plastic then moving the wheels in but these never ran when if at all. So this time I'm looking to do it properly. I know GRS do a wheelset that you can directly swap with an LGB wheelset to regauge it or replace it on the same gauge. Does anyone know what these are? I'm looking for 32mm and 45mm gauges at the moment (some are going to get new wheels to replace the wrecked ones while others are going onto 32mm gauge.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Jon
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Re: Regauging Newquida/LGB

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:48 pm

I think I can answer the first part of your query. GRS supply 32mm gauge wheelsets on a long axle to make regauging LGB and "LGB knock off" stock easier. They just pop into an unaltered bogie frame and away you go. The one issue you might have, if you retain LGB couplings, is that there is a casting sprue on the Newquida couplings that might get in the way. Appropriate remedial treatment with a junior hacksaw solves that problem. I seem to think they do several wheel diameters, so it is a case of have a root around on the website and see what you find.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.