Garden railways mojo

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Andrew

Re: Garden railways mojo

Post by Andrew » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Hello!

We quite often seem to talk about mood and motivation on here, it seems a common theme. One thing I've learned is not to force it when I'm not in the mood for it - for me at least, making or running trains seems to be a great way of passing the time and celebrating a good mood, but it's no way to lift a bad one...

Anyway, here's a practical suggestion... Apart from tinkering with locos, you seem to really enjoy operating. Your line's good for doing that at short notice, eg after work if the mood takes you (a definite plus which I don't have...) but not so good in that it's pretty short - ie you can't do the classic sitting back with a glass of wine/ mug of tea thing, which can be the best way to relax... So... How about adding a couple of points and curves to allow your balloon loop to become a small circuit accessed via a triangular junction? Yes, it'll be the world's shortest continuous run, but you could do some interesting scenic work with the triangle, and you'll be able to set a train running and let it go for a while. Better still you could indulge in two train running, running round the second train and servicing its loco while the first loops the loop. It's something I've thought about instead of my lower terminus to extend the run on my end-to-end line, but the additional lawn it would take up wouldn't go down well with the rest of the family...

Just a thought...

Hope the mojo returns soon,

Andrew.

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:35 pm

I'm still dreaming of putting in the "Return Loop". :roll:
Regards Graham.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:39 pm

I can recommend mid-life crises, I have them on a regular basis. I find they help to keep the current wife on her toes.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Tom the blacksmith
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tom the blacksmith » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:59 pm

Hi Tom,

Rather than lose enthusiasm I find it migrates. I am another one of those with far to many hobbies so I find I stop working on one and get on with another. Have you got other projects on the go?

I've been spending a lot of time gardening which isn't really progressing any projects (apart from being one itself) except next week my mates coming over to help level things out and once that's done I can start sinking railway foundations!

I wouldn't worry about it though, I'm sure you'll be back at it in no time.

Tom

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:56 pm

Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately, all my ideas of a continuous run will encroach onto the lawn or patio which the planning committee would not allow and if I am honest I don't want the garden going back to how it was with the railway dominating. I like a garden railway to be part of the garden not plonk a railway down and then the garden has to work around it.

I did though this weekend spent a fair amount of time on the railway but I will post that in my RWLR thread (the weather was lovely, sunny but not too hot).

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:43 am

Ah, fair enough Tom - I hadn't realised that you were using 2'6" curves, thought you were on the next size up, which match the points. That rules out my continuous run/triangular junction plan without taking up another foot or two of lawn - well, unless you get yourself some Mamod or similar 2'6" points... My old line mixed Peco and Mamod fairly successfully, but it's not to everyone's taste...

Anyway, glad you're back out in the garden!

Andrew.