Vintage tractor size?

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Andrew

Vintage tractor size?

Post by Andrew » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi all,

I've just come across a nice metal tractor in a junk shop. It looks roughly old enough for my 20s/30s era, but I don't know if it's the right sort of size. I can imagine a 16mm farmer sitting on the seat, but it does look a bit on the big side. Does anyone know roughly how long it should be - I can nip back with a ruler!

Thanks,

Andrew

philipy

Re: Vintage tractor size?

Post by philipy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:13 pm

Like everything else dimensions vary and they get bigger as time goes by, but this is the data for the classic "Little Grey Fergie" from the late 40's/early 50's:
Ferguson TEA-20
1946 - 1948
Utility tractor
Ferguson TE-20 Tires:
Ag front: 6.00-16
Ag rear: 11-28

Dimensions:
Weight (operating): 2,760 lbs [1251 kg]
Weight (ballasted): 4,510 lbs [2045 kg]
Wheelbase: 70 inches [177 cm]
Length: 115 inches [292 cm]
Width: 63.5 inches [161 cm]
Height: 52 inches [132 cm]
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:20 pm

Thanks Philip!

I think my junk shop tractor's going to come out too big, but I can get back there on Friday and will check then if it's still there...

Cheers!

Andrew

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:45 pm

Andrew wrote: ↑Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:45 pm I've just come across a nice metal tractor in a junk shop. It looks roughly old enough for my 20s/30s era, but I don't know if it's the right sort of size.
The most common tractor in the '20s in the UK was likely to be the Fordson Model F, which was locally built and very cheap. About the same size as the postwar grey Fergie. You'll find photos all over the net.

Wheelbase - 63". Length - 102". Width - 63". Height - 55". They weren't built in french...... ;)

This site has thumbnails and dimensions of various tractors. The list of names has dates.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/index.html

If it's a diecast model tractor you found it will likely be 1/16 scale, so about 20% oversize for SM32. Tractors come in a lot of sizes though. early McCormick-Deerings look vaguely like a Fordson F on steroids.

Regards,
Graeme

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:00 pm

Thank you! From memory I reckon 20% overscale sounds about right, I'll let you know when I've been back with a ruler...

I'm working solely on my not-terribly-smart phone at the moment so can't work out how to re-size the picture I took...

Cheers,

Andrew

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:49 am

Please let us know soon Andrew, I too have seen a one in my local charity shop and would love to get it for ours.

Are you using the Snapseed App Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:07 am

Hello again...

I measured it up and thought it might just do, at a push, so purchased my toy tractor for the princely sum of Β£2 - I even haggled a little, most unlike me!

Here it is in the garden - posed on the platform because I don't really have any fields or roads, and with a selection of figures from my people pot to test it for size:
tractor.jpg
tractor.jpg (338.8 KiB) Viewed 5125 times

I thought I might get away with it, until I looked online and found that it really did need to be a lot smaller, as demonstrated by this cheerful chap:

Alas, the (WH)WHR will remain tractor-less for now, but thanks for the advice. I'm sufficiently interested that I might just try scratchbuilding one some time...

Cheers,

Andrew

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:23 am

Tractors come in all shapes and sizes and the final photo shows a particularly small one. Your purchase doesn't seem to be any particular make, possibly a tin-plate representation rather than a die-cast scale model. I would use it on my line, possibly poking out of a barn?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:53 am

I'd use if on my layout without hesitation. As Peter says I don't think the rally photo is typical. Looking at your figures alongside it, it looks about right to me, I found this picture on the web which could almost be yours!
tractor.jpg
tractor.jpg (169.79 KiB) Viewed 5118 times
Philip

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:32 am

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:23 am Tractors come in all shapes and sizes and the final photo shows a particularly small one. Your purchase doesn't seem to be any particular make, possibly a tin-plate representation rather than a die-cast scale model. I would use it on my line, possibly poking out of a barn?
Agreed. I'd snap one up and use it too if I came across one. Looks perfecly acceptable to my eyes.

Ian
Ian

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:54 pm

Thanks folks, I'm glad I asked!

There's nowhere for my tractor to go at the moment, but a future rebuild of parts of the railway (see the (WH)WHR thread!) may result in some more scenic space, and I rather fancy a barn, so perhaps that's the route I'll go down...

Cheers,

Andrew.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:23 pm

Andrew wrote: ↑Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:54 pm There's nowhere for my tractor to go at the moment, but a future rebuild of parts of the railway (see the (WH)WHR thread!) may result in some more scenic space, and I rather fancy a barn, so perhaps that's the route I'll go down...
The tractor in the rally photo is a Ferguson. They are known as 'Little Grey Fergies' here in Aust. for good reason. Looks like the rally was in Oz, as I can see a Ford Falcon XE parked in the background.

The model tractor you found looks vaguely like a McCormick-Deering WD6 from the '40s-'50s (except for the strange colour), which are a much bigger tractor than a Fergie. There was a UK version built in Doncaster, the BWD6.

If it were mine, I'd paint it IH red and until you have a barn, or machinery shed, park it in the goods yard as if it has just been delivered.

Regards,
Graeme

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:51 pm

The gray tractor is a fegason the green is a field marshal single cylinder diesel. Tractors come in all sizes so I reckon it looks ok .if you put a john deere model b next to a little gray fegason it would dwaf the fegason. Your tractor looks a bit like an international farmall witch are quite a big tractor.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:19 am

I just love it Andrew, it really looks rather good. I missed getting the one I saw. (I think you know why mate) :cry: Anne did go and have a look to get it. Still there are a few shops around here so maybe I can be has lucky as you were.. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Can you tell me how big it is Andrew, in inches if possible. ;)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:30 am

Thanks again for all the thoughts and advice on this - when I've got a suitable spot for it I'll give it a coat of red paint as suggested and it can take its place on the railway. In the meantime it's gained a new (temporary!) driver...
Monkey.jpg
Monkey.jpg (196.88 KiB) Viewed 4858 times
Rod, the tractor is a fraction over 6" long...

Cheers,

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:06 am

Thanks Andrew.. :thumbright: