Bonding ballast

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Bonding ballast

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:19 pm

My new railway staff (cats) I can foresee them walking all over my loose ballast and doing their business in it so I may need to consider bonding it.

I have a local Wickes that sells different brands of SBR so can I just load up a spray bottle with it and water (what ratio?) and spray on my existing ballast?

My fear is sleepers and ballast turning white!

philipy

Re: Bonding ballast

Post by philipy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:24 pm

Can't answer directly, I've been using the original Cementone SBR.
A quick google shows it to be about £3 more expensive from Toolstation than the Wickes version. I have used Wickes own brand Waterproof PVA and that performs just as well as the Poly product, so I wouldn't have any real hesitation in using the Wickes SBR.

I use the Cementone undiluted direct from the bottle, in a small green coloured sprayer from Tesco which cost a couple of quid about 4 years ago. Do make sure you wash the bottle out 110% after use though, otherwise you'll only get one session out of it!
Yes it will go white when wet but dries completely clear.
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:47 pm

This stuff Phil?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3261147272

It's free postage as well.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Yes, thats the one I've got. Mine came from B&Q I think and cost about that much a couple of years ago, so that is good deal.
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks Phil, I will do a test patch and see how it goes.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:43 pm

I wouldn't dilute at all, it will spread more easily on moist ballast. I prefer to dribble it on, rather than spray it. There tends to be less cleaning up to do.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:54 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:43 pm I wouldn't dilute at all, it will spread more easily on moist ballast. I prefer to dribble it on, rather than spray it. There tends to be less cleaning up to do.
Totally agree with this.... do NOT dilute as it will be ineffective and wasteful. It works by creating a film or skin enclosing the ballast and bonds well. Be generous and keep it protected against rain for a few days. Small ballast material works better than large.... guess how I know this?

In e-bay you can get 5ltrs Everbuild SBR (which I use) for £13.30 freepost.... just type in SBR.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:41 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:54 pm In e-bay you can get 5ltrs Everbuild SBR (which I use) for £13.30 freepost.... just type in SBR.
That's good value - almost half what I pay at my local builders merchant.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:57 am

I'm finding this thread very informative as I will be looking to do something with bonding the ballast on my garden railway extension later this year. At the moment I'm proposing to use a chicken/pigeon grit mixture as it is a bit smaller than horticultural grit and I think looks more realistic. The one thing that does concern me is the permanence of such an arrangement, at the moment if I want to make any changes it's simply brush the ballast away and carry out the change, replace ballast. Using SBR this obviously won't be so easy, how do you folks get on with making any modifications, is the ballast like concrete and impossible to remove or is there something else that I am missing?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Phil

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:20 am

pandsrowe wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:57 am I'm finding this thread very informative as I will be looking to do something with bonding the ballast on my garden railway extension later this year. At the moment I'm proposing to use a chicken/pigeon grit mixture as it is a bit smaller than horticultural grit and I think looks more realistic. The one thing that does concern me is the permanence of such an arrangement, at the moment if I want to make any changes it's simply brush the ballast away and carry out the change, replace ballast. Using SBR this obviously won't be so easy, how do you folks get on with making any modifications, is the ballast like concrete and impossible to remove or is there something else that I am missing?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Yes, it sets very hard, and makes the permanent way very resistant to damage and abuse, but it is possible to remove it. https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11925
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:31 am

Thanks for that information, maybe I need to do a bit of experimenting to establish exactly what will be best suited for my needs.
Phil