Gentlemen of another sort

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Gentlemen of another sort

Post by RylstonLight » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:19 am

I got all excited by the recent post “gentlemen” as I thought it was about toilets! And might provide a solution for my impasse.

I have two Station buildings now with outside toilets, and I’m struggling to make urinals. I am surprised that third party accessories are not available (to my knowledge), and have struggled to represent porcelain urinals. With outside gents so ubiquitous this problem must have been solves before.

Any advice and pictures will be appreciated.

Andy S.
Andy S. at the Rylston Light Railway

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Gentlemen of another sort

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:02 am

Good old outside urinals.... I remember the days! From memory they were quite ornate on the outside but very basic on the inside. Due to the fact they usually had no roof (probably so with yours too if you wish to make the inside visible?) and that there would be little or no maintenance or even cleaning, they had only slab walls to pee against with divisions (occasionally) between users. Having no roof possibly flushed them when it rained?
I modelled mine in this fashion and I think it is a fair example of its type, no complaints from users so far!.....
IMG_3865.JPG
IMG_3865.JPG (123.93 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
IMG_3879.JPG
IMG_3879.JPG (107.74 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
IMG_3863.JPG
IMG_3863.JPG (159.41 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:48 pm

Peter's pictures say it all, from my memory. I've done a couple that were very similar, although no pictures, I'm afraid.

There was an article about building one, either in SMT or Garden Rail about 3 or 4 years ago - can't remember exact details but it was part of a series about using foamboard for buildings.
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:52 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:02 am Good old outside urinals.... I remember the days! From memory they were quite ornate on the outside but very basic on the inside. Due to the fact they usually had no roof (probably so with yours too if you wish to make the inside visible?) and that there would be little or no maintenance or even cleaning, they had only slab walls to pee against with divisions (occasionally) between users. Having no roof possibly flushed them when it rained?
I modelled mine in this fashion and I think it is a fair example of its type, no complaints from users so far!.....
What have you used to get the 'filigree' work on the outside of the panels Peter? My memories of this type of convenience all seem to feature ironwork of that type
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:47 pm

The 'filigree' panels on the outside walls of my urinal are items I have had in stock for many years.... at least 20. Made from an original master by a jeweller friend in Birmingham, they are whitemetal castings and not now available, unfortunately.
I'm sure a 3D print could be made to replicate something similar......
IMG_3881.JPG
IMG_3881.JPG (132.08 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:27 pm

Hijacked :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:23 am

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:47 pm The 'filigree' panels on the outside walls of my urinal are items I have had in stock for many years.... at least 20. Made from an original master by a jeweller friend in Birmingham, they are whitemetal castings and not now available, unfortunately.
I'm sure a 3D print could be made to replicate something similar......
Thank you Peter. Probably lattice would have been a better adjective for what I tried to describe :lol: Even the view of the single panel is helpful. I feel the urge to make a panel to create a mould from, not having access to a 3d printer.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077