Whistle and material dimensions ?

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Whistle and material dimensions ?

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:12 pm

Question to the collective wisdom as I progress the CAD drawings with regards to whistle material sizes.

Brian Wilson writes " the whistle itself is made from thin walled brass tube"

The diameter is 8.00mm but there is no mention in the text or the drawings of the thickness of "thin wall".
Does any one know of a suitable dimension for the thin wall that gives a reasonable tone ? .5mm, 1.00mm or ???????
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Whistle and material dimensions ?

Post by pandsrowe » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:19 am

Years ago whistles would have been made from 'treble tube', tube that had been drawn through the forming die three times, hence the name. I don't think that it is still available but I'm prepared to be proved wrong. I do know that the thinner the tube is the better the sound will be, please don't ask me the theory but I'm sure that others on this group will be along to explain. What I can say for certain is that I fitted a Regner whistle to my Accucraft Ragleth last year and I have been very pleased with the result, a very clear note not like some of the rather pathetic squeaks that I have heard on some locos.
I'm not at home at present but I will endeavour to measure the wall thickness of the whistle tube later on and post the result.
Phil

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:23 am

pandsrowe wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:19 am Years ago whistles would have been made from 'treble tube', tube that had been drawn through the forming die three times, hence the name. I don't think that it is still available but I'm prepared to be proved wrong.
K&S brass tube is the modern equivalent to what LBSC referred to as treblet tube in his articles. I'm told it is triple drawn, certainly it is accurately sized and the inner surface is very smooth.

Regards,
Graeme

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks Graeme for the update on treble tube, I didn't realise that the K&S range of materials was produced to such standards.
Dazza, I've checked my Regner whistle and the tube not including the pipe fitting measures 58mm long, 10mm diameter and ~ 0.5mm wall thickness. Sorry I can't be more accurate but I can't find a way of gauging the tube thickness through the steam aperture, hence having to use a steel rule at an angle with the attendant inaccurate result.
Phil