What on earth?

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

What on earth?

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:22 am

As most of our members appear to have achieved 'a certain age' this should be no problem..... unfortunately the vast majority of my little grey cells are either in hibernation or have left the building, so I just can't remember what a particular material was called.
This 'stuff' was man made and in regular use in about the 1940's era. It was a solid, brown, non-conductive material used in electrical and light engineering applications. It was sold in blocks and could be cut, drilled and tapped. It is not available these days as it has been superseded by plastics etc.
I keep thinking of Paxolin or Bakelite but it is neither of these..... any ideas please?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Re: What on earth?

Post by LNR » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:22 am

Hi Peter,
Could it be Tufnol, otherwise known as Novasteen (spelling?), or sometimes Canvas bakelite. I used it quite a lot when we used to make custom yacht fittings and still have some thin sheet, and some blocks. Handy stuff.
Grant.
PS right with you, re the brain cells.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:47 am

YES!!!! Tufnol it certainly is..... why couldn't I think of that? Thanks Grant, I can rest easy now. I don't have a need for any, it's just one of those silly things which crops up in conversation sometimes.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:59 pm

I come across bevel gears made from Tufnol now and again in my full time work, they nearly always date from the 50s and rarely show signs of wear.

Was quite a versatile material really.
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:22 am It is not available these days as it has been superseded by plastics etc.
I keep thinking of Paxolin or Bakelite but it is neither of these..... any ideas please?
Wot Grant said.

Tufnol is the trademark of one brand of phenolic bonded cotton and it is still available as far as I know. The Tufnol company have a website.

Pazolin is another trademark and is phenolic bonded paper, same resin, different fibre. Bakelite was the first phenolic resin and generally has wood fibre in it, although once upon a time it could contain asbestos.

Phenolic resins are still manufactured, although the chattering classes would probably like to see the end of them........

Graeme