Buffer Centre Height - German 750mm Guage lines

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Buffer Centre Height - German 750mm Guage lines

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:10 pm

OK, I now have brain cramps from reading German, but I am no closer to discovering this handy tidbit of information, though in among hands, I discovered that metre gauge lines have the centre buffer-coupler at 750mm, that the Austrians use 560-570mm on their 760mm gauge lines, and that the Heberlein cable brake is still legal. Would one of you fellows happen to have that dimension to hand?

Many thanks,
Peter in VA
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Big Jim

Re: Buffer Centre Height - German 750mm Guage lines

Post by Big Jim » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:48 pm

While only a suggestion, from front on pictures of 750mm locos and compared to track gauge it appears not to be 750mm high, It appears to be considerably lower. Not exact at all but might be a point in the right direction.

I could be completely wrong.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:25 pm

I am think we are looking at something between 500mm and 600mm. Norwegian 750mm gauge lines used 500mm, and that looks lower than the German standard - maybe by about 50-75mm. I'll keep googling, and see if I can throw up a drawing that has it. I am procrastinating about starting Sunday's sermon. I cannot write a sermon worth listening to unless panic has first set in!

Peter in Va

Update: Eyeballing it from side views of DR class 99.7 locos it looks to be somewhere around 550mm, maybe 560mm, but I would be surprised if it were much more.

P
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:54 pm

I know what you mean about deadlines, I need a spot of adrenaline caused by a rapidly approaching deadline to get anything done. I can always find an excuse to do something else.
Is it just one you have for Sunday? Not wishing to boast but I have three this weekend :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:16 pm

I usually have one on a winter Sunday; two when we have an evening service. However, the tradition here is for expository preaching (liberal Evangelical, but not like UK open Evangelicalism,) which is a lot of prep., and I am also teaching up at the Theological Institute every week. I have to be on my game as I do have folks who are much better at Greek than I am in the congregation! The preaching schedule was heavier in my old parish, but the standard did not have to be so high, and it was more difficult to get away to perform episcopal functions. Being a fairly Low Church crowd, our folks don't like bishops who have a lot of time to interfere with parish matters. ;)

I still have not solved the coupling height thing, but I think we are looking at something like 550 or 575mm when compared to the rear carrying wheels of a 2-10-2T, so I suppose I am looking at something like the usual 24/25mm in 1:22.5 scale.

Cheers,
Peter in Va

KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by KjellAn » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:19 am

Interesting issue ...
I think the coupling hight is about 750mm also on those 750mm «schmalspurbahnen» in Germany. But it is hard to find drawings with the coupling hight. Look for Rasender Roland and Öchslebahn, but non of them have good drawings of their engines - only pics.
Kjell Anderdal :)

Livesteam 16mm on my line - the Pine Hill Railway (PHRy)

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:01 am

I eventually found a drawing of a 750mm steam rail motor from Saxe-Wurttemberg which gave the coupler centre as 550mm, which would be about what I would expect. I had spent hours looks for a drawing of a Saxon locomotive, but none of them had the coupler centre height. It is about mid-thigh on most men, but wat height is that? Rasender Roland is a bit of a pain because those huge centre buffers make guessing difficult.

Norway is much more obliging, as your railway equipment manufacturers always seem to put the coupler centre height on their drawings. The Austrians did it just often enough that it isn't a hard thing to find out.

Cheers,
Peter in Va