I'm looking for an effective paint spray booth for models

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

I'm looking for an effective paint spray booth for models

Post by andymctractor » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:42 pm

Sometime ago I purchased a portable fold up paint spray booth from a tool retailer at a model railway show. It works in so much as the fan sucks air through the filter. The unit is connected through the wall of my shed via a 100mm vent tube. The problem is that the suction is nowhere near enough to work effectively except for very light work.
It has sat in my shed unused for some time now. I have to wait for a windless not too cold day to do my spraying in a cardboard box outside.
I'm looking to replace it with a unit that works so that I can carry out normal model spraying within my shed. I always wear approved face masks but I do need the spray booth to do the majority of the work protecting me and the other contents of my shed.
Use of the spray booth would be fairly infrequent but I would like to be able to trust it to do the job when it is used. It doesn't need to be portable.

Does anyone have experience of an effective paint spray booth available in the UK?

Apologies if this question has been asked before.

Regards
Andy McMahon
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I'm looking for an effective paint spray booth for models.

Post by ge_rik » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:06 am

Hi Andy
I use one of those folding spray booths, I assume it's the same or similar to yours. I've not experienced too many problems with mine, though sometimes I find it's a bit too small for some of my larger projects. It is possible to clip two (or more) of my sort of booth together, side by side which would double its capacity and presumably also double the power. Might that be a solution?

Also, I find I have to clean the filter every so often. The first very coarse filter gets quite clogged after a few spray sessions. It's a horrible job cleaning it (definitely need the face mask) but I find it does make a difference.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Thanks for the reply Rik.
I have changed the filter for a new one but even with no filter on the amount of suction is very limited.
It is alway possible that I'm expecting too much from a hobby machine.
The advice that if you can smell it then it is getting into your lungs spooks me a bit especially when I hear my neighbour hacking his damaged lungs if he does a bit of work in the garden.
Also I do sometimes use spray cans which deliver larger quantities of paint and more potential for harm.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:43 pm

andymctractor wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:42 pm Thanks for the reply Rik.
I have changed the filter for a new one but even with no filter on the amount of suction is very limited.
It is alway possible that I'm expecting too much from a hobby machine.
The advice that if you can smell it then it is getting into your lungs spooks me a bit especially when I hear my neighbour hacking his damaged lungs if he does a bit of work in the garden.
Also I do sometimes use spray cans which deliver larger quantities of paint and more potential for harm.
I use a mask when I'm spraying and can't smell a thing. Mind you, it is quite an expensive mask which is the same as professional car sprayers use. I did used to use those cheapo disposable masks which I think are little more than a token gesture.

Rik
PS - Yes , I use rattle cans too.
PPS - I do notice the difference between spraying without the fan switched on and spraying with it switched on. However, I'm assuming the booth extracts the droplets of paint rather than all the fumes as well. I do have to leave the doors and windows open in my workshop (well conservatory) after spraying to get rid of the smell.
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:20 pm

This is a problem that you get when using a spray booth, you need a decent amount of air movement to remove the vapour, but not so much that you end up spraying in a draught. What I have done in the past is use a small desk fan behind me to help push the over spray into the spray booth to be removed by the extractor fan.
Filters can clog really quickly, worse when using a rattle can rather than an airbrush.

Use of a decent mask is a must. Paper dusts masks are okay for sanding but not paint. I was quite alarmed a few years ago when spraying some coaches, I was smoking while doing it and when I stubbed the fag out, I noticed that the filter tip was tinted green, rather than the normal nicotine orange. :pale:
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:53 pm

Thanks Big Jim and Rik,
I've picked up on what you've said.
I do use a good quality face mask and I have a large desk fan that I can utilize so I think I will try again.

Thanks again for replying.
Regards
Andy McMahon

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:48 pm

This is my Spray Paint Booth made from left over 5 ply board I used for re-enforcing the floor of the shed. I have used a Bathroom extractor fan with an expandable hose. Total cost..£18. It is ok for painting wagons and small coach’s, bear in mind, I made this for painting my N Gauge stuff, so if I need to paint bigger stuff, it wouldn’t take me long to do another one... although i have painted some 32mm wagons and a couple of coaches in it easy enough, so if i did get something larger i would try it first. :thumb right:

DSCN3179.JPG
DSCN3179.JPG (900.28 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
DSCN3181.JPG
DSCN3181.JPG (882.85 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
DSCN3182.JPG
DSCN3182.JPG (911.33 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
DSCN3185.jpg
DSCN3185.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 4690 times

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:55 pm

This looks very good and convenient to use. My fear with self build is whether any fan and motor I use are spark free or likely to be safe with a mist of potentially combustable paint spray being sucked through it.
It certainly looks as though the exhaust fan is very much more effective than my present one.

Thanks
Regards
Andy McMahon

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:43 am

This fan has the motor enclosed because it is for use in a bathroom. :santa: :santa: :santa: :santa:

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: I'm looking for an effective paint spray booth for models

Post by andymctractor » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:41 pm

FWLR wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:43 am This fan has the motor enclosed because it is for use in a bathroom. :santa: :santa: :santa: :santa:
:shock: Good point.
Regards
Andy McMahon