Bowaters Models - 16mm Rolling Stock Kits

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Bowaters Models - 16mm Rolling Stock Kits

Post by angr607 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:00 pm

After a number of people have asked if these will be available to other people, I've decided to start producing a series of kits for the 16mm Market based on the stock of the Sittingbourne and Kemsley Light Railway/Bowaters Paper Railway under a completely different identity 'Bowaters Models'.

After a period of research, I've decided to make available a small selection of the various items of rolling stock that were used on the line all based around the standard 10/14Ton Pulp Wagons from various builders. All of them will feature multimedia construction with the goal being to produce accurate kits that people with very little 16mm kit building experience could assemble with relative ease. The current plan is to produce the kits to order with a short delay between order and delivery (ideally no more than 14 days).

The initial designs are for 5 Wagon Variants (1 Flat wagon, 3 10 Ton Wagons and 1 14 Ton Wagon) and all 3 different Staff Coach Conversion variants (Coaches 641 and 657-660). All of them have been drawn up with prototype kits made for the 14 Ton Butterley Build Plup Wagon and one of the Staff Coach conversions (Coach 641). I've also drawn up a version for Coach 641 as running today for a Proof of Concept so I could work out what worked and what didn't design wise. Bogies are all by IP Engineering with Accucraft Chopper Couplings.

Coach 641 as Running today aka the Proof of Concept. Known problems with the Headstocks as designed meant they were 20mm too short making it look shorter than it should have been

The Prototype for the 14 Ton Pulp Wagons built by Butterley. Etches have been drawn up to overlay the sides, provide Numberplates and to add locating sections for side stakes.

The Proof of Concept and first Pulp Wagon prototype shown together on my Garden Railway during Coupling trials which ended in success!

Both Wagons shown at work behind one of my Engines at a friend's railway for the first time.

First Coach 641 prototype under construction showing the interior seating arrangements for the kit

Hopefully I'll have some more news in the coming weeks as things progress.

Cheers,

Jon
Last edited by angr607 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:11 pm

How much will you be charging? as i may be interested in the coach kit
Steam is highly under rated

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:13 pm

I'll be watching this one! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:20 pm

Thanks Gents, with regards to pricing, the current estimates are the following. Only take them with a pinch of salt as they may change in the near future.

Flat Wagons - £30
10 Ton Pulp Wagons - £55
14 Ton Pulp Wagons - £65
Staff Coaches - £90

At the moment, that doesn't include Couplings (unlikely to be included) or Bogies (Working on it).

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:11 pm

Well here's a little update, I've received the latest cuts for the new Wooden Bodied Pulp wagons along with the test cut for Coach 641 as built (which is the kit variant). All went together very well and was a great clean cut.

Here's the 10 ton Flat Wagon kit. Ironically, it will be cheapest kit in the range because of the lack of headstocks (which seem to double the cost annoyingly).

Here's the version of Coach 641 that's likely to be released. The 1st Picture shows the side with a door on and the 2nd shows the side without it. There are some changes that need to be made before release but the overall design is now proven which is all good from my perspective.

I've also got a website for it all which can be found here:- http://bowatersmodels.x10host.com/

It also shows what I'm hoping to make available at first plus there's a fair bit that's sitting on my ideas list that may make an appearence as well.....

Cheers,

Jon
Last edited by angr607 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Rebuilding the Railway!

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:43 am

Watching with interest!
Chris Auckland

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:02 am

After some more development work, I've been able to finish off a small number of other wagons. I'm happy with them and as such I'm aiming to get the majority of them ready for release around the end of March/Beginning of April. I'm planning to get the various kits produced in mixed batches of about 5 kits with a maximum wait of about 6 weeks. I've also been able to finalize the costs involved.

The Flat Wagon - £30
The Pulp Wagons (all Varients) - £60
The Staff Coaches - £90

The first kits available should be the 4 Wooden Bodied wagons. Then hopefully followed by the 14 ton Butterley Wagon. I'm still sorting out a place where the kits will be orderable from but hopefully it won't be too long before that's all ready. Until then, if people definitely want to make sure any kits they want will be in the first batch, PM me on here and I'll be able to give more details.

The initial range covers the following variants:-

BMW-001 SKLR 14 Ton Butterley All Steel Wagon 
BMW-002 SKLR 10 Ton Bagnall Bogie Flat Wagon
BMW-003 SKLR 8 Ton Bagnall/Kerr Stuart Pulp Wagon
BMW-004 SKLR 4xx Series 10 Ton Bagnall/Kerr Stuart Bogie Flat Wagon
BMW-005 SKLR 5xx Series 10 Ton Bagnall/Kerr Stuart Bogie Flat Wagon
BMC-001 SKLR Staff Coach No.641
BMC-002 SKLR Staff Coach No.657/658
BMC-003 SKLR Staff Coach No.659/660

BMW-001

BMW-002

BMW-003

BMW-004 (BMW-005 is virtually Identical bar detail differences)

BMC-001

BMC-002 (BMC-003 is virtually identical with the doors being located at the opposite ends of the coach)

Any questions, please ask :)

Cheers,

Jon
Last edited by angr607 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:59 pm

After some interesting discussions, I'm pleased to announce that the entire range of Bowaters Models kits will be available to order from both our own website and though the well known 16mm etched nameplate providers 'Narrow Planet'.

At the moment, its planned the Earlier Pulp wagons will be available first followed by the 14 Ton all steel variants. There's been a number of faults brought to my attention with regards to the coaches so there will be a short wait while they are sorted out accordingly

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:37 pm

Gents, after some further tweaking I'm pleased to announce that the first items in the Bowaters Model Range has now been released on our website. The following kits have been released with paypal payment now available:-

BMW-002 SKLR 10 Ton Bagnall Flat Wagon
BMW-003 SKLR 8 Ton Bagnall/Kerr Stuart Pulp Wagon
BMW-004 SKLR 10 Ton Kerr Stuart 4xx Series Pulp Wagon
BMW-005 SKLR 10 Ton Bagnall 5xx Series Pulp Wagon
It is hoped that the remaining Pulp wagon will be released within the next couple of months.

The website is available here:- www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

New Releases

Post by angr607 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:57 pm

Latest from Bowaters Models:-

Brand new today, we’ve released our 3 kits which cover the original Staff Coaches from the former Bowaters Paper Railway. These now see active use on the SKLR today in passenger service. We’ve covered all 3 different designs which are as follows:-

BMC-001 Staff Coach No.641
BMC-002 Staff Coach No.657/658
BMC-003 Staff Coach No.659/660

BMC-001

BMC-002 (BMC-003 is virtually identical with the doors being located at the opposite ends of the coach)

All 3 are available with options for 3D printed Headstocks and Wooden Headstocks from today (11/06/15) from both ourselves and our friends at Narrow Planet. The images above show two of the prototypes which are different to the production kits. To have a look for yourself, go to:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk/sklrstaffcoaches/

We've also updated the website to show the full list of our 16mm Bowaters Themed Loco sets which have been produced exclusively for us by Narrow Planet. Initially, there are sets for the Locomotives 'Premier', 'Leader', 'Excelsior' (see the below image) and 'Superior' available from stock with other Bowaters Engines available on request.

NPBW-1603 Kerr Stuart 'Excelsior' shown on a Accucraft Excelsior

Cheers,

Jon
Last edited by angr607 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rebuilding the Railway!

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:23 pm

Any progress on the Chattenden and Upnor coaches?
Chris Auckland

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:48 pm

SpudUk:111756 wrote:Any progress on the Chattenden and Upnor coaches?
Hi,

They're still in the works. They're complete at a CAD level but are awaiting a test cut and assembly. I'm aiming to get them released around the middle of the year.

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:25 pm

Coming during 2017!

Bowaters Models are pleased to announce that we're working on a range of Ffestiniog Railways Coaches. The initial range will cover the following coaches:-

FR 'Barn' Observation Coach No.102
FR 'Barn' All 3rd Coach No.105
FR 'Carnforth' Composite Coach No.112
FR 'Carnforth' Composite Coach No.113
FR 'Carnforth' 3rd Class/Buffet Coach No.114

Details are still being fleshed out and pricing is unconfirmed. The current plan is they will use bogies that can be built as either 32mm or 45mm. The minimum radius is looking at being 5-6ft although that may change when I have a prototype to test which should be with me in a few weeks.

The kits will follow the Bowaters Models principle of being easy to assemble. The recommended couplings will be the superb Accucraft Chopper couplings, the same as the Sittingbourne and Kemsley Railway Stock.

We're aiming to have the first prototype (possibly Prototypes depending on how long it takes to receive the first cuts) with us at Narrow Gauge South at Sparsholt in Winchester this April.

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:51 am

Just a quick message to say we are still alive and things are progressing. We're looking at Prototyping the SKLR Chattenden and Upnor Coaches shortly along with the first of our FR Coaches. Design work is complete on the majority of our upcoming products (except one which is still giving us headaches). See our website for more information!

www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Cheers,

Jon

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Bowaters Models - 16mm Rolling Stock Kits

Post by angr607 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:34 pm

Well, as anyone who went to Peterborough will now, we released a couple of kits and we're now taking orders for the others. So to update you on our current projects, here's a little post.

Ffestiniog Railway Coaches

The 5 FR Coaches are all progressing well. We're now in a position to start accepting orders for all 5 variants. We've formally released the first two with approximate release dates for the others.

BMF-001 Ffestiniog Railway Coach No.102 - Approximate Release Date End of August/Early September
BMF-002 Ffestiniog Railway Coach No.105 - Approximate Release Date End of May/Early June
BMF-003 Ffestiniog Railway Coach No.112 - Released
BMF-004 Ffestiniog Railway Coach No.114 - Released
BMF-005 Ffestiniog Railway Coach No.105 with Early sides - Approximate Release Date End of October/Early November

Ffestiniog Railway Coaches 112 and 114. First images of Coach 105 are expected tail end of this week.

Chattenden and Upnor Coaches

The 3 C&U Coaches are all at the same stage they were at a few months ago. The first two are drawn up and awaiting checking before sending off for Prototypes. This is dependent on time/finances but we're hoping they'll surface the last quarter of this year.

BMU-001 Chattenden and Upnor Railway Coach 196/199 - Designed in 2D, awaiting prototyping
BMU-002 Chattenden and Upnor Railway Coach 200 - Designed in 2D, awaiting prototyping
BMu-003 Chattenden and Upnor Railway Coach 204 - Research underway

Screenshot out of our CAD software showing 196's side pieces

Bowaters

Our range of Bowaters has stayed fairly consistent throughout the year although we are planning some additions over time. Mainly adding a third Preservation Era coach to the range along with a Pulp wagon Coal Conversion. Both projects are progressing well with research being undertaken on both at the present time. We're also working on our own Locomotive kit appropiately based on the Bowaters Battery Electric 'The Tank'. Its being sized around a IP Engineering chassis at first and we might explore our own at a later date.

BME-001 Bowaters Paper Railway 'The Tank' - 2D Design work in progress
BMC-004 SKLR Preservation Coach 626/633 as built - Released
BMC-005 SKLR Preservation Coach 626 as running today - Research in progress
BMC-006 SKLR Covered Coach 641 as running today - Released
BMW-006 Bowaters Paper Railway 20 Ton Bagnall Coal Wagon - Research in progress

One of our current Bowaters range

Sandy River and Rangley Lakes

At the moment, this is a project that's very much a wait and see. We might progress with this one, we might not. The plan is to cover the 4 ex-Phillips and Rangeley Coaches built with the Domed Roofs with potenially others to follow later. We're still doing our research into these at the moment as well as working out the potenial demand. These will be long coaches (at 46 scale feet (736mm)) although they should look good with the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes engines from both LGB and Roundhouse. We are aware of the upcoming 7/8ths scale Sandy River Forney from Accucraft however we are not planning to produce any kits to run with the engine just yet. If you are interested in either a 16mm version or a potenial 7/8ths scale (Warning, these kits will be absolutely massive at over 1m long each in 7/8ths), please get in touch!

Image of one of the prototype coaches preserved today in Maine. Image from wikipedia:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Nar ... oad_Museum

Shows

We've just come back from our first Peterborough and loved every second of it. We're hopefully looking into coming back next year alongside Narrow Planet once again although this will be commitment/diaries depending. We've only got one other show this year which is ExpoNG in October down in Kent. Once that show is out of the way, we're looking at our 2018 diary and starting to pencil one or two shows in already of which Peterborough is one of them.

To view our range, please visit our website at www.bowatersmodels.co.uk or e-mail us at info@bowatersmodels.co.uk if you have any questions.

Jon, Bowaters Models
Last edited by angr607 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rebuilding the Railway!

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:09 am

Are there any photographs of painted and completed FR coaches? Quite like the look of them.

Really interested in the C&U coaches, shall watch with interest!

Thanks

Chris
Chris Auckland

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:07 pm

SpudUk wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:09 am Are there any photographs of painted and completed FR coaches? Quite like the look of them.

Really interested in the C&U coaches, shall watch with interest!

Thanks

Chris
Hi Chris,

No complete and painted coaches yet. I'm waiting on getting all 4 together before sending them all off to be done by a contact of mine. Makes more sense to get all 4 done together rather than worry about sending them one by one.

That said, I've had a very busy week. Apart from recovering from Peterborough, a lot of finalizing design work has been under taken on the FR coaches to take into account modifications needed from the prototypes. I've also assembled Coach 105 which I'm pleased to unveil the first pictures of. Its not complete as there are some bits missing (don't worry, I know where they are) or others needed a quick redesign to fit. Those who ordered the full set of FR coaches should receive a e-mail with a rough time plan for receiving your coaches. At the moment, I'm looking at 4-6 weeks to us being in a position to get them to you as long as everything works as planned.

For those who potentially want other FR coaches, by special request, I've done a modification of Coach 105 to have squared off windows. This means externally, it looks very similar to Coaches 106 and 107. Please note, it still shares the interior with 105 so is very much in the style of externally. This version has been added to our production planning and will finish off the range we're currently producing. Stay tuned for the first images of that in hopefully a couple of weeks!

Cheers,

Jon
Last edited by angr607 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:16 pm

As things progress, things start to grow. And Bowaters Models is no different! We're starting to look beyond our current range and starting to look at other Prototypes. As such, we're starting work on the next range to follow on from our Ffestiniog, Chattenden & Upnor and Sittingbourne Ranges.

As such, we're pleased to announce our potential 2018/2019 range which will hopefully see us starting work on a Maine Two Footers Range! Focusing on the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes, we've selected a range of 4 Coaches, 3 Freight Cars and a Caboose which will form the initial range allowing a mix of Sandy River trains to be run. The Range at present consists of the following items:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8467804@N ... 13/sizes/l

BMS-001 SR&RL Combine No.14
BMS-002 SR&RL Combine No.15
BMS-003 SR&RL Coach No.19/20
BMS-101 SR&RL Box Car No.100-108
BMS-102 SR&RL Flat Car/Pulpwood Car/Coal Car No.200-210
BMS-103 SR&RL Flat Car/Pulpwood Car/Coal Car No.400-437
BMS-201 SR&RL Caboose No.553

By popular demand, We are looking at potentially up-scaling a number of our kits to 7/8ths scale to match the new Accucraft Forney. This will most likely be items from the BMS-10x and BMS-20x ranges. Likewise, if there are any other Sandy River items of rolling stock you would potentially be interested in, please let us know so we can shape the ranges appropriately.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pavdw/9479587784/sizes/l

At the moment, this range is very much in the research stage and depending on the demand, this range may go into production. Likewise, if there are any particular Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes items of Rolling stock, let us know!

If you do want any part of this range, please contact us via e-mail at info@bowatersmodels.co.uk to register your interest.
Images from Flickr and used under Creative Commons Licensing https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:31 pm

A small update for those looking for our FR Coaches, I'm suitably happy with all 5 coaches so they're all released! You can buy either from myself via the website or via the Narrow Planet store.

All 5 Coaches together

FR Coach 102 minus 3D printed section.

FR Coach 105 now complete.

FR Coach '106/107'

Work is also rapidly progressing on my own Motive Power Kit (based on the Bowaters Battery Electric engine 'The Tank') which should see a prototype appearing once things calm down a bit. We've also design locked two of our Chattenden and Upnor Coaches ready for prototype production. I'm still researching the 3rd but it's proving harder to research than first thought.

As part of my commitment to reduce our environmental impact, a while ago I switched to Digital Copies of all of our instructions. I'm pleased to unveil the new online home for them as part of my website. I'm also pleased to unveil the first of two Catalogues which will cover my range from 2017-2019. Everything on this page is likely to be updated from time to time so I recommend checking back often to ensure you have the latest information.
http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk/documentation/

Thanks to everyone for the Fantastic Response to our announcement for my potential 2018/2019 range. I'm going to go through responses to work out what to do and what to produce. Safe to say from the response I've had, you can safely guarantee some form of Sandy River Range will be appearing once my current backlog is out the way!

For those who are curious about that backlog, it is as follows:-
BMU-001 C&U Coach 196/200 - Due 3rd Quarter 2017
BMU-001 C&U Coach 199 - Due 3rd Quarter 2017
BME-001 Bowaters 'The Tank' - Due 4th Quarter 2017
BMU-003 C&U Coach 2014 - Due 1st Quarter 2018

As with all our backlog, things can change over a matter of hours let alone months. More information will follow on my Facebook page as projects progress.

Cheers,

Jon
Last edited by angr607 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rebuilding the Railway!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Tue May 23, 2017 11:23 am

Hi Jon,
Saw your models on the stand at Peterborough, loved the Barn carriages.
I know it's early days, but are you planning anymore FR carriages? The Super Barns would likely be the next logical step!
Look forward to the SRRL stock