Following in the steps of giants (sorry Rik!)

What is your latest project?
Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Following in the steps of giants (sorry Rik!)

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:21 pm

My first traction for my garden railway was an HGLW steeplecab loco, which I christened Mochyn.

She has proved a very reliable and capable, if somewhat slow, loco, and happily runs for hours on 3v from a AA twin pack. Seeing ge_rik's efforts with radio convinced me that I could also fit rc in this little workhorse.
The big problem with this locomotive was where to put everything. The Receiver I have chosen requires a minimum working voltage of 3.0v. Mochyn, as factory fitted has a AA battery box, providing either 3.0v with new alkalines, or 2.8v with rechargeables. There just isn't room to squeeze another AA battery in there, let alone the extra items I intend to fit.
Fortunately I had a cunning plan. Given her very general duties, including pway work, it made sense that she should have her own tool wagon for those running repairs often required on the line. If that should just happen to be big enough to house an 18650 li-ion cell or two, our power problems will disappear!
Did I mention the sound card too?
mochyn1.jpg
mochyn1.jpg (185.84 KiB) Viewed 4152 times
It's a top of the range LXB 15B - aka a soft toy or greeting card recordable sound unit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1216859...amp ... EBIDX%3AIT A bit of a budgetary stretch at £1.29 plus free postage from HK, but hey! Once again, no originality here, the unit was described by Rik in an earlier thread; although I had a very similar setup with an even more flimsy recordable 2 minute sound unit on a model corvette when I was into model boats, which played samples from 'The Cruel Sea'. Incredibly, I still have the sample, but alas not the corvette!
The unit as supplied has on board batteries, LED, a record switch, a play switch, a microphone and a speaker. Now I've got the sound file I'm happy with on there, I have removed all the components other than the speaker and on/off switch - the power supply is from the drive battery, and although the sound file is only 10 seconds long, a wire loop from the microphone to the on/off switch makes it loop endlessly, until you switch it off.

Having sought advice from Rik, the RC I have chosen is Deltang. I've also been fortunate enough to be allowed to play with a couple of locos equipped with this system recently. I really like the hand controller, as opposed to a great clunking R/C TX in the style of aero models, and the Deltang TX22 can run up to 12 models. It also has the advantage of coming in the form of a self assembly kit, which makes it a very affordable Tx at £28. The other advantage is that the Rx's are minute - on it's own, that would not pose a problem fitting into such a small engine - the requirement for a minimum 3v is, as I have said, the issue.

I've fitted a power supply lead which runs out to the rear of the loco, and done away with the on board power supply. I could conceivably have squeezed a sub AA lithium camera battery in, but I think duration would have become an issue, as well as cost of replacement! Note the tiny plug on the end - from a dolls house supplier intended for doll's house lighting. The single 18650 cell (3.7v) provides sufficient juice for 3 or so hours running, and when the voltage drops to 3.0v, the Rx cuts the power - not only saving the Rx, but also the voltage below which you shouldn't discharge these cells!
mochyn2.jpg
mochyn2.jpg (237.86 KiB) Viewed 4152 times
After a repaint to bring her colours into line with my companies' chosen colour scheme, she is now providing sterling service again, with the added benefits of variable speed and sound. The sound card is currently switched manually from the cab, but the diminutive Rx has provision to switch this remotely. As soon as my soldering nerve returns, I shall connect the card to it!
Last edited by Lonsdaler on Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

daveyrd11
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by daveyrd11 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:00 pm

Nice little conversion and a good looking loco.
I also use a tx22 I find it just perfect for small locos

I can recommend one of these USB charger boards for charging the li ion.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 70&alt=web
They are small enough to build into a loco or wagon, you can just plug into any USB socket or phone charger to charge up!

I have fitted these to the bottom of my coaches to charge the batteries for the lighting, it works a treat!
Put that light out!

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:14 pm

daveyrd11:112897 wrote:Nice little conversion and a good looking loco.
I also use a tx22 I find it just perfect for small locos

I can recommend one of these USB charger boards for charging the li ion.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 70&alt=web
They are small enough to build into a loco or wagon, you can just plug into any USB socket or phone charger to charge up!

I have fitted these to the bottom of my coaches to charge the batteries for the lighting, it works a treat!
Thanks for that; unfortunately the listing has ended. I'll have to have a browse around the auction sites. At the moment I'm just swapping the battery over for a ready charged one, and using the supplied charger.
For the benefit of others, here's an image of the receiver in my loco.
2015-08-04 Mochyn Rx Installation.jpg
2015-08-04 Mochyn Rx Installation.jpg (352.19 KiB) Viewed 4073 times
It's the small object wedged into the top corner, with a no. 7 on it. The original choc-block motor connector gives a good idea of the size 8)
Last edited by Lonsdaler on Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:26 am

I like the turntable scene, especially the "very low-relief" shed - I plan to do something similar with some quarry gates, my quarry being the other side of a similar obstacle!

Cheers,

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:19 pm

A clever and very attractive build - thanks for the credit but I'm sure much of the development was down to you. I managed to squeeze two 14500 (AA sized) li-ions on board my Simplex, wired in parallel - but then Ivan designed it to accommodate two AA batteries so it wasn't too difficult.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:53 pm

ge_rik:112919 wrote:A clever and very attractive build - thanks for the credit but I'm sure much of the development was down to you. I managed to squeeze two 14500 (AA sized) li-ions on board my Simplex, wired in parallel - but then Ivan designed it to accommodate two AA batteries so it wasn't too difficult.

Rik
You're too kind Rik, but this really wouldn't have happened without your advice and oh so helpful blogs.:)
The steeple cab loco is designed to accommodate 2 AA batteries also. The problem is that with the space being split effectively into 2 small compartments, with the motor in the middle, I just couldn't devise a way to fit all the gubbins and batteries. Besides, as the Rx needs a minimum of 3v, I thought just 2 AA batteries wouldn't cut it for long, if at all.
Phil

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:56 pm

Andrew:112916 wrote:I like the turntable scene, especially the "very low-relief" shed - I plan to do something similar with some quarry gates, my quarry being the other side of a similar obstacle!

Cheers,

Andrew.
Thanks Andrew, but of course once you open the shed doors, a particularly cavernous (some might say magical) storage facility is revealed... ;)

All still a work in progress.
Phil

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:36 pm

Rik[/quote]

You're too kind Rik, but this really wouldn't have happened without your advice and oh so helpful blogs.:)
The steeple cab loco is designed to accommodate 2 AA batteries also. The problem is that with the space being split effectively into 2 small compartments, with the motor in the middle, I just couldn't devise a way to fit all the gubbins and batteries. Besides, as the Rx needs a minimum of 3v, I thought just 2 AA batteries wouldn't cut it for long, if at all.[/quote]

I am using a 3.7 volt LiPo battery 750mah which seem to run the hglw motors well. Though I haven't run it on a time trial yet. The dimensions are 60mm x 25mm x 8mm.
Regards Graham.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:55 pm

Gralyn:112926 wrote: I am using a 3.7 volt LiPo battery 750mah which seem to run the hglw motors well. Though I haven't run it on a time trial yet. The dimensions are 60mm x 25mm x 8mm.
I use a single 18650 3.7v li-ion on my HGLW powered IP bash (bought like that from eBay). It's enough to power the loco and the rx, but the rx did struggle a bit when I tried re-programming it when powered by 3.7v so I put it on a 4.5v battery for the programming.

Rik
------------------------

daveyrd11
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by daveyrd11 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:02 pm

Sorry, hadn't noticed that the listing had ended! Try this link if you are interested.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 95&alt=web

The small size is a major advantage of the deltang units, especially when you consider that it includes the ESC. We managed to fit one under the bonnet of an ip Lister with two small batteries below the footplate! Something that would have been impossible a few years ago.

Put that light out!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:09 pm

daveyrd11:112935 wrote:Sorry, hadn't noticed that the listing had ended! Try this link if you are interested.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 95&alt=web

The small size is a major advantage of the deltang units, especially when you consider that it includes the ESC. We managed to fit one under the bonnet of an ip Lister with two small batteries below the footplate! Something that would have been impossible a few years ago.
Brilliant!
What a great photo, too!

Rik
------------------------

Stewart Gethin
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Stewart Gethin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:21 pm

Very nice job. Just convinced me to have a go at doing it to my HGLW loco.

I was just browsing through Deltangs website and was just wondering where do you actually buy yours? (in the UK)

Stewart

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:27 pm

Stewart Gethin:112971 wrote:Very nice job. Just convinced me to have a go at doing it to my HGLW loco.

I was just browsing through Deltangs website and was just wondering where do you actually buy yours? (in the UK)

Stewart
I don't know about the others but I buy mine directly from David at Deltang. I give him the order and ask for a PayPal invoice. Once I've paid he generally sends the stuff by return of (first class) post - so I often get it the day after I ordered it.

Rik
------------------------

Stewart Gethin
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Stewart Gethin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:28 pm

ge_rik:112972 wrote:
Stewart Gethin:112971 wrote:Very nice job. Just convinced me to have a go at doing it to my HGLW loco.

Stewart
I don't know about the others but I buy mine directly from David at Deltang. I give him the order and ask for a PayPal invoice. Once I've paid he generally sends the stuff by return of (first class) post - so I often get it the day after I ordered it.

Rik
Hi Rik,

Just reading your blog post now, very informative. Will give it a shot and see what happens.

Stewart

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:05 pm

Stewart Gethin:112973 wrote:
ge_rik:112972 wrote:

Stewart

Rik
Hi Rik,

Just reading your blog post now, very informative. Will give it a shot and see what happens.

Stewart
I don't think you'll be disappointed Stewart. David (DelTang)'s website doesn't really make it clear that he sells the items direct. Like you I wasn't sure who to purchase from until Rik advised me.
Phil

Stewart Gethin
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Stewart Gethin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:22 pm

I will let you know when I get around to putting them together,

Just for anyone who is thinking of buying direct David is currently undergoing a housemove so deliveries of items are being delayed slightly, by how much I do not know.

Stewart