Viaduct - Seemed like a good idea at the time

What is your latest project?
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:01 am

Soar Valley Light:113416 wrote: I appreciate you not wanting to make another one - in sandstone, but how do you fancy a commission for one in granite?

I'll fetch my coat! :notworthy:
You can go off some people ...... :| ;)

As with a lot of projects, now I've built one I would now know what to do and what to avoid (I hope my blog postings help others learn from my mistakes and experiences). Although it took me two years overall, a lot of that was thinking time - and, of course, train playing time. But I probably took the most time-intensive approach (apart from quarrying and dressing real sandstone, I suppose). No doubt there are ways of achieving a similar (or better) effect in less time.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:01 pm

Knowing the pool of advice in your blog is available on tap is very comforting not to mention very helpful. I've already dipped into it despite the early stage of construction I'm at. I recognise that producing it must have taken a great deal of time which might otherwise have been spent building or running your railway. Many thanks for taking the time to post it all.
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:03 pm

bridge looks fantastic iv made lots of buildings using the peter joans type method and soo far they are lasting outside fine in summer and winter .some of my buildings roofs need a bit of attention this winter but the balsa technique works very well with some impressive results shown here by your excellent looking bridge

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:02 pm

jim@NAL:113426 wrote:bridge looks fantastic iv made lots of buildings using the peter joans type method and soo far they are lasting outside fine in summer and winter .some of my buildings roofs need a bit of attention this winter but the balsa technique works very well with some impressive results shown here by your excellent looking bridge
Thanks. That's very reassuring. I know some of Peter's balsa clad models are still showing good service at Llechfan so, hopefully, the viaduct will not be needing replacement for a good long while. I've also used the technique on another couple of models - one of which will be staying outside all year round - so I'm hopeful.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube