Lot's going on on the LVLR

What is your latest project?
JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Lot's going on on the LVLR

Post by JMORG » Thu May 28, 2015 2:36 pm

Just thought I'd share some pictures of finished (and to be finished) projects.

Dad is currently "adjusting" some of the scenic's on the Layout. The rockery in one corner is being extended around, with the new extended head shunt (called Brian's Siding after one of our members) being finished as well. Dad has also tidied up around Leigh Valley Station, but found a Toads nest so work has stopped for now!
Driver Len Tover eases Ernest through the cutting and into Jason Junction. His brother Ben has been found to prefer the Playmobil steam engine!

Ernest is now sporting it's "new" plates. These were inherited off of the Avonside Heisler (now sold). Coincidentally, the Heisler started off as a Battery powered model! I wonder how long this Ernest has before being converted to a steam model like it's predecessor...

The DFNGR heritage train project is still ongoing. Only the Luggage/comp carriage to go though!
Carriage 2 (IP Balcony carriage).

Carriage 11 (VoR Summer carriage). Has now had all it's transfers applied. Similar in style to the NWNGR Ashbury carriages.

Carriage 7 (IP 3 compartment) just finished today and looking the part. I plan to add the DFNGR transfers to the other carriages.

Carriage 6 (IP 2 compartment modified with half partition. New DFNGR transfers applied to one side, I have run out for now...

Carriage 3 (IP Brake comp). I plan to change the lamp tops to match the others. Also fitted with a DJB L&B lamp with lense made from a Googly eye!
I plan to add Lead to all of the carriages. Carriages 3 and 7 already have some but 6 wobbles uncontrollably so will need some soon!

LVLR carriage 5 has been repainted following a disaster with bubble wrap and Halfords paint! The lining was done by trimline.

Our elderly battery Tom Baldwin (based on Corris/Talyllyn number 4) was shunting carriage 5. Tom and Ernest were running at the Thornbury exhibition and ran faultlessly all day!

Other projects: Salem Garratt Helen is having a new boiler made, but the valve timing has been set and runs well.
A battery chassis has been made and I'm currently making a Boxcab on CAD to 3D print.
Moel Tryfan progresses slowly with more CAD drawings and parts of the frames. GS models are making the new cylinders for it as we speak!

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu May 28, 2015 4:20 pm

I didn't know toads built nests. Could you post a picture of this toad's nest?

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Thu May 28, 2015 5:03 pm

In all honestly it's simply a hole under the station full of toads! Couldn't think of anything else to say!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu May 28, 2015 6:25 pm

Keith S:111160 wrote:I didn't know toads built nests?
Yes they do, have you not seen Wind In The Willows? ;)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu May 28, 2015 7:11 pm

Isn't nature wonderful?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 28, 2015 8:32 pm

What a great looking railway. The finish on your rolling stock is really impressive and you've got a fine set of locos. Have you posted any more pictures? Would love to see more.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu May 28, 2015 8:34 pm

Ah. I knew Toads were interested in motor-cars and hot-air balloons, but I wasn't aware they liked to live near railways.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 28, 2015 8:37 pm

That's all looking very good - I particularly like the VoR open, very nice. Toad updates eagerly awaited...

Cheers,

Andrew.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Thu May 28, 2015 11:35 pm

Thank you for the very kind words Andrew and Rik! I hand paint all of my rolling stock and spray varnish over the top!
Rik I have posted pictures of other locomotives made by my father! I hope they can give you some ideas for the future...

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri May 29, 2015 7:35 am

Ah. I knew Toads were interested in motor-cars and hot-air balloons, but I wasn't aware they liked to live near railways.
Don't forget a liking for dressing up in women's clothing!

The pictures look great. The coaches look particularly good. What was the accident with the bubble wrap and Halfords paint.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Fri May 29, 2015 8:42 am

We have 2 Swift Sixteen carriages and 4 Brandbright Easy builds that we use for exhibition running. They are kept wrapped in bubble wrap inside of a huge box when not in use. Unfortunately one day we found that the paint on Observation carriage had partially melted and had bonded to the bubble wrap, leaving the bubble wrap imprinted on the sides, not nice.
We now use hand painted acrylics followed by sprain varnish. Each coat is baked in the sun (if possible). The exception are the Swift Sixteen bogie box vans that we painted using Middleton car sprays (Dad uses these for all cold painted on his engines).

Toad update: One was sneaking around outside the front of the house! :D