Station/Yard Area

What is your latest project?
SapperAnt
Fireman
Fireman

Station/Yard Area

Post by SapperAnt » Fri May 22, 2015 3:42 pm

So as the RVLR is developing, I'm starting to thinkg about buildings rather than track and plants....

My current station/yard area is modelled on Blythburgh on the Southwold (run round loop with two sidings). Now, due to mature planting, it's rather squeezed in with no place for a station building. If I were to model Blythburgh prototypically, I'd have to put the station on an extension board, sticking out into the path.

I'm unsure whether to leave the long siding in or not: at the moment it's a bit too short so I could extend it and build a goods shed which would fit, and fit a nice space in the garden and make a nice cameo.

Or..

I could lift it leaving a run round loop with head shunt which is very reminiscent of Chelfham and model Chelfham on the L&B instead.....and re-use the right hand set of points on my intermediate station on the other side of the railway so I can do a pick up goods and shunting, with a sense of "to" and "from". Or just do that anyway with a new set of points.

So yeah....In a bit of a quandry. Help me hive mind.
Click to see full size image

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Fri May 22, 2015 4:10 pm

Have you got any pictures?
Steam is highly under rated

Marquis DeCarabas
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Fri May 22, 2015 6:36 pm

Piccie might help. I like the Chelfham suggestion.
De Carabas

At the service of angelislington

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Fri May 22, 2015 7:00 pm

i like the chelfham idea as well ;)
If it can be made full scale it can be made 16mm

My line: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7200.html

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri May 22, 2015 7:27 pm

It's one of the nicest stations on any line of any gauge in my book - plus you get to model that beautiful pale brick viaduct. I shall never forget clapping eyes on that for the first time! :shock:
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 22, 2015 7:29 pm

I like the idea of to/from and shunting - but that's always been my rationale for my railways (including 00, 00n3 and 009). I prefer to have railways which have a purpose.

However, there are lots of reasons why people build railways - to run rolling stock - to showcase locos - to provide a realistic setting - to model a specific prototype - etc.

You'll no doubt get a range of views, ideas and opinions from the fraternity so maybe, before you start re-modelling - you need to decide what type of railway you want to operate. Identify what gives you a buzz and then make your decisions accordingly.

Good luck - I'll follow developments with interest.

Rik
PS - I've always liked Blythburgh as well. But Chelfham's not bad - just less potential for shunting operations.
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Fri May 22, 2015 7:45 pm

If you really wanted l&b shunting you could model pilton ;)

SapperAnt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SapperAnt » Fri May 22, 2015 9:33 pm

I like having a train gently trundling around- I find it the most relaxing thing in the world.

But I also want to build a railway, one with a purpose, which does something. Not just a "roundy roundy til we all get dizzy" Because that's not how real railways are - well, other than pleasure lines.

I love the idea of a train going "to" and "from" shunting at either station pcking up and dropping off before pootling off, maybe for a lap or too and then repeat. Setting puzzles get van B to siding Y and so forth....... Hence wanting a "main" station and a smaller "inrtermediate" to drop off/pick up at.

Whilst I like the trackplan and layout of Chelfham there won;t be a viaduct. Alas. There was a kit available of the building ages ago. I missed out on one on ebay....poot.

Click to see full size image

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Fri May 22, 2015 10:53 pm

The kit is from grs

SapperAnt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SapperAnt » Fri May 22, 2015 11:57 pm

There's a Woody Bay and a Lynton goods shed....