Quarry trucks

What is your latest project?
pskipper
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Quarry trucks

Post by pskipper » Thu May 21, 2015 8:19 pm

As the railway will have a small quarry/mine I've decided to try my hand at scratch building some simple quarry trucks. The Lincolnshire Life Museum has a nice little truck which was in use just up the road from us at the Greetwell Ironstone mines (before being sold down to Bedfordshire and used in a chalk pit). Earlier this week I went there with our 8 month old who was very helpful and slept through most of the measuring :)

The original truck, 1.35 meters long

The model so far...

Wheels were the greatest challenge as the original's wheels are under 1' in diameter. I'm currently planning on using hornby OO gauge wheels, regauged as they are the right size. My only worry is that the flange will be insufficient, if that's the case my plan is to cut a plasticard hoop and glue it to the back of the wheel to expand the flange. I'd appreciate anyones thoughts about this.

Rivets/coach bolt ends are currently being made using a punch for belt holes and popping them out of plasticard sheet, I'll cut the nuts for the other size from thicker plasticard.

So far it's gone quite well. I'm going to make a rake of 5 of these, possibly having one as a flat bed.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:40 pm

I would have thought that hornby wheels are probably pushing it. I've jist had a short running session and having problems keeping bachmann and ip wheels on the track :?
I have bought this from mr vwmonkeyblue on ebay and whilst at 20mm a tadge too large they have the style and do run well. I have no relation to the guy just pleased with the wagon for 7.50 plus post. He does sell wheels on ebay but not checked to see what style.
The body is shaping up well.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu May 21, 2015 10:03 pm

That is a nice project.

Binnie Engineering offer 15" 6 curved spoke wheels which are the ones vwmonkeyblue has supplied with bazzer42's wagon kit above.

Chris Cairns

pskipper
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pskipper » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:18 pm

The hornby wheels looked good but were too small. The binnie wheels are great looking but I've ordered some Cambrian models ones which are 15mm diameter so close to the 1' even though they don't have the curly spokes. Just waiting for them to arrive now.....

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:51 am

Slaters do 1' diameter curly spoked wheels in 16mm scale 32mm gauge.
https://slatersplastikard.com/wheels/16mmNGWheels.php

I've no direct experience of them.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

pskipper
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pskipper » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:21 pm

I mentioned those to the financial authorities as they are absolutely perfect. The reply was 'So you are just going to make the one truck then at that price....'

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:04 pm

pskipper:111358 wrote:I mentioned those to the financial authorities as they are absolutely perfect. The reply was 'So you are just going to make the one truck then at that price....'
Oh dear, I do hope I haven't sparked marital disharmony. You could always try my tactic of putting such things on you Christmas list, then asking if it's ok to have an early Christmas present. By the time Christmas comes, she might have forgotten...... ;)

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

pskipper
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pskipper » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:00 pm

No, we're good. There has always been an agreement that the garden railway is on a shoe string budget, especially with two little ones who could rampage like Godzilla if they are in the mood (also their Grandpa who believes them when they tell him that they are allowed to touch things or walk on the track).