Faller railcar

What is your latest project?
Roberts wood light railwa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Faller railcar

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:52 pm

will soon be repainting a faller railcar which is plastic. Could anyone give me advice on preparing the plastic and also making the paint stick and not scratch off to easy? im hoping to use humbrol paints for the sides and a spray black for the roof. would a lacker be of use once painted or just a simple varnish?

cheers james
If its not made to run on rails I'm not bothered

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:32 pm

Hello!

I'm no expert, and it's been maybe 15 years since I did it, but the paint job on my Railcar came out well and seems to have stood the test of time, so, as I recall...

The body was stripped down into its component parts and then sprayed with ordinary car primer - red oxide as I recall... Then I brush painted the chocolate and cream livery in enamel - the first coat looked absolutely awful, but I thinned the next two coats and it all came out nice and smoothly. I'd possibly spray paint it now, but it seemed to work. I don't think I varnished it, but I should have done - not having an airbrush I generally use Humbrol spray varnish...

Good luck with it,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:33 pm

Forgot to say, if you find a way of making paint stick to the red plastic wheels do let me know!!!

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:01 pm

These days you can get rattle cans of plastic bumper primer (shame some of them have no pigment in) but you mmay find this a better solution.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Roberts wood light railwa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:18 pm

cheers for the replies. railcar has arrived and now ive seen it ive decided to keep it in the blue but add some detail colours in places such as the vents, pin stripe down the body, whiskers, seats and dash board. the roof will also be painted and the wheels (hopefully if it will stick)pictures of progress soon

cheers james
If its not made to run on rails I'm not bothered

steampig
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steampig » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:09 pm

Andrew:109722 wrote:Forgot to say, if you find a way of making paint stick to the red plastic wheels do let me know!!!
Has anyone tried a black plastic dye?

Several years ago when I was into building up the 70's 4.5v and 12v lego classic locos, I found there was a massive oversupply of red wheels whereas the black wheels, needed for some of the models, were rare as hen's teeth and when available on BrickLink, commanded prices I was unprepared to pay. As I was not building brick-exact versions for collectors, but wanted the general impression of the model running on 4.5v, I was quite happy to fake the odd part to make things look generally right.

A lucky killing on eBay got me a black wheel-set I needed so I never took it further at the time, but perhaps this would at least tone down the red Faller wheels, more durably than an over-paint?