A first for me

What is your latest project?
pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

A first for me

Post by pandsrowe » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:37 pm

My first attempt at resin building construction, I am amazed at how long this has taken and all the pitfalls that I fell into during the build. For example I didn't know about painting the inside to stop the illumination inside showing through the resin and that modern water based paints seem to have no covering power what so ever.
However now that it is finished I am pleased with it and now have a bit of experience under my belt to help me with the next building.
As I'm sure that a lot of you know this is a Modeltown kit, the exterior stone finish is a coat of motar colour masonry paint with various shades of grey applied lightly with a sponge. The masonry paints are tester pots from a well known Diy shed and windows etc ordinary model shop acrylics.
The interior illumination is achieved with a 5cm length of led strip from Maplins
and I think it is a bit dull in the photo as I'm running it off a 9v battery, eventually when installed on my railway it will be running from a 12v rail that I will be fitting
around the village scene.
Phil

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:30 pm

very good well done

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:55 pm

It looks very good - well worth the effort involved.
Did you buy the enamel signs or make them?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:32 pm

The signs I'm afraid were purchased ready made, although I did make up the shop name. Not the easiest of tasks to get the letters perfectly in line and even if they are only a few thou out of line it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Phil

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:49 pm

Phil
You've done a cracking good job on the name and the signs are spot on too. I hadn't realised just how many signs were stuck up on shops and railway buildings between the wars until I saw some archive photos.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube