Stock storage

What is your latest project?
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Stock storage

Post by ge_rik » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:00 pm

Up to now I have been transporting my stock in and out of our leanto using some storage boxes which I made for the purpose.

Unfortunately, owing to a chronic problem with the disks in my neck, I can no longer lift and carry them and so I was a bit stuck. I then hit upon the idea of extending my main station and running a track into the garage.

After a fair bit of grunting and heaving (my neck is suffering a bit but I know it's for the long term good) I now have a new extension to the station baseboard with a couple of new carriage sidings - one of which lopes off into the garage via a plank bridge .....

....... where it splits into three .........

...... and my stock will eventually reside ready to be deployed without the need for anything to be carried.

Still got a bit of finishing off to do - the wooden rails need extending to the end of the garage but I cleared my local B&Q out of all its stripwood - and the train-flap needs a bolt -

but hopefully my neck will thank me for this innovation.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:10 pm

I wish I had that kind of space in my garage (SWMBO calls it a garage, I call it a large shed - not sure why the last owner knocked down the brick one!)

Good job, well done. I like the idea of having storage sidings so you can have different types of train already connected and ready to go depending on what you want to run and with what loco.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:59 pm

Looking good!

I just spent part of a week off erecting shelves in the low storage space under our house. The next stage is to tidy all the stuff in the huge pile of boxes onto them, then to replace the door with something secure, and then to create a short branch in there for some storage sidings similar to yours. I may well pinch your stripwood tracks idea, so thanks for the pictures!

Cheers,

Andrew.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:08 pm

Instant train is definitely the way to go. Nice job!
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:44 am

BTW
I've just posted a more detailed account of what I did on my blog - in case anyone might be interested.
http://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... arage.html

As always, I do not profess to be an expert, but my sharings are there in case anyone wants to learn from my experience and my mistakes.

I'm afraid I've inherited my dad's parsimony - so there's plenty of recycling in evidence which doesn't always lend itself to prettiness.

Rik
------------------------

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:25 pm

Sorry to hear about the neck.

I must build some storage sidings in my shed but unfortunately I'm at ground level so a little bit inconvenient.

Thanks for your blogs, I've scrounged a few ideas from you including casting in resin.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:09 pm

bazzer42:108530 wrote:Sorry to hear about the neck.

I must build some storage sidings in my shed but unfortunately I'm at ground level so a little bit inconvenient.

Thanks for your blogs, I've scrounged a few ideas from you including casting in resin.
Yeah, I'm at ground level too but still think I'll go for a couple of indoor storage sidings, still so much more convenient at the start and end of a run.... If I get round to building mine it will be accessed by a door that will foul the running line when open anyway, so it'll definitely be a beginning and end of run job...

And double yeah, it's a great blog Rik, loads of useful and inspiring stuff, thank you!

All the best,

Andrew.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:01 am

Neat solution. Of course, the logical extension of the indoor sidings is to move the entire railway inside .... :shock:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:21 am

kandnwlr:108542 wrote:Neat solution. Of course, the logical extension of the indoor sidings is to move the entire railway inside ....  :shock:
What, and miss all that glorious sunshine???

Rik
------------------------

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:33 am

ge_rik:108544 wrote:
kandnwlr:108542 wrote:Neat solution. Of course, the logical extension of the indoor sidings is to move the entire railway inside ....  :shock:
What, and miss all that glorious sunshine???

Rik
*Looks out of window into fog bank. Scratches head*

I better move back to the UK, then.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:01 pm

bazzer42:108530 wrote:Thanks for your blogs, I've scrounged a few ideas from you including casting in resin.
Andrew:108533 wrote: And double yeah, it's a great blog Rik, loads of useful and inspiring stuff, thank you!
Thanks chaps, very kind of you. My motivation in creating the blog was to try and provide the sort of info I was looking for when I first started out on this fascinating hobby. l'm always learning something new from others so this is my way of paying back. Hopefully, there will be something in the blog which might prove useful, even if it's to say, "Well I'm certainly not going to do it like that!"

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Rik, you are so right! There is no 'correct' way of doing these things, it is down to the individual to decide, invent/copy/create.
We are all watching new ideas and some we choose to follow, some we don't.
I am always willing to learn from others and that is the way we progress the hobby. All of us have particular requirements to make it easier to 'play' with our stock. If it is right for you, then it works!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?