16mm scale BR push pull set

What is your latest project?
Matt
Driver
Driver

16mm scale BR push pull set

Post by Matt » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:18 pm

Today I've started on a new project. using the money I got for Christmas, I bought a pair of Vale of Rheidol bogie coaches, one standard coach and one observation/guard coach. The idea is to do them up in early BR 'blood and custard' livery, and have them as a 16mm scale push-pull set to go with my mixed traffic lady ann.

I made a start on the observation coach today. the body is assembled and most of the pain work is done. I won't be doing much work over the next few weeks, as I'm back to university tomorrow, and the kits are staying at my parents house. hopefully, i'll get them finished over Easter, in time for the first open days of the year.

Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:28 pm

Nice work, I remember you mentioning this idea at a steamup last year. Should look excellent in that livery with 41217.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:30 pm

laalratty:108453 wrote:Nice work, I remember you mentioning this idea at a steamup last year. Should look excellent in that livery with 41217.
Thanks. this is the first time i've had a go a a large kit (everything else has been simple four wheeled stuff).

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:33 pm

Matt:108455 wrote:
laalratty:108453 wrote:Nice work, I remember you mentioning this idea at a steamup last year. Should look excellent in that livery with 41217.
Thanks.  this is the first time i've had a go a a large kit (everything else has been simple four wheeled stuff).

Well, a large coach is really just a bigger version of a small coach. I'll admit that it can appreciably increase the time, mainly thanks to extra painting (although if you spray then the difference is minimal). Are you going to model a drivers cab separated off from the main saloon in the driving trailer?
"What the hell is that?"

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:37 pm

laalratty:108456 wrote:
Matt:108455 wrote:
Thanks.  this is the first time i've had a go a a large kit (everything else has been simple four wheeled stuff).

Well, a large coach is really just a bigger version of a small coach. I'll admit that it can appreciably increase the time, mainly thanks to extra painting (although if you spray then the difference is minimal). Are you going to model a drivers cab separated off from the main saloon in the driving trailer?
I have been thinking about that. At the observation end of the coach, there's a door on the right hand side. I'm thinking of inserting an extra wall just behind it, and putting a driver figure with several controls and perhaps a whistle chain in the cab.

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:20 pm

Well, I got back home for the Easter holidays a few days ago, and re-started work on the coaches. The observation coach is now finished. I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out. the roof was a bit difficult to put on, but is okay.

I've created an extra compartment for the driver at the front of the carriage. when money allows for it, I fit the compartment out with controls and a figure.

Here's a few photos of the work done over the last couple of days.

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:14 pm

and here's a few more pictures with my BR mix-traffic lady ann.

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:28 pm

today I built the standard coach to finish the set off. managed to do all the work in 6 hours straight. I'm much happier with how this ones turned out, the roof sits better on the top, although it can probably do with another coat of paint. here's some pictures from today.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:44 pm

Looks like a nice little train, I look forward to seeing it all at some point. What did you use to glue the roof on? With IP kits in the past I've had some success with superglue, including for gluing back bits that didn't take first time round, so you may be able to improve the roofline of the first coach.
"What the hell is that?"

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:55 pm

laalratty:109256 wrote:Looks like a nice little train, I look forward to seeing it all at some point. What did you use to glue the roof on? With IP kits in the past I've had some success with superglue, including for gluing back bits that didn't take first time round, so you may be able to improve the roofline of the first coach.
For the first carriage, i used model wood glue, for the second i used proper super glue. probably explains the better result. that and i had the roof for the second coach heated on top of our raven cooker for a couple of hours, makes it easier to bend.

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:14 pm

Regarding IP's dreaded plastic roofs my method is to bend them to something close to the intended curve then stick them on with superglue and hold them in place for hours with rubber bands. After a few hours remove the bands and apply more glue on any loose spots then rubber band it again.

robc_wa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by robc_wa » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:40 am

Looks very good. Interested to see that you brush paint with Humbrol "tinlets". Better finish that I seem to get with spray! Did you prime the wood first or just use multiple coats of the final finish.

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:57 am

robc_wa:109261 wrote:Looks very good. Interested to see that you brush paint with Humbrol "tinlets". Better finish that I seem to get with spray!  Did you prime the wood first or just use multiple coats of the final finish.
Yeah, just multiple coats of the final colour.

Toby the Tram
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Toby the Tram » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:27 am

Hello Sir, lovely work, the BR colours are surprisingly fetching on NG locos, I must ask, is your railway that one with the lovely viaduct I've seen in Garden Rail?

Donald

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:08 am

no sorry, that line is down south in Cornwall, i'm up in Cumbria.