Who has an indoor test line?

What is your latest project?
steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Who has an indoor test line?

Post by steamie1 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:48 am

I had shelving in the garage and moved it all up one, putting a 32mm loop in the garage as a test track. Now the wet and winter are upon us, it is good to steam up inside. Because my free time is late in the evening, I've used it more than I thought I would. It keeps the hobby bobbing along nicely.

If I build a truck I can test the running on a tight Peco605 bend and test the back to back on a the point. Still being able to get the car in, I feel I have not lost space.

Anyone fancy doing it? Lofts, sheds, conservatories, where ever. I do think a complete loop allows free running. For mamod fettling it is ok, but best ventilate with a window or such. Any thoughts on the idea or questions?

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:04 pm

I set up test lines in the landing with a board underneath the track when needed.

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:06 pm

Ideal for space. What a good idea.

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:23 pm

far warmer than the garage too!

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:53 am

I have a load of plastic big big track that goes round the conservatory so me and son can run trains without getting wet..(well we have in the past been in the garden under a gazebo running trains..

Enginehouse
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Enginehouse » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:53 am

jay1976:105614 wrote:I have a load of plastic big big track that goes round the conservatory so me and son can run trains without getting wet..(well we have in the past been in the garden under a gazebo running trains..
We have a 14 x 12 shed with a 45mm loop around the walls at worktop height, but not as warm, comfortable and nice with as the catering tables and the various portable sections of both LGB/PIKO 45mm track and the odd box of Tenmille 32mm for the other gauge stock that spring up in the spare room from time to time. Much closer to the coffee and biscuits. Unfortunately the spare room is regularly used so train facilities in there have to be portable. I would love an additional big shed or terrapin building if I could fit it in.

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:28 am

I have a portable track which I set up in the garage sometimes and have occasionally set it up in the spare room (when its spare) and in the dining room. The tables and Mamod track were purchased for 40 quid from a very nice guy in Essex about 4 years ago I think. He built it for a local exhibition and only used it once and then it came into my hands. My lads love it. I don't have any other place to run.
http://youtu.be/R3JCF6NfeVs

Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:45 am

I have used the kitchen floor as a  base for an unofficial test track, but only when the wife is out!
Last edited by Big Jim on Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:02 pm

I must get some more pictures at some point, but here is mine...

Check out my steam and engineering youtube channel at...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8vX4P ... _PnvhldjjA

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:58 am

The K&NWLR came in from the cold and down to the cellar about 4 years ago. Haven´t regretted the decision - particularly in November :shock:

Enginehouse
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Who has an indoor test line?

Post by Enginehouse » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:43 pm

steamie1:105513 wrote:I had shelving in the garage and moved it all up one, putting a 32mm loop in the garage as a test track. Now the wet and winter are upon us, it is good to steam up inside. Because my free time is late in the evening, I've used it more than I thought I would. It keeps the hobby bobbing along nicely.

If I build a truck I can test the running on a tight Peco605 bend and test the back to back on a the point. Still being able to get the car in, I feel I have not lost space.

Anyone fancy doing it? Lofts, sheds, conservatories, where ever. I Ùdo think a complete loop allows free running. For mamod fettling it is ok, but best ventilate with a window or such. Any thoughts on the idea or questions?
The Large Scale Central forums have one which is exclusively for indoor and micro layouts, which is quite interesting and shows what can actually be done in a small (sometimes very small) space. I will readily admit that I have adopted some of the ideas and small projects off of the site.
Cheers

Roy H