Engineering Apprenticeship Project

What is your latest project?
JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Engineering Apprenticeship Project

Post by JMORG » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:53 pm

Hi all,
As I am now an Apprentice for Renishaw, I need to start thinking about a project once I have finished my milling and turning assessments (which wont take long)!
After much thought, I have decided to scratch-build a model of "Moel Tryfan". I chose this for several reasons:
1) It has a separate power-bogie, so I can easily set-out the work in several stages.
2) I have a Bernard Rockett book with drawings for this locomotive I can reference.
3) I like it!
I will be using Roundhouse style slip-eccentric (obviously, being an 0-6-4 it would need to be longer) for this locomotive along with a Roundhouse style boiler.
Any hints and tips would be really appreciated! Also, does anybody agree that Moel Tryfan would be a good choice to work with? :)
Thanks everyone :D

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Engineering Apprenticeship Project

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:32 pm

JMORG:104043 wrote:Hi all,
As I am now an Apprentice for Renishaw, I need to start thinking about a project once I have finished my milling and turning assessments (which wont take long)!
After much thought, I have decided to scratch-build a model of "Moel Tryfan". I chose this for several reasons:
1) It has a separate power-bogie, so I can easily set-out the work in several stages.
2) I have a Bernard Rockett book with drawings for this locomotive I can reference.
3) I like it!
I will be using Roundhouse style slip-eccentric (obviously, being an 0-6-4 it would need to be longer) for this locomotive along with a Roundhouse style boiler.
Any hints and tips would be really appreciated! Also, does anybody agree that Moel Tryfan would be a good choice to work with? :)
Thanks everyone :D
Congratulations on the apprenticeship!

Along with Roundhouse, both Peter Angus and Stewart Browne (Archangel) built Single Fairlies and might be willing to answer questions, as you go along.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:18 pm

Thank you very much! :)
Yes the Archangel will be very similar in design of the bogie so I might see if I can find some information on it, although I will most likely base the cylinder design on the Roundhouse cylinders as we have plenty of these (plus the rest of the engines!) :)

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:20 pm

JMORG:104049 wrote:Thank you very much! :)
Yes the Archangel will be very similar in design of the bogie so I might see if I can find some information on it, although I will most likely base the cylinder design on the Roundhouse cylinders as we have plenty of these (plus the rest of the engines!) :)
I´ve got a Peter Angus Single Fairlie if you need pics.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Pictures will be great thank you very much! Although I still got afew months yet, I'm doing the drawings in my free time :)

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:00 pm

JMORG:104051 wrote:Pictures will be great thank you very much! Although I still got afew months yet, I'm doing the drawings in my free time :)
I think you´ll find it a little different, but perhaps inspiring :shock: :D