Faller Railbus re-gauging and restoration.
Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:50 pm
Many thanks to Jack (90733 of this parish), the management of the W&L can now realise their vision of a railbus replacement for the revenue losing services.
All previously inspected vehicles had driving cabs at one end only and the required turning deemed them unsuitable.
Very quickly the "Playtrain" and "Intercity" stickers were removed (I thought they were heavy duty transfers that would need loads of work - instead they just peeled off and all I needed to do then was quickly wipe off the glue residue with a de-greaser )
The vehicle was then totally stripped to its component parts;
All there excluding the glazing (which needs no work so has been "stored" safely ready for re-assembly) and the wheelsets which are being replaced.
There is only one screw (which holds the cover on the power bogie) - the rest simply un-clips! A little care has to be taken and I used an engineers 6" metal ruler which was nice and thin enough to gently separate joints and ease them away from the locating lugs.
The end glazing (screen and quarter lights in one piece) took the longest to remove to avoid any damage, but even they were a simple "push in and down" technique in the end!
So, the body parts are ready for paint and the interior awaits seating etc. Meanwhile attention turns to the motion;
The trailing bogie is at the top with the parts of the power bogie below it.
The plan is to try and keep the railbus as original as possible (hence the "restoration" title) so I plan on attempting to re-use these as far as possible.
The axle arrangement turned out to be 2mm diameter for the trailing wheelsets and 3mm on the driver - so there's the first hurdle
here's a close-up of the motor block, along with The Screw;
The observant will have already noticed that this unit is actually a universal bit of kit - there are fittings for three wheelsets.
The horizontal motor mount makes this a definite "keeper"
As for the trailing bogie;
no, I'm not going for wooden axles The cocktail stick is keeping the wheels to gauge while I check for "wriggle room" and plot the next installment of this project