Faller Railbus re-gauging and restoration.

What is your latest project?
markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Faller Railbus re-gauging and restoration.

Post by markoteal » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:59 pm

Well - I wasn't really looking for one - but look whats cropped up at the CHLR
IMG_1337.JPG
IMG_1337.JPG (976.92 KiB) Viewed 3446 times
IMG_1338.JPG
IMG_1338.JPG (754.32 KiB) Viewed 3446 times
A quick find on flea bay

Video to follow of it on test on the line - the railcar is now in the works being dismantled - I won't post a piece by piece restoration as its been covered here in great detail but I'll try and post odd pictures of interesting moments
Where did I put that uncoupler?

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:14 am

I've got a three car set. They are mounted on ex-Lima diesel loco bogies, with one car powered. All three carry 3 x AA batteries to get the required voltage, with jumper cables between each car. Radio control came from a £12 r/c car bought in Lidl.
Attachments
DSC00749.JPG
DSC00749.JPG (772.79 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:49 pm

Wow great examples and inspiration - was thinking CHLR green and cream - at the mo, will go for a repaint and then get back into service - then over time move to new bogies and RC

I was pleased how easy it comes apart - its solidly built but a great opportunity to personalise - taking the front windows out is the most heart stopping mo - but we managed it

Heres the video I promised of the test run pre works

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2t1EOB5jgo[/video]

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Ok - CHLR works has output their latest restoration - the Faller Playtrain Railcar - name tbc

Management decided on a fairly plain and simple 'brand' green ( inline with other battery locos operating on the line) with gold whiskers.

Internally seating has gone to the same colour - with cream being used on the lower half of the interior to add a little light

The driving consoles have been painted and the unit is now driven by Bill and Ben, the Railcar men - both of who had to have their lower legs removed to fit in

Destinations boards have been added - the original lights have been re-installed but are probably the first thing I will look to upgrade.

Currently using the original control method (now painted black) but will probably goto RC when I can save up for a receiver to go in her (unless i try the cheapo LED light control method I've seen elsewhere

The only casualty of the restoration (apart from the Drivers legs :roll: ) was one of the windows - because I'd added a couple of layers of cream paint, the allowance to get the windows back in was reduced - I managed all but one ...sadly that snapped under my fingers accompanied by great amounts of swear*!*!*!ing - so a piece of clear perspex was acquired an fitted in its place

Overall pleased with it - a nice little project for in-experienced modellers like me! £16 plus paint & a couple of hours in total - spread over a few evenings

We will test her over the coming days with the aim of introducing onto morning and late evening timetabled services
IMG_1406.JPG
IMG_1406.JPG (721.67 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
IMG_1405.JPG
IMG_1405.JPG (850.43 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
IMG_1407.JPG
IMG_1407.JPG (728.74 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
IMG_1404.JPG
IMG_1404.JPG (734.5 KiB) Viewed 3305 times

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:50 pm

that's very nice good colour too