Faller Railbus re-gauging and restoration.

What is your latest project?
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu May 30, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi Greg,

I thought I had a battery Playtrain rail car (found the 12V track powered one) but a box of Faller bits & pieces eludes me at present (I'm sure I also have the DB red unpowered rail car trailer).

On the bottom of your engine unit there is an orange/red pin that protrudes down. This is used to stop and change direction of the rail car using track mounted switches.

This is the change-O-matic track (from a Hit Train set).

With the red lever vertical the rail car will stop on top of the yellow channel. Rotate the red lever to either side and that will set the direction, thus if the rail car comes from the other direction it will be reversed.

The orange switch above controls direction (rail car will run to the right). So if a rail car comes from the right it will have it's direction reversed, but if it comes from the left it will continue straight ahead to the right. The yellow/red switch above is a stop switch. Rail car will be stopped if it approaches from the left (I think it continues over this switch if it comes from the right). Once stopped you hold the red lever to the left and the rail car will reverse back to the left.

So effectively what Andrew has made is a direction switch, but as he says you need to get the diagonal part orientated correctly and decide which is the front of the rail car - powered bogie or un-powered bogie  (no confusion with the Playtrain/Hit Train locomotives which is front).
DolwyddelanLightRail wrote:Are the dials on the cab desk painted on or a print out and stick on?
James, Greg has very cleverly highlighted the moulded parts on the cab console by painting them exceedingly well.

Chris Cairns.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri May 31, 2013 8:56 am

That's a great set of photo's and descriptions of the track system, thanks Chris :D
I should definitely be able to rig up automation for the "Inter Village 12.5" now! ;)

I suppose fitting some original track parts would be pretty straightforward if any turn up, failing that Andrews "bent wire" (or maybe a bit of rail?) will do the job!

At the moment I don't have any passenger seating. Jack (90733, who kindly supplied the railbus) says he's found three, so I'll still be one short.
Does anyone have a spare passenger seat please?
Failing that, could anyone take a photo of one that I could use to make a start on scratchbuilding from?

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri May 31, 2013 9:15 am

DolwyddelanLightRail:84033 wrote:...it's probably a very good idea I don't do anything battery wise in 16mm!
Just out of interest James - why not?

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

what seating u after

Post by jim@NAL » Fri May 31, 2013 8:34 pm

I have a set of seats out of an LGB carriage. would that be any help

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Re: what seating u after

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri May 31, 2013 8:38 pm

jim@NAL:84116 wrote:I have a set of seats out of an LGB carriage. would that be any help
Not sure at the moment - I can see where and how the seats fit, but I've no idea yet what size or shape the originals were :roll:
I'll certainly come back to you once I get some more info Ta :thumbleft:

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Fri May 31, 2013 8:53 pm

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Fri May 31, 2013 9:00 pm

Narrow Minded:84084 wrote:
DolwyddelanLightRail:84033 wrote:...it's probably a very good idea I don't do anything battery wise in 16mm!
Just out of interest James - why not?
I have never really taken an interest into the world of Battery Stock in 16mm at all, I'm happy enough running and tinkering with live steam (which shows with Pheonix in nearly as many bits as it can go into on my desk at the moment!)

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri May 31, 2013 10:27 pm

I reckon you should move with the times James - these "infernal combustion" loco's are the future don't you know :lol:

In all seriousness though, it does come in handy to have something that you just put on the track, switch it on and it goes ;)
You end up having a quick running session even when you don't have the time to prep and raise steam!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri May 31, 2013 10:44 pm

Sorry Greg, I had not realised you had no passenger seats or I would have taken a few better photos sooner.

Here is a passenger seat.

A simple back to back seat with 2 locating pins on the bottom. Playtrain produced their own figures which were designed to be pushed onto the pin just in front of the seat back. Playmobil figures are the same size but do not fit on those pins.

Off early in the morning for steam on the West Highland extension with SRPS railtours, and got a few busy days ahead so if you need any more info there will be a slow response.

Chris Cairns.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:36 am

Thanks Chris!
Now that's not what I expected them to look like ;)
I'm very tempted to go for "side saddle" style bench seats - this would increase passenger capacity and maintain the gangway (and in modelling terms would be an easy job 8) )

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:49 pm

Here's the "temporary" passenger seats I knocked-up from balsa sheet. They turned out so well that I decided to save time and effort by keeping them! ;)

The story so far - the crests are on and the body was varnished before re-inserting the windows and floor;

Two passengers have been recruited to become drivers - the one on the left has just had a head transplant! :lol:

The drivers are being kitted out with new uniforms and the chassis is being re-assembled down in Pentrich Siding :D

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:59 pm

Looking good I like the seating and passengers, the colour is nice too.
Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:32 pm

fantastic

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:57 pm

Coming along really well Greg.

I can see why the original had back to back seating - no room for legs and knees otherwise. Reminds me of sitting in the back of a Bell 212 (twin Huey) helicopter where the Westerners had to squeeze in with interlocking knees and legs.

Chris Cairns.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:20 pm

Chris Cairns:84292 wrote:I can see why the original had back to back seating - no room for legs and knees
;) I've tried to minimize the effect by using "G scale" figures - the railbus interior is its own little 'scale bubble' so it won't be noticeable with the rest of the Erewash Valley population 8)
Actually, it's not so bas if the occupants sit properly (there's a bit of typical alpha male activity going on with the two guys claiming their territory by crossing their legs!! ;)

Anyhow, tonights previously threatened 19:08 Sunday service from Loscoe calling at all stations to Westwood was run by ~

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Looking great, like the colour scheme. I may be inspired to run an evening railcar service myself when I get home...

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:02 pm

Sorry to regurgitate this article (blame Andrew), but in the absence of Busted Bricks, what would you good chaps recommend for metal wheels?
Chris Auckland

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:21 pm

SpudUk:98684 wrote:Sorry to regurgitate this article (blame Andrew), but in the absence of Busted Bricks, what would you good chaps recommend for metal wheels?
Why, Houstoun Gate Locomotive Works, of course - they've taken on the Busted Bricks range!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:23 pm

MDLR:98687 wrote:
SpudUk:98684 wrote:Sorry to regurgitate this article (blame Andrew), but in the absence of Busted Bricks, what would you good chaps recommend for metal wheels?
Why, Houstoun Gate Locomotive Works, of course - they've taken on the Busted Bricks range!
I did think that but couldn't find their wheels on the website
Chris Auckland

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:43 pm

A phone call may work wonders!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html