The RHBR fleet

What is your latest project?
williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:47 pm

Gremlin:92919 wrote:You've made a really good job of Millie with all the details. I think safety chains would look good and not too much.
Have you considered a full cab at some point, it almost gives you a new loco as it changes it so much.

Which coach kits did you prefer building, IP or Brandbright
Thanks, I have thought about safety chains as my coaches are all fitted with them, and I hope to fit them to my wagons in time but I'm not keen on drilling into the bufferbeams as the only drills I've got are pin vices but it can be done. At the moment a full cab isn't an option as I like been able to easily see the water & pressure gauges although I have thought about scratchbuilding an IMR style cab for Minnie at some point.
Funnily despite not finishing any of them I would say I prefer the Brandbright kits to build as they are sturdier and more precise. I lost all momentum with the Brandbrights, I don't suppose it helps that they're part finished in purple lake & cream so I can't really repaint them to fit in with the fleet now but then again it was always my plan to have a rake of red and cream and one of purple and cream. I don't think either the 3 comp or the directors saloon are that far off being finished really, I decided some time ago not to use the transfers, most if not all the wood is stained, and the interiors are mostly done, but the directors saloon needs an overlay cleaned before painting. In quite a few respects their easier to build than the IP kits, the instructions are great, they use slot and tab construction and the livery I chose doesn't require much masking, I've just realised I'm making it hard for myself not to finish at least one of them! :lol:

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:35 pm

That's 2013 done and dusted for the RHBR fleet, Minnie has worked hard, River Ankh has done nothing at all, No.17 made it's début and has impressed on occasion, and Offler will never be the same again.
The last running day of the year saw Minnie with the extended passenger rake, although N.47 had to be withdrawn after a derailment might have sorta kinda left it with a loose end, I say loose end, it's only held on by the glue on the roof! :banghead:

My efforts to decorate Minnie for Christmas do leave something to be desired, like even writing!
Even Albert got into the festive spirit, although he still didn't look too happy, must be the open cab and cold weather.
Things might have got silly again later in the day, too much festive cheer perhaps.
The heavy load and greasy rails lead to an inevitable outcome

:hello2:

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:40 pm

Silly? That's not silly, that's a decent length train!
Like the drivers Santa Hat
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:58 pm

If I'd removed the wood (and gas bottle) from the wagons then Minnie might not have spun so much, although a banking or piloting loco would have been very useful, a job for my new diesel when built.
The hat was the one suitable decoration I could find in York, luckily it was on a chocolate Santa so it was worth looking for! :lol:

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:00 am

that's always a good excuse for gaining accessories.
"Oh look just what I need, just happens to be in a pack of 12 chocolate santas, what will I have to do with all the chocolate"

the hat's a perfect fit

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Tue May 13, 2014 12:59 am

The Harrogate show provided the motivation I needed to get some work done on my fleet, most of the open wagons needed something doing to them, one poor example needed 2 sides refitting and others needed paintwork patching up or small details refitted. Minnie has finally had a new blowdown valve fitted during the show, I fitted the new one with enough time to raise steam for my last running session, however I hadn't tightened a nut thoroughly which only became apparent when she was in steam and leaking profusely, I did manage to run, but about 5 minutes later than I should, there are a couple of lessons in there somewhere! I'll be adding Locoworks step overlays and crossheads soon, it's always struck me as odd that she's got slidebars but no crossheads, just like the last time these will be the last cosmetic modifications I make to Minnie! ;)
Yesterday I made 5 more of my destination boards, using 3 pieces of overlay scrap each, a section is cut out of the middle one and a notch is cut & filed into one of the outer pieces to get a snug fit onto the smokebox lamp bracket. Once the paint is hardened I'll make a start on lettering as it's likely to be something I need to amend and I don't want to start again, especially as some have gone on better than others.

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Tue May 13, 2014 7:36 pm

Tis was a pleasure to meet you William at harrogate and I noticed that Minnie had gained another nice brass valve under the cab whilst it was running! :D
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Tue May 13, 2014 10:29 pm

It was good to meet you too Sam, and she's gained yet more brass & some steel today. I dare say it wasn't too hard to spot that something had changed with the old girl as she was leaking like a sieve and shrouded in steam at one point!
The valve wheel does clear the steps, just
Image :lol:

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Wed May 14, 2014 8:29 pm

Looks like an interesting (and different) addition. Note that the "leaking like a sieve and shrouded in steam" could be used to get some rather lovely photos ;)
"What the hell is that?"

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Thu May 15, 2014 7:28 am

They could do, although it didn't at the exhibition hall! :lol:

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon May 26, 2014 7:27 pm

The latest running day on May 25th could have gone better, 4 wagons have been rendered unfit for service at the moment all due to heavy rain. Three have suffered parts coming adrift due to the glue I've used not being as waterproof as I'd hoped and the 4th has warped. The warped wagon has been plonked under a heavy weight since yesterday afternoon and at some point I will remove it to see if it's straightened out, if not then I'll think of something.

Just as I had to do last year, I hid Minnie from the rain never thinking about the welfare of my rolling stock! :banghead:

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon May 26, 2014 8:49 pm

I expect that Minnie is more waterproof then the rolling stock, after all it has water inside of it! The only thing to be wary of is if its parked somewhere that could suffer from rain splashing material up (ie near mud or soil) which could then get in the motion. My Millie also got a soaking on Saturday, but it was left out as it was a manual loco and space indoors was kept for radio controlled engines.
"What the hell is that?"

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon May 26, 2014 10:58 pm

My concern wasn't so much when in steam but if left out with the fire out for a while it could flood the burner. I'm going to look at her motion before she's next out as I suspect the RH con rod would benefit from a slight bend in it so that the little end is parallel to the crosshead.

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:50 pm

It seems I was right about Minnie's RH conrod, putting a slight bend in feels like it's made a difference. However in a '1 in 1 out' problem management scheme her regulator is leaking, although that  appears to be a simple matter of some ptfe tape sorting that one out.
In waggony news poor old No.58 looks like has it's been through the wars.
This was the first time it was out in the sun, all I've done so far is applied a watered down brown games workshop paint then wiped it off in downward motions to keep it in the nooks & crannies and also get some streaks. I think the running gear will benefit from being done again, using a darker brown this time

The interior paint has been sanded randomly to keep most of the paint while gaining the impression of hard use, I've also filed the top edges to create an impression that they've been worn away which revealed the original paint in places.The L sections will eventually be improved with the addition of fake bolts so it looks like a cheaply done repair to keep the dear in service, which is absolutely NOT what this is!  :lol:

I'm now thinking of doing this to more wagons, the problem is if I do it needs to be enmasse, unfortunately I've fitted L sections to 2 others, although they could be explained away as being ex-works. Another solution I suppose is to build more open wagons!

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:17 am

More pics of Minnie in steam please :D

'Pierre Berry
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by 'Pierre Berry » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:29 pm

kandnwlr:102269 wrote:More pics of Minnie in steam please  :D
Absolutely !

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:58 pm

Thanks for the interest guys, photos of Minnie in steam eh? Pffffffffffffff, :dontknow: There aren't many that haven't been uploaded before to be honest, the first photo comes from June last year! I don't tend to have my camera fired up when she is. I will try to amend that during her next outing on Saturday.

And only 1 suitable photo from this year, taken in March! :roll:

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:18 pm

As promised here are more photos of Minnie in steam, not just brewing up/ cooling down.

Three panned shots, amazing what some practice can do!
Panning No.1 by williamfj2, on Flickr

Panning No.2 by williamfj2, on Flickr

My favourite of the three pans, light, motion and steam! That said I'm not too happy with how the coaches look.
Panning No.3 by williamfj2, on Flickr

One that I've already shown, but I like it. :P
Minnie by williamfj2, on Flickr

At the end of a day where she didn't put a toe never mind a foot out of line. Must patch the paint on that numberplate though
End of Another Good Day by williamfj2, on Flickr

btiratsoo
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by btiratsoo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:39 pm

I've just read this thread from start to finish. Your rolling stock and locos are splendid and your writing/ descriptions make me chuckle.

The second panning shot above and the last two shots are brilliant. The panning is an absolute cracker and the one with the sunlight on the leaves is beautiful. Well done fella.

Ben

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:44 pm

Wow, thanks Ben, must have been quite a slog reading my ramblings at times!
For the past couple of weeks things have been in a state of disarray for me & the fleet as I've moved to a different flat, but I'm getting a grasp of things now. Some stuff hasn't made the move though, the Brandbright coaches have been passed to a friend who might stand a better chance at completing them. I've found that once I let a project stall it's hard to get it restarted.

River Ankh earlier this month, despite being stored for about 18 months with little attention it only took a quick oil round to get her growling again.