The RHBR fleet

What is your latest project?
williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:45 pm

williamfj:87259 wrote:Offler is alive once again, hopefully it'll be the last time I have to rip the croc god apart to get the him running for some time! 
Ummmmm, nope!
I think I have thoroughly knackered the croc god, during the running session after a working Wednesday he was running well but cut out abruptly, after a while he would run again before cutting out again, it wasn't the batteries and the connections are fine strip. I might strip the R/C gear and make him a simple on/off forward/reverse loco, although I've now got my heart set on purchasing a Essel chassis and scratchbuilding a larger body with the same features.
Luckily on Wednesday I also brought the revived shed a.k.a No.17 which last ran in February with some new batteries and a dose of oil it plodded along merrily with an extended rake of skips or a pair of opens.
Enough off my guff, how bout some snaps?
Débutante No.1, my 4th MOD open that's all there is to be said about this one really. :lol:
Débutante No.2, the free IPE 2 comp that has been the cause of a few late nights in the run up to Wednesday!
Débutante No.3, a Binnie skip with metal wheels I'm using a different assortment of paints since building the last skip so for now 58 is the odd one out.
Surprisingly the shed could pull this lot, although I thought it best not to do so for long.
Roughly a year separates these two kits, I think I've done a better job on N.47 than her elder twin
To round it up a nice sunny shot

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:37 pm

Your lettering on your rolling stock is superb William. :D
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks Sam, it's all brushed on and undiluted, it helps that the numbers I chose for the coach only had straight sides though! The numbering on the skips isn't as good because frankly I don't put as much effort into them, but they're supposed to look rough and ready.

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:03 pm

Yes the skips look very rustic you should be very proud of your modelling skills William. 8)

Sam Wake

TTHLRMatt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TTHLRMatt » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:38 pm

How does the white edging to your wheels last, I have it on my fowler but would only add it to my stock if it were to last and not come off in short order.

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:39 pm

Thanks Sam, I'll have trouble getting my head through doors for a while now! :lol:

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:20 pm

TTHLRMatt:92613 wrote:How does the white edging to your wheels last, I have it on my fowler but would only add it to my stock if it were to last and not come off in short order.
Hello Matt, I'm really sorry it's taken me so long to reply to you, I didn't notice that you posted while I was writing my reply to Sam! :oops:  
The white tyre walls seem to last relatively well, but most of them get repainted every now and again so I can't authoritatively state just how well.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:15 am

Looking impressive there, especially the IPE kit! May I ask how difficult it was to build and whether you experienced any 'wood warp'?

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:12 am

dougrail:92907 wrote:Looking impressive there, especially the IPE kit! May I ask how difficult it was to build and whether you experienced any 'wood warp'?
Which one? ;)

The only kits I've found warping to be a problem are the coaches and the only parts that have warped are the side overlays. Although the overlays are that thin that when you glue them on they will stay straight as long as you secure them properly.

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:26 pm

You've made a really good job of Millie with all the details. I think safety chains would look good and not too much.
Have you considered a full cab at some point, it almost gives you a new loco as it changes it so much.

Which coach kits did you prefer building, IP or Brandbright

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:47 pm

Gremlin:92919 wrote:You've made a really good job of Millie with all the details. I think safety chains would look good and not too much.
Have you considered a full cab at some point, it almost gives you a new loco as it changes it so much.

Which coach kits did you prefer building, IP or Brandbright
Thanks, I have thought about safety chains as my coaches are all fitted with them, and I hope to fit them to my wagons in time but I'm not keen on drilling into the bufferbeams as the only drills I've got are pin vices but it can be done. At the moment a full cab isn't an option as I like been able to easily see the water & pressure gauges although I have thought about scratchbuilding an IMR style cab for Minnie at some point.
Funnily despite not finishing any of them I would say I prefer the Brandbright kits to build as they are sturdier and more precise. I lost all momentum with the Brandbrights, I don't suppose it helps that they're part finished in purple lake & cream so I can't really repaint them to fit in with the fleet now but then again it was always my plan to have a rake of red and cream and one of purple and cream. I don't think either the 3 comp or the directors saloon are that far off being finished really, I decided some time ago not to use the transfers, most if not all the wood is stained, and the interiors are mostly done, but the directors saloon needs an overlay cleaned before painting. In quite a few respects their easier to build than the IP kits, the instructions are great, they use slot and tab construction and the livery I chose doesn't require much masking, I've just realised I'm making it hard for myself not to finish at least one of them! :lol:

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:35 pm

That's 2013 done and dusted for the RHBR fleet, Minnie has worked hard, River Ankh has done nothing at all, No.17 made it's début and has impressed on occasion, and Offler will never be the same again.
The last running day of the year saw Minnie with the extended passenger rake, although N.47 had to be withdrawn after a derailment might have sorta kinda left it with a loose end, I say loose end, it's only held on by the glue on the roof! :banghead:

My efforts to decorate Minnie for Christmas do leave something to be desired, like even writing!
Even Albert got into the festive spirit, although he still didn't look too happy, must be the open cab and cold weather.
Things might have got silly again later in the day, too much festive cheer perhaps.
The heavy load and greasy rails lead to an inevitable outcome

:hello2:

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:40 pm

Silly? That's not silly, that's a decent length train!
Like the drivers Santa Hat
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:58 pm

If I'd removed the wood (and gas bottle) from the wagons then Minnie might not have spun so much, although a banking or piloting loco would have been very useful, a job for my new diesel when built.
The hat was the one suitable decoration I could find in York, luckily it was on a chocolate Santa so it was worth looking for! :lol:

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:00 am

that's always a good excuse for gaining accessories.
"Oh look just what I need, just happens to be in a pack of 12 chocolate santas, what will I have to do with all the chocolate"

the hat's a perfect fit

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Tue May 13, 2014 12:59 am

The Harrogate show provided the motivation I needed to get some work done on my fleet, most of the open wagons needed something doing to them, one poor example needed 2 sides refitting and others needed paintwork patching up or small details refitted. Minnie has finally had a new blowdown valve fitted during the show, I fitted the new one with enough time to raise steam for my last running session, however I hadn't tightened a nut thoroughly which only became apparent when she was in steam and leaking profusely, I did manage to run, but about 5 minutes later than I should, there are a couple of lessons in there somewhere! I'll be adding Locoworks step overlays and crossheads soon, it's always struck me as odd that she's got slidebars but no crossheads, just like the last time these will be the last cosmetic modifications I make to Minnie! ;)
Yesterday I made 5 more of my destination boards, using 3 pieces of overlay scrap each, a section is cut out of the middle one and a notch is cut & filed into one of the outer pieces to get a snug fit onto the smokebox lamp bracket. Once the paint is hardened I'll make a start on lettering as it's likely to be something I need to amend and I don't want to start again, especially as some have gone on better than others.

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Tue May 13, 2014 7:36 pm

Tis was a pleasure to meet you William at harrogate and I noticed that Minnie had gained another nice brass valve under the cab whilst it was running! :D

Sam Wake

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Tue May 13, 2014 10:29 pm

It was good to meet you too Sam, and she's gained yet more brass & some steel today. I dare say it wasn't too hard to spot that something had changed with the old girl as she was leaking like a sieve and shrouded in steam at one point!
The valve wheel does clear the steps, just
Image :lol:

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Wed May 14, 2014 8:29 pm

Looks like an interesting (and different) addition. Note that the "leaking like a sieve and shrouded in steam" could be used to get some rather lovely photos ;)
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Thu May 15, 2014 7:28 am

They could do, although it didn't at the exhibition hall! :lol: