Developing South Yard at Rylston

What is your latest project?
RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Developing South Yard at Rylston

Post by RylstonLight » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:41 pm

Developing South Yard at Rylston Running Shed

As previously alluded to, development of the garden is beyond my current health resource. This hasn't stopped me planning, and progressing some lighter jobs. In fact Rylston Light Railway (tag-line: The Line that Forgot to Be Built) is in danger of being history most over-planned and over-thought garden railway. HS2 has had a shorter planning programme to date.

There are a number of pinch-points in the design, and to gain confidence, I have mocked up 1:1 (or is it 1:19) layouts on very temporary foamboard to make sure it looks "right". Some buildings already in existence allow certain areas to look promisingly realistic. One such area is the South Yard at Rylston Running Sheds so one Friday I set up two sheets of foamboard to check clearances.

I wanted the feel of a cramped enclosed yard (think pre-1960s Boston Lodge), but it couldn't be so cramped that 1:1 scale fingers couldn't service the 1:19 locos. The running shed is designed to jut out from the mainline route so that the Dales' giant-folk can service the a loco on either side of the peninsular. South Yard is one of those two points.

Space compromise meant that the distance from the running line was limited. A highish wall helped give the yard a constrained feeling but I wanted to develop the limited space along the wall with highish structures to emphasize a claustrophobic feel. Oil storage tanks and a lamp hut (Pendle Valley) are aimed to achieve this. Temporary dressings such as wheel barrow and a Kelbus sand-drier help give depth effects.

This is an example of the effect sought.

ImageSouth Yard, Rylston by Andrew S, on Flickr

The locomotive is carefully positioned and hides the current lack of a coal-stage. I decided that whilst the foamboard is setup I could quickly build (!) a coaling stage to fit in the corner. I wanted a wooden bucolic affair. I needed real-world images to guide me on the cross-bracing of the staging. Most Google Image hits were of models, but amongst the others was this wonderful affair.

<r><URL url="https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lm ... s>[url]</s> https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrred418.htm<e>[/url]</e></URL></r>
011D3C5A-8296-4D50-9167-37F0B727E866.jpeg
011D3C5A-8296-4D50-9167-37F0B727E866.jpeg (78.6 KiB) Viewed 4211 times
I wondered if it would look right in a narrow-gauge setting. If built in stages (pun noted), it wouldn't require much extra work to trial the wriggly-tin affair but still have a simple stage to fall back on. The decision seemed to already be made after two loaded waggons appeared in the yard.

ImageSouth Yard, Rylston by Andrew S, on Flickr

To be continued if nothing doth occur to prevent . . .

Andy S.
Andy S. at the Rylston Light Railway

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Developing South Yard at Rylston

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:00 pm

Wow! What a wonderful and intriguing set of developments. Can't wait for the next installment!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:14 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:00 pm Wow! What a wonderful and intriguing set of developments. Can't wait for the next installment!
Absolutely agree!
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:55 pm

You have the makings of a wonderfully 'cluttered' scene there Andy, and the photographs are most convincing - I thought I was looking at the real thing in several. Hopefully nothing will prevent further progress. Get well, or keep well, whichever is more appropriate.

Just edited to add - I've just followed your link to the coaling stage, which after a bit of editing showed me the photo was taken at Redditch, which I'm sure is Worcestershire :lol:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:17 pm

I must say, this is absolutely brilliant.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:55 pm

PART TWO

The strip-wood (seen as loads on the waggons in the previous post) was cut down from B&Q oak strip.
These strips were then aged using vinegar-steel wool goop as per Jez kirkwood's post:

https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f ... od#p127579

ImageWeathering wood by Andrew S, on Flickr

After the strips were engoopenated the first module to be constructed was the stage. This could be used as a simplified entity if the site is overpowered by the shelter built upon it.

The strip-wood was used to construct a support and then styrene cosmetic bolt-ends were fixed to it. The platform was constructed by parallel strips at right-angles to the stage-edge. This expanse seemed a little bare. I suspect that the real thing would hold the sleepers in place by their own mass, but the structure would look better with a row of bolt heads holding them in place. This bolt heads would be a hindrance to good shovel-work, so they had to be buried.

ImageDrilling deck by Andrew S, on Flickr

This effect was achieved by drilling a deep small diameter hole the right size to take the spindle of the cosmetic styrene bolt-head. A 3mm drill was used to open up the pilot-hole to like a countersunk effect. This 3mm diameter counter-sink was then used to locate a Dremel-type endmill to form a square-bottomed hole roughly 2mm deep.

The cosmetic styrene bolt-heads were then glued into the pilot holes still patent in the bottom of the square-bottomed hole.

ImageDeck before weathering by Andrew S, on Flickr

Next module was the shelter. I cannot decide if the prototype is constructed from wriggly-tin or vertical wooden planking. I decided wriggly-tin was more in keeping with a light railway air.

The frame was constructed by jointed strip-wood that had been through the engooponation process.

ImageJoints by Andrew S, on Flickr

I have a mould for some wriggly-tin panels. The panels for the roof were was by pouring a thin layer of mixed resin into the centre of the mould and teasing it out to the edges. The important thing is to stop the process whilst the edges are not fully formed as the defects can look like irregular rusting edges.

ImageImperfect casts by Andrew S, on Flickr

The effect is better seen after priming in Halford red primer.

ImagePrimer by Andrew S, on Flickr

Whilst the primed panels are drying the roof supports were assembled and glued. Cosmetic styrene bolt-heads were again used.

ImageShelter in primer by Andrew S, on Flickr

ImageShelter support by Andrew S, on Flickr

Mixes of orange, yellow and brown acrylics were brushed onto the primed roof castings to accentuate the rusting effect, but most of it will be soon covered by cream top-coat. Bright orange and yellow was judiciously applied to the rust cut-out edges.

ImageRoof before salt n mask weathering by Andrew S, on Flickr

The rusty-effect panels were then partially covered by goops of liquid masking agent. When this was dry a coat of hairspray followed by salt sprinkles was used to mask a paint-chip effect. The whole was then over-sprayed with cream paint. The liquid mask was then picked off as were the salt sprinkles. Then the panels were brushed in water to dissolve the remaining salt. Grey washes are then used to dull down the gaudy colours.

ImageRoof after salt n mask weathering by Andrew Sykes, on Flickr

The shelter frames still need to have then iron work fashioned. Sadly I dropped my drill on a concrete floor at the start of the job and it is now a paper-weight. I can't go out to replace it as I'm in quarantine prior to surgery on Tuesday.

So the story will be continued should nothing doth occur to prevent . . .

Andy S.
Andy S. at the Rylston Light Railway

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:47 pm

That rusty corrugated roof is just the best ever, what a wonderful effect you have achieved, brilliant!
All best wishes for your surgery.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:30 pm

Some absolutely first class work there Andrew. The rusty wriggly tin edges are particularly effective. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished coal staithe. Keep up the good work, and best wishes for your upcoming procedure.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:22 am

Bloomin' 'eck - that's brilliant!!!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:43 am

As everyone else has aleady said, that is an absolutely amazing effect.

I also LUUUURVE you new word, " engoopenation "! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope your surgery goes well.
Philip

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:20 am

Superb work on the structure both the timber framing and the wiggly tin (a much nicer name for it)

Don

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:57 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:47 pm That rusty corrugated roof is just the best ever, what a wonderful effect you have achieved, brilliant!
All best wishes for your surgery.
Wot he said, on both counts!