Lyn >> Schull & Skibbereen Erin(ish)

What is your latest project?
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lyn >> Schull & Skibbereen Erin(ish)

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:17 am

I too love the Swilly 4-8-0 but I think I would struggle to justify its existence on the PLR ...... Unless of course, the copper mine doubles its output ..... :lol:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:51 pm

About half way through printing out the parts ..... all OK except my heated bed has suddenly decided to develop a cold spot in the centre - so now having to position everything near the edges :?
IMG_1556.JPG
IMG_1556.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 5156 times

Rik
------------------------

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:55 pm

That looks exactly like a picture I just saw on FB. Great job, can't wait to see it done. :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:22 pm

Taken a while, because I've been tweaking the design to fit the motor block. At first, the body was sitting too high up so I had to do some internal hacking to get it to sit lower.

I'll now have to go back and redraw some of the sections of the body, but I am happier with the way she looks. I also want to infill under the smokebox - it's looking a bit gappy there.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:31 pm

That is looking fantastic, Rik.
Philip

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:29 pm

philipy wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:31 pm That is looking fantastic, Rik.
I couldn't agree more, it's an absolute beauty. That has to be 'Pride of the line' Rik.

SVLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

thornmini
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by thornmini » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:39 pm

WOW! A real beauty Rik. I've told you 3D printing guys you do amazing stuff. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Waldeker EisenBahn

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:46 pm

That's really lovely Rik - I particularly like the elegant arch of the cab doorway...

Re your "gappy" area under the smokebox, I wonder whether some tweaking below the running plate would help - I'm thinking maybe some beefier cylinder covers to go over the originals?

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:15 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:51 pm About half way through printing out the parts ..... all OK except my heated bed has suddenly decided to develop a cold spot in the centre - so now having to position everything near the edges :?

Rik
Just put some Pritt Stick in the middle where the cold spot is, might take 2 layers to work well, but it WILL stick :thumbup:

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:17 pm

Looks absolutely amazing Rik, great job.

How much of the drive and bogies is 3D printed and if it's a bought block, what motor drive is it?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:22 pm

-steves- wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:17 pm Looks absolutely amazing Rik, great job.

How much of the drive and bogies is 3D printed and if it's a bought block, what motor drive is it?
Hi Steve
The block is from my Bachmann Lyn as is the bogie - I did a cut and shut job on the Lyn's two wheel bogies to make the four wheeler. The sides are 3D printed though.

The clamshell for the Lyn motor block is very poor quality plastic. Most of the destination mounts for the self tapping screws have split, so it's held together very tentatively - ie the screws are just about biting but can't be tightened completely. Once I've got the body sorted, I might draw and print out the two halves of the clamshell - I'm sure I'm not the only one suffering from clamshell disintegration!

Rik
------------------------

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:56 am

ge_rik wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:22 pm The clamshell for the Lyn motor block is very poor quality plastic. Most of the destination mounts for the self tapping screws have split, so it's held together very tentatively - ie the screws are just about biting but can't be tightened completely. Once I've got the body sorted, I might draw and print out the two halves of the clamshell - I'm sure I'm not the only one suffering from clamshell disintegration!

Rik
Rik, I bought an early Lyn (second-hand) and yes the clamshell was in very poor condition. After some repairs to ensure it held together, I "move" mine on, but in a lot better condition than I bought it.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:40 am

Jimmyb wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:56 am Rik, I bought an early Lyn (second-hand) and yes the clamshell was in very poor condition. After some repairs to ensure it held together, I "move" mine on, but in a lot better condition than I bought it.
Quick search online suggests
Clamshell.jpg
Clamshell.jpg (33.08 KiB) Viewed 4819 times

Rik
------------------------

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:14 am

ge_rik wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:22 pm The clamshell for the Lyn motor block is very poor quality plastic. Most of the destination mounts for the self tapping screws have split, so it's held together very tentatively - ie the screws are just about biting but can't be tightened completely.
More poor design than poor plastic, although recycled plastic won't help. I've repaired a few electronic device cases over the years with the same problem of the screw pillars cracking, but I've also got a couple designed so that they'll never crack.

I use pieces of brass tube as a collar pressed on over the split post as a repair. The tube needs to be a tight enough push fit to close the crack in the plastic and it won't work if any chunks of plastic have broken away from the post.

The repair will last, but only if you are careful about tightening up the screws, as the self tappers used can easily strip out the thread in plastic if over tightened.

The loco body has come up nicely, but I agree, it needs a dummy frame behind the cylinders and from there to the front headstock. There's far too much daylight under the front at present.

Regards,
Graeme

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:04 pm

This is a wonderful advertisement for CAD and 3D print model making – and your enthusiasm and aptitude for it. Very nice indeed.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:33 pm

GTB wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:14 am More poor design than poor plastic, although recycled plastic won't help. I've repaired a few electronic device cases over the years with the same problem of the screw pillars cracking, but I've also got a couple designed so that they'll never crack.

I use pieces of brass tube as a collar pressed on over the split post as a repair. The tube needs to be a tight enough push fit to close the crack in the plastic and it won't work if any chunks of plastic have broken away from the post.

The repair will last, but only if you are careful about tightening up the screws, as the self tappers used can easily strip out the thread in plastic if over tightened.
Past that stage, unfortunately. Most of the pieces of the various pillars have parted company and either disappeared or are rattling around inside the clamshell.
GTB wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:14 am The loco body has come up nicely, but I agree, it needs a dummy frame behind the cylinders and from there to the front headstock. There's far too much daylight under the front at present.
The dummy frame is now done and, as on the Lyn, serves a triple purpose of filling the space, retaining the cylinder moulding and securing the body to the motor block..

I'll post a few photos later.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:56 pm

On the home straight ........

(Images hosted on my blog - https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2021/0 ... rt-88.html )

There's still a bit more to be done - a bit more pipework, nameplates, numberplates, makers' plates and some gauges, pipes and brake standard in the cab. She seems to run quite well but I've not had a chance to do a full test run as yet.

3 x 18650 li-ion cells, Deltang Rx65c receiver/controller and MyLocoSound Universal steam soundcard.

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:54 pm

That's looking really good Rik. You have managed to get a smooth paint surface too, very well done.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:12 pm

Yes, I agree with Peter, a very nice job.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:12 pm

Thanks chaps
I've now blogged the build here in case anyone wants to see wot I dun
https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2021/0 ... -into.html

Rik
------------------------