Southwold stock

What is your latest project?
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Southwold stock

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:19 pm

Rik, here's another Southwold video showing original b/w film and more recent garden railway footage. One interesting feature is the modification of the carriages to bogies rather than Cleminson 6 wheelers, possibly because of the same issues you have found yourself.
A good story completely ruined by loud and inappropriate background music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKZOFd3oez8
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Stephen Bazire
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Stephen Bazire » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:14 pm

That is my railway featured. I do have some Cleminson wheel bases for the 6-wheel trucks but they're too unreliable for regualr runing so I went for the more pragmatic solution of having bogies. Life is too short! Sorry about the music - Mark Found put that together and it probably is a bit loud but, to be fair, it is me playing and a Suffolk tune. Glad you liked the story though.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:40 pm

Hi Stephen and welcome to the Forum. As previously mentioned I did enjoy the video and love your line. I'm sorry about the reference to the loud music but I can see it was Mark who added that. On my laptop I frequently experience loud music on TV video productions, so perhaps that explains it?
When was the video made and do you still have the railway?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Stephen Bazire
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Stephen Bazire » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:36 pm

Not sure of the year (circa 2006?) but I know it was the Sunday after England had won a World Cup match. We both had hangovers...
Yes, the line still exists and runs, it's showing its age but I am working on a slow renovation process. I finished the new church at Wenhaston last Tuesday, put it on a shelf to photograph it and the shelf collapsed. I'm halfway through gluing the church components together again, then to just fill the cracks, repaint and mend that bl**dy shelf! I was looking to get some more stock together soon when I saw these 3D ones so, rather than painstakingly reinvent the wheel, I thought it best to go down this route.
I'm also a borderline-active member of the Halesworth to Southwold Narrow Gauge Railway Trust, working at Blythburgh, Wenhaston and Bird's Folly near Halesworth. I find them more friendly and welcoming that the other lot at Southwold. The shed at Blythburgh has been fully renovated and good relations made with Lord Blois, who owns most of the original trackbed. A good man to know and his anti-railway history is being gradually eased.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:16 pm

Thanks for the background info, Stephen. I've always admired your line - but then I would being a long term fan of the Southwold and a member of 'the other lot' for more years than I can remember (membership no. 25). We now only make occasional trips to Southwold but I do have to get my Southwold fix every few years.

Glad to hear you're also into folk music - I listen but don't play (at least not in public).

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Stephen Bazire
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Stephen Bazire » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:25 pm

Thanks Rik, lovely to get such a warm welcome. I'm still trying to find the download section here though!
And shall I be that churlish anorak who mentions that there were actually two types of 4-wheel truck with curved ends? One had one plank for the curve but a few had two planks (or one and a half). I guess that was so they could put more in those trucks.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:31 pm

The 3D download area can be found here. https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=55

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:30 pm

Stephen Bazire wrote: ↑Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:25 pm Thanks Rik, lovely to get such a warm welcome. I'm still trying to find the download section here though!
And shall I be that churlish anorak who mentions that there were actually two types of 4-wheel truck with curved ends? One had one plank for the curve but a few had two planks (or one and a half). I guess that was so they could put more in those trucks.
Interesting. I'd not noticed that. Presumably they were taller. I must go back to my books and see if I can spot the variant (sounds a bit like Covid)

Rik
PS Good luck with the downloads. Let me know if you need any mods.
------------------------

Stephen Bazire
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Stephen Bazire » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:39 pm

Thanks Rik, lovely to get such a warm welcome. I'm still trying to find the download section here though!
I'm not sure how you managed the coach but the only way I could make them strong enough was to use a perspex box and add the window frames to that. One coach got blown off an outdoor layout 5ft onto solid concrete and survived unharmed! Unlike my church...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:01 pm

Looks like you've somehow reposted the same message.
The coach seems ok with just the strength of the plastic, but I generally over engineer my stock.

Have you managed to follow the link Steve posted?
If not, you'll find the files under
Stock & Railways > 3D Printing > 3D Print Files

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:55 am

Great video, although I personally don't like the "Sea Shanty" music, it annoys the hell out of me. I do however turn the sound off when I hear music and just watch the brilliant lines and rolling stock, which your's is so watchable and the story of how you came to build the models and buildings is great.

Welcome also to the forum Stephen, looking forward to more from you in the future..

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:08 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:55 am ....... I personally don't like the "Sea Shanty" music, it annoys the hell out of me.
Then I doubt you'll enjoy some of my model making sessions in the workshop Rod, when I play my English folk music CDs and occasionally grab my tin whistle and join in. Though you'll probably be pleased to hear that I now no longer strap on my bells and dance to the Morris tunes .... :lol:

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:33 pm

Stephen Bazire wrote: ↑Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:39 pm And shall I be that churlish anorak who mentions that there were actually two types of 4-wheel truck with curved ends? One had one plank for the curve but a few had two planks (or one and a half). I guess that was so they could put more in those trucks.
Hi Stephen
I've now uploaded another zip file containing the higher curved ends to complement the existing 3 plank wagon parts. I've also noticed those wagons had a shorter wheelbase so I'll tweak the solebars for the swb van to make them fit.

BTW I've also added some strapping for the insides of both sorts of three plank wagons. I noticed the internal strapping when researching the taller three plank opens - it isn't shown on the line drawings in any of the Southwold books.

Rik
------------------------

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:17 pm

ge_rik wrote: ↑Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:08 am
Then I doubt you'll enjoy some of my model making sessions in the workshop Rod, when I play my English folk music CDs and occasionally grab my tin whistle and join in. Though you'll probably be pleased to hear that I now no longer strap on my bells and dance to the Morris tunes .... :lol:

Rik
Rik, I'd pay good money to see a video clip of that! :notworthy:

CFLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:31 pm

That's a lovely railway Steve, I loved the youtube clip. I quite enjoy folk music but I see what folks mean about the volume. It would be fantastic to see some pic's of the line now and to watch the restoration.

All the best,

CFLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:44 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: ↑Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:17 pm

CFLR Andrew
No video, I'm afraid, but how about a photo from the archives ....
2021-01-18-19-34-39.jpg
2021-01-18-19-34-39.jpg (52.73 KiB) Viewed 4730 times
That's me on the left

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:59 pm

ge_rik wrote: ↑Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:44 pm
That's me on the left
Notta lotta peeple know dat!
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:00 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:08 am
FWLR wrote: ↑Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:55 am ....... I personally don't like the "Sea Shanty" music, it annoys the hell out of me.

Rik
.............. :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

I bet that's a sight to see Rik... :lol :lol

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:10 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:44 pm
Soar Valley Light wrote: ↑Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:17 pm

CFLR Andrew
No video, I'm afraid, but how about a photo from the archives ....
2021-01-18-19-34-39.jpg

That's me on the left

Rik

That's just made my day.... :lol :lol :lol :lol

Thanks Rik.

BTW, I like music of all persuasions. From classical to chamber. It's just these old ears can't hear the same has they used to and I get annoyed with myself because the sound I hear now is muffled to the extent, that it can all be the same sound I am hearing...... :| :|

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:59 pm

Thanks Rod

Rik
------------------------