Ginnerbeck viaduct for Rylston Light

What is your latest project?
philipy

Re: Ginnerbeck viaduct for Rylston Light

Post by philipy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:34 pm

What a superb job!!

Can't wait to see it in the 'miniscape'... leave the de-gooping, she'll never notice (much!)
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:18 pm

Just a stunning piece of craftsmanship, if all your structures are going to be of this standard we are in for a treat.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:35 pm

Looks wonderful already. Can't wait to here it finished and installed in its final location.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:40 pm

Well there you go, I leave the forum alone for a couple of days and a magnum opus appears! Absolutely tremendous work Andy. I was struck by how the relief on the stonework really stood out with the paint job you have done already, so any further paintwork will be interesting to see.
A wonderful project, that well deserves the photo opportunity with your masterpiece. :thumbup:

I tried that meltable mould material - absolutely vile stuff, and after a short period of time the mould started to ooze an oily residue. :dontknow: Now consigned to history.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:15 pm

Absolutely loved the “ride” a real skill and imagination.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:20 am

Spectacular job Andy, and the scene it is to fit into I'm sure will be done with as much thought. Can't wait (impatient lot aren't we!)
Grant.
PS a little concerned as to how your crew are going to get off the structure, a case of "watch the first step, it's a doozy!!!"

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:24 am

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC. That must be the most detailed stonework I have seen.

Just a slight warning. When I finished my viaduct and before I laid track, I discovered I had built a perfect AQUAduct. I had to drill some 'weep' holes to let the water out.
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:14 am

gregh wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:24 am
Just a slight warning. When I finished my viaduct and before I laid track, I discovered I had built a perfect AQUAduct. I had to drill some 'weep' holes to let the water out.
Mmmm . . .

I did consider that. I was going to run some styrene tubing through the structure as a drain (remember I was filling the voids with foam) but initial tests suggested that water adhesion required rather large tubes to work. I did even consider a wicking material. In the end I decided not to bother. I’m still not sure I was right. I was probably over-influenced By the fact I had none in stock.

Now I’m second guessing myself.

Andy
Andy S. at the Rylston Light Railway

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:29 am

LNR wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:20 am
PS a little concerned as to how your crew are going to get off the structure, a case of "watch the first step, it's a doozy!!!"
Rylstondale is a very isolated place even to this day. Lots of the inhabitants still use Yorkshire vernacular and the place names have hidden Norse meanings. They have many arcane traditions stretching back to pre-Christian times. One quaint tradition if one of the Dales folk really need anything they have to spin three times widdershins and fall to the floor whilst calling “I do believe in Odin’s hand, I do believe in Odin’s hand”. On this it is rumoured Odin’s hand has been known to descend through the clouds from Valhalla to correct all ills.

It is even murmured by older railway staff that the occasional derailment has, in distant times, been solved by this plea.

Of course this is just quaint tradition and is actively discouraged by the Rev Peabody.

Andy

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:40 am

Still laughing :lol: :lol: I'm wondering if Odin appeared over my railway recently, when I wrote "that a giant pair of hands came down from the sky, removed the mill and its subterranean foundations, levelled the ground and we will start again."
Grant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:01 am

This as been an absolutely brilliant read and build. I would love to have something like yours on our new line, but unfortunately my building skills come no where near to what is so expertly done. Don't think for one moment you are not by the way. :thumbright: :thumbright:

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:25 am

Building Ginnerbeck viaduct: Appendix

Thanks for all the positive feedback. This includes praise for the quality of the stonework, and I really didn’t discuss this aspect at all just starting with “I used standard RLR building sheets”.

The basis of all the stonework is the JigStone system.
2375D230-6207-4A4F-88C2-CC8A763D9AFB.jpeg
2375D230-6207-4A4F-88C2-CC8A763D9AFB.jpeg (92.33 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
My moulds are maybe 20years old and up to this project pristine. One mould had some rubber pulled off from a mortar line when demoulding last week. Although initially expensive they last and last. They are still available from https://modell-werkstatt.de/jigstones-2 which is a German site but has a Union Jack to click on to translate. He also has lots of other obscure things. This year I got a very nice cast brass weather vane for St Luke’s Church. Payment was easy, it arrived 1 day later.

I did get a set of brick moulds as well but I found the smaller distances between mortar lines made jointing the blocks much more time consuming. They have been used for chimney stacks.
C4A4BD82-F626-4B64-A6F7-54B54D43374D.jpeg
C4A4BD82-F626-4B64-A6F7-54B54D43374D.jpeg (26.21 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
Fit a long time I used the blocks as intended, assembling individual blocks into quite large structures such as Rylston station. BTW the station is self-coloured U-pol not painted.
BDB962C6-AB59-4C9C-A148-08C999FB1E6F.jpeg
BDB962C6-AB59-4C9C-A148-08C999FB1E6F.jpeg (134.59 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
However the blocks are quite thick and wasteful of resin. I noticed that pattern of the stone work in the building walls of one Major 16mm supplier was similar to the JigStone repeating pattern. I wanted to modify that building to suit the Rylston Light better so I made a sheet master from JigStones and made a mould. The resulting sheets match the thickness of the building supplier’s kit.
59714D5C-1B10-4C15-A802-E482CCF4313A.jpeg
59714D5C-1B10-4C15-A802-E482CCF4313A.jpeg (168.3 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
So the viaduct is basically a JigStone project. As it is it required 245 separate cast pieces; I cannot calculate the number if I used the original block size. But the quality of the stone-work is definitely JigStones. I would encourage anyone to buy JigStones; they work well, thy last well. And they can be adapted to local need.

I have even adapted the stone-pattern to another use but that is part of the teaser of the cunning plan. After all these lead-in teasers it better bl@@dy work.

Andy

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:54 am

Jig-stone, love it, when I did 00 a number of years ago there was a similar system, though designed for plaster, and you had a whole package of parts, and when moving up to G/16mm I looked for something similar but couldn't find anything, but this is it :D :D :D

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:05 am

Jimmyb wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:54 am . . . a similar system, though designed for plaster, and . . .
My first build was a small PW hut, now designated for a quarry office, cast from resin plaster from Gedeo. The moulds work well in most casting materials. Cheapest is ordinary cement with fine aggregate and I have cast some dry stone walling in that. It doesn’t quite hold the detail as well as resin or resin plaster, and take a while to cure.

Andy