CDR Railcar No. 10

What is your latest project?
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: CDR Railcar No. 10

Post by ge_rik » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:15 am

LNR wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:13 am Coming together well Rik. Looks kind of cute on its own.
Grant.
Thanks Grant.
I was thinking of making interchangeable bodies for it - the railcar passenger compartment as supplied and a railtruck body which looks like it will fit the same tractor unit.
7001103_orig.jpg
7001103_orig.jpg (285.79 KiB) Viewed 5314 times
Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:32 am

Funnily enough, when I saw it running in your video yesterday I thought it looked more like a pickup than a railcar. This picture is exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of.
Philip

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:57 am

Rik, you truly are inspirational :thumbup:

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:49 am

It's amazing how you fit everything in. It's nice looking model - quite unusual with the coupled wheels (to me anyway).
I can see the slight 'binding' as it moves. If you can't open out the conrod holes maybe the pins can be made a bit smaller?

The idle sound is beautiful. (but a little less good when running - sorry). Anyway I always say 'any sound is better than none.'

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:54 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:15 am a railtruck body which looks like it will fit the same tractor unit.
Wow!! that looks the business. Perfect match.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:12 pm

A tad more progress.
The main structure for the trailer is now assembled.
DSCN0446.JPG
DSCN0446.JPG (108.98 KiB) Viewed 5171 times
It was easier than the cab - fewer, larger pieces and so easier to get the iron in to the awkward corners. A 100W iron might be useful for delivering the heat but I find it a bit unwieldy! Please don't look too closely at my soldering - remember I'm still learning :?
DSCN0447.JPG
DSCN0447.JPG (91.68 KiB) Viewed 5171 times
All those gaps will be filled with carved bass wood. I've made a start on carving the roof (and my thumb!!! :roll: ) but have run out of bass wood and so will have to await deliveries. The good news is that I've run it on all the possible sticky bits of my railway and as far as I can see there are no clearance issues!! :thumbright: I even tried running it through some R1 radius LGB points and it managed them with no problem!!
DSCN0448.JPG
DSCN0448.JPG (95.92 KiB) Viewed 5171 times
All the supports for the seats are in place but, of course, I will have to make the seats and fancy curved backs. Which is why I've been exploring the possibility of getting el cheapo 3D printer. I've bitten the bullet and ordered it. Just have to figure out how to work it and then get to grips with 3D drawing software!!

I might be picking the brains of a few forumites in the next few days/weeks/months/years!!!!

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:47 pm

Well done Rik, having a go is the first hurdle!

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:15 am

That sure is a major construction job. You make it look easy.
Is the thing articulated or pivoted on the 'bogies' or what?
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:59 am

gregh wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:15 am That sure is a major construction job. You make it look easy.
Is the thing articulated or pivoted on the 'bogies' or what?
Hi Greg
It's articulated between the tractor unit and the trailer, and the trailer unit is mounted on a swivelling bogie, so it's a bit of both. I was a bit concerned that the clearances around the articulation pivot are a bit tight and wondered whether it would successfully take the tight curves which exist on my railway, but it seems to have negotiated all of the with no problem. Presumably, as the original vehicle was designed for Irish 3' narrow gauge railways, they ensured it would be a bit snake-like.

Rik
------------------------

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:59 am

Thanks Rik. All the similar things I've ever seen in Oz were articulated that way. I'm glad it gets around all your curves.
Greg from downunder.

SeamusOD
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SeamusOD » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:09 pm

Its looking great Rik what 3d printer did you go for

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:36 pm

SeamusOD wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:09 pm Its looking great Rik what 3d printer did you go for
The cheapest on eBay. It says it's a Prusa i3, but it ain't. It's a CTC DIY i3. I've finished putting it together and wired it up. Struggling to get the computer to communicate with the printer at the moment. It knows it's there but doesn't want to talk to it. The printer does, however, have an SD card reader so I'll try that next, just to see if it works.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:36 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:36 pm The printer does, however, have an SD card reader so I'll try that next, just to see if it works.
My Qidi doesn't have any communication skills of it's own, so I have always had to do things via an SD card. It seems a bit of a pain at times but in reality it only takes a few seconds longer to save a drawing and walk over to the printer and put it in.
Philip

SeamusOD
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SeamusOD » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:48 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:36 pm
SeamusOD wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:09 pm Its looking great Rik what 3d printer did you go for
The cheapest on eBay. It says it's a Prusa i3, but it ain't. It's a CTC DIY i3. I've finished putting it together and wired it up. Struggling to get the computer to communicate with the printer at the moment. It knows it's there but doesn't want to talk to it. The printer does, however, have an SD card reader so I'll try that next, just to see if it works.

Rik
Forget about connecting it to PC much easier just to transfer the gcode files to the printer on a SD card, I do my drawing/slicing on my main PC in the house then just take the card out and plug it into the printer in the workshop.
Snag with using the PC to do the communications is its normally a pain to get working, plus depending on firmware you sometimes have to keep it connected when printing, None of my printers have ever been connected to a PC apart from my old Davinci and it used to just send file to built in card as it had no external SD card port.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:52 pm

SeamusOD wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:48 pm Forget about connecting it to PC much easier just to transfer the gcode files to the printer on a SD card, I do my drawing/slicing on my main PC in the house then just take the card out and plug it into the printer in the workshop.
Snag with using the PC to do the communications is its normally a pain to get working, plus depending on firmware you sometimes have to keep it connected when printing, None of my printers have ever been connected to a PC apart from my old Davinci and it used to just send file to built in card as it had no external SD card port.
I'm coming round to that way of thinking. It also means I can put the printer anywhere in the workshop rather than worrying whether I can hook it up to the computer. It's dead easy to print from the card, which is one aspect of the design I do admire.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:56 pm

PS - Mk 1 of the seats look reasonably ok. A bit more tweaking required but hopefully by the time my new supply of filament turns up, I'll be ready to go into mass production.
IMG_0532.JPG
IMG_0532.JPG (79.02 KiB) Viewed 5907 times
Rik
------------------------

Nojahoda
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Nojahoda » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:13 am

The texture of that looks really like it's actually upholstered. Very nice.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 02, 2020 11:20 am

It's been a while since I posted an update - but a lot has been happening. As you will have seen, I've been running trains in the garden during the fine weather - and also, I've been tinkering with the 3D printer. It is a bit like a needy child, but I'm beginning to get to grips with it.

So, a lot of time has been spent in making the roof for the passenger trailer car.
Two laminations of basswood which had been rasped, filed and sanded - then filled and sanded a few more times. It's reached the stage where I can apply a couple of coats of primer, which reveal more blemishes which will need filling and sanding.
IMG_0534.JPG
IMG_0534.JPG (103.63 KiB) Viewed 5812 times
The rear end has also required a lot of work as all the edges are curved. Again, more basswood and filler and loads of filing, filling and sanding.
IMG_0535.JPG
IMG_0535.JPG (108.41 KiB) Viewed 5812 times
The seats are slowly being printed. I've been drawing, downloading and printing other things in between. The seats take about 25 minutes and the backs about 35 minutes to print - but the cost (not including electricity) is minimal - around 15p per seat.
IMG_0539.JPG
IMG_0539.JPG (75.93 KiB) Viewed 5812 times
Looking forward to applying some paint!

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat May 02, 2020 12:16 pm

Looking great Rik, the curves may be hard work but well worth the effort. It's a very nice model and will look lovely when running.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 02, 2020 1:36 pm

Thanks Peter
I must admit, that I have wondered if I could have drawn a 3D model of the roof to print off - but maybe that's a bridge (or a roof) too far at this stage in my learning process. I will be glad to clear the air in the workshop of dust from the sanding, though!

Rik
------------------------