IP Engineering Open Cattle Wagon

What is your latest project?
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: IP Engineering Open Cattle Wagon

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:20 pm

When I was working at the museum I copied an 18th century plinth to display a sculpture head. The original plinth I had to match had a very ornate carved and gilded decoration on either side. I used a flexible dental moulding material to surround this and within minutes it had set and was easily removed from the master. You might be able to use this method for a cluster (other collective nouns are available!) of animals and cast them in something suitable, I used plaster of Paris.
If you know a friendly dentist you're half way there.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, Andrew and Peter. I got some ersatz PlayDoh from my local cheapo shop which is a lot softer than plasticine and a kilo bag of casting plaster arrived in the post this morning, so I might try some experimenting. Philipy also has a cunning plan which mysteriously turns a 2d photo into a 3d printed image ..... so I may have to put the cauliflower and/or dentist on the back burner for now..... :? :shock: ;)

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:27 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:13 pm Philipy also has a cunning plan which mysteriously turns a 2d photo into a 3d printed image ..... so I may have to put the cauliflower and/or dentist on the back burner for now..... :? :shock: ;)
This may be of help to Philipy in his endeavors........

A friend of mine who models the old NSWGR in HO and does a lot of 3D printing, made some individual sheep for the paddocks on his layout, as well as blocks of sheep to use as loads for sheep trucks. As I recall he found a 3D model of a sheep on an internet site and used it as a starting point.

The file needed a lot of modification to get a successful print of a sheep in HO scale, but I imagine that would be less of an issue in a larger model. I've no idea how (3D CAD is above my pay grade), but he successfully turned the file for a single sheep into a block of sheep to fit the sheep trucks.

There's a photo of the project and some details on his blog and in the comments. The post goes back to the time before he got his own printers, so were printed by Shapeways. http://bylong.blogspot.com/2015/08/a-p ... sheep.html

Regards,
Graeme

Ps. Rik, the moulding material Peter described was probably alginate. Search for 'Alginate moulding powder', the dental version will be much the same, but a lot more expensive......

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:51 am

Hi Graeme
Thanks for that. I've just been watching a video which Philipy sent me showing the process. Looks fascinating. My mate has a photographic rig he created to take videos of his tank models from every conceivable angle, but he's going into hospital for a big op tomorrow so it'll be a couple of weeks before he'll be in action again.

In the meantime, I'll try taking a series of hand held photos for Philipy and in the other meantime, I've had a go at making a plaster cast. Not entirely successful, but just about passable. The cast is in the airing cupboard at the moment getting fully hardened off before being cleaned up and painted. I'll post the results of sheep-load MK1 here when / if I have something to show....

Rik

PS What a fascinating hobby this is ...... Yesterday, I was researching and making a horse harness for my coal cart model and two weeks ago I was bricklaying!!!! πŸ€”
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:09 pm

Not directly to do with sheep , but I've just quickly experimented with a hopper wagon load of granite ballast, just to see (a) how feasible it might be and (b) how much detail could be possible.
The two pics show one of the original photos ( from a set of 20) and the 3D computer model which was generated from them.
DSC_0111.JPG
DSC_0111.JPG (118.99 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
Screenshot 2020-03-04 11.45.04.png
Screenshot 2020-03-04 11.45.04.png (413.25 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
Philip

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:47 pm

Have you seen this for creating your masters:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Oyumaru-moul ... 890&sr=8-3

Re-usable, just put it in hot water.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:59 am

BorisSpencer wrote: ↑Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:47 pm Have you seen this for creating your masters:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Oyumaru-moul ... 890&sr=8-3

Re-usable, just put it in hot water.
Interesting! I might give it a try. Intriguing to see the Fringlish translation - makes a change from Chinglish 😏🀭

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:40 pm

Had a first attempt at creating a plaster cast sheep load. I suppose it might look OK from several metres with eyes half closed. I might try another one with the sheep bunched more closely together - ie mostly backs and heads with minimal gaps between the sheep. This is actually quite tricky as when a new sheep is pressed into the moulding medium (ie PlayDoh), it squashes the impressions which have been made previously and they become mishapen and I end up with humpty backed sheep. However, for a first effort .......

The casting - don't look too closely at their faces - a bit scary!
IMG_9974_edited.jpg
IMG_9974_edited.jpg (247.7 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
The load inserted. I suppose it looks a bit better inside the wagon
IMG_9971_edited.jpg
IMG_9971_edited.jpg (294 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:40 pm

Good try Rik, but they do rather look as though they are swimming in a mobile sheep-dip tank!
I think you're right though, there aren't enough of them.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:34 pm

philipy wrote: ↑Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:40 pm ....... they do rather look as though they are swimming in a mobile sheep-dip tank!
...... or swimming in something worse ..... πŸ˜³πŸ€”πŸ˜

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:37 pm

Does anyone have an Accucraft sheep wagon handy? A chap on another forum has offered to produce resin case loads of sheep backs to fill them if I pass on the dimensions. I've given him the dimensions of the IP Engineering wagon, but it strikes me that the Accucraft wagon is the more likely candidate for loads of sheep.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:50 pm

The latest on this. Yesterday, I received a parcel from Philipy containing three clusters of 3D printed sheep.
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG (73.91 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
Before sending him a series of photos taken from various angles, I had arranged them on a baseplate of corruflute which was exactly 1/3 of the area of the wagon. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that some of their snouts and bums were overlapping the baseplate and so Philip had to reduce them in size slightly so they would fit. He even printed one set in reverse to try and overcome the regimented layout. The threesome fit nicely in the wagon, with a little bit of spare capacity for another couple of sheep.
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG (79.62 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
Of course, they need painting which will make the baseplates 'disappear', but I am delighted with the outcome. A lot more realistic than my blobby plaster cast version.
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG (71.68 KiB) Viewed 4943 times

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:10 pm

Just the ticket Rik, and well done Phillipy for coming to the rescue!
I have become a 3D print addict, although not clever enough to be able to do it myself it has opened up endless possibilities for us model makers.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:42 pm

They don't look too bad in the wagon, Rik, I'm looking forward to seeing the painted versions.

For anyone interested, Rik sent me 50 pictures of the one group of sheep, taken from all angles, and I then used some free photogrammetry software to create a 3D virtual model in the computer. This was then transferred into Blender to do a file format conversion, then into Sketchup to tidy it up, then into the Slicer program, and then in to the printer!
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:51 pm

philipy wrote: ↑Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:42 pm

For anyone interested, Rik sent me 50 pictures of the one group of sheep, taken from all angles, and I then used some free photogrammetry software to create a 3D virtual model in the computer. This was then transferred into Blender to do a file format conversion, then into Sketchup to tidy it up, then into the Slicer program, and then in to the printer!

I need a drink!!!!!

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:09 pm

What a great team effort. Well done to both of you, that the end result of a series of photo's is this remarkable solid end product is amazing. Peter's right 3D printing has certainly changed the face of modelling.
Grant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:22 am

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:51 pm

I need a drink!!!!!
And me... :lol:

Just wish I was the same though Peter. I just get lost with all the tech involved with 3D printing. Brilliant job done from both Rik and Phillipy. :thumbright:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:36 pm

Very nice indeed - I'm very impressed! Well done both of you!

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:22 pm

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:51 pm

I need a drink!!!!!
And a lie down in a darkened room........ :shock:

Rik
------------------------

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:21 pm

philipy wrote: ↑Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:42 pm They don't look too bad in the wagon, Rik, I'm looking forward to seeing the painted versions.

Say what now??? :lol:
Tis magic Baldrick - let's not worry our pretty little heads over it. :queen:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077