Another Wild Rose Project

What is your latest project?
User avatar
-steves-
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 877
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Cambridge & Peterborough

Re: Another Wild Rose Project

Post by -steves- » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:02 pm

GTB wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:48 pm
Forgot to mention..... :roll:

O-rings can vary a little in dimensions, so if the piston is too tight and hard to move when the o-ring is fitted, even when oiled, you may also have to shave a little off the depth of the groove in the piston.

It's one of those goldilocks things, the o-ring fitting has to be just right. 8)

Graeme
The PTFE tape worked well for all the piston rods and valve rods so thats cool. Not so cool I managed to break a 10ba bolt in the rear cylinder end where the slides are bolted, so it means I need to remake that again as well as the screw that goes on it :( Not sure about piston rings as yet, but I am sure I will sort out something as we go along, lol :thumbup:
Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

User avatar
GTB
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1083
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:46 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Another Wild Rose Project

Post by GTB » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:26 pm

-steves- wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:02 pm
Not so cool I managed to break a 10ba bolt in the rear cylinder end where the slides are bolted, so it means I need to remake that again as well as the screw that goes on it.
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. It doesn't take much force to shear the head off a 10BA screw......

They usually shear just below the head, so if there is enough thread left to grip, it may be easy to unscrew the stub of thread, as it isn't usually under any tension once the head is off.

Graeme

User avatar
-steves-
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 877
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Cambridge & Peterborough

Re: Another Wild Rose Project

Post by -steves- » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:49 pm

GTB wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:26 pm
-steves- wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:02 pm
Not so cool I managed to break a 10ba bolt in the rear cylinder end where the slides are bolted, so it means I need to remake that again as well as the screw that goes on it.
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. It doesn't take much force to shear the head off a 10BA screw......

They usually shear just below the head, so if there is enough thread left to grip, it may be easy to unscrew the stub of thread, as it isn't usually under any tension once the head is off.

Graeme
Unfortunately not, the bolt bottomed out on the glange thread below it, the bolt was about .3mm too long and snapped off seemingly just below the top of the hole and is under full tension :( From what I can see no way to get it out at all :( Ah well, put it down for a few days and go back to it next week, again, lol :thumbup:
Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:17 pm
Location: Bournemouth

Re: Another Wild Rose Project

Post by Maple » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:22 pm

I am pretty sure you can desolve the bolt with aluminium phosphate (i think) and it does not affect the brass, i have done this before in a dish on the stove. be warned, it smells.....
'Professional Bodge artist '

User avatar
GTB
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1083
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:46 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Another Wild Rose Project

Post by GTB » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:40 pm

Maple wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:22 pm
I am pretty sure you can desolve the bolt with aluminium phosphate (i think)
Aluminium Sulphate, otherwise known as Alum, is the chemical you are thinking of......

It forms a weak acid solution when dissolved in water.

Graeme

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest