Resurrecting a Bachmann Lyn

What is your latest project?
RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Resurrecting a Bachmann Lyn

Post by RobRossington » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:21 pm

Another day, another CWLR project!

A couple of years ago, I needed a few bits for my new style Bachmann Lyn. Unfortunately Bachmann didn’t have all of the bits I needed (namely a chimney) and their postage from the US was extortionate.

By chance, a listing appeared on eBay, containing all of the bits I needed and more. I won it for the princely sum of £15, took the bits I needed and left the rest in a box in the shed.

Last summer, I found said box and decided to sort through it as it was taking up a fair bit of space. As you can probably imagine I was quite surprised to discover that it contained enough parts to make up a whole loco, as well as a second motor block, cab and cylinders.

Quickly putting it all back together resulted in this;

A bit rough, but salvageable.

Getting it to run was the first job. I had one complete block, and one disassembled one. The motor from the disassembled one ran nicely with power applied, but the complete block didn’t, regardless of where power was applied to it. I decided to disassemble it to see if the motor was any good, and it was, however the internals of the block had degraded to such an extent that it was little more than scrap.

Combining the best set of wheels, gears and motion gave me a running chassis;

However, I only have three crank pins, and these are no longer available from Bachmann. Strangely, one set of wheels has a threaded hole for the crank pin, whereas the other is just plain. Was this a modification that Bachmanndid at some point in the production run, or did the previous owner modify it I wonder?

One of the ‘good’ wheels had the remains of the fourth crank pin still in it. This has been drilled out, and I’m intending to fashion a metal pin to replace it. I’m hoping to find a nail with a suitable diameter that can be cut down. Failing that I can use a smaller one with a bit of epoxy resin.

If this bit of bodging is successful, I’ll replace the other three pins as I understand they’re known for failing.

More to follow!

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Resurrecting a Bachmann Lyn

Post by RobRossington » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:56 pm

This evening has seen the crank pin botch put into effect.

A visit to my local DIY shop produced a bag of nails that were almost a perfect fit. These were cut down to an appropriate size, seen here next to one of the original pins;

A quick trial fit proved that my botch would work, so I decided to bite the bullet and do all four. This allowed me to switch the cylinders and rods to the better set. The only reason I had used the ‘poor’ set was that they were attached to the good wheels!

Unfortunately whilst swapping them over, I discovered that the good set had a bent coupling rod, so out came the pliers to try and straighten them;

Luckily, a quick squeeze later and they were as good as new!

I decided to give the coupling and connecting rods a coat of red paint whilst I had them out, this can be reversed in the future if I decide I don’t like it with a quick wipe down with some nitro-mors.

The new crank pins are a touch on the small side but we’re only talking a fraction of a millimetre. I have some Loctite in my tool box that I’ve used for similar applications in 009, but decided that I need this to be fairly reversible so I can modify if needed. Rocket cyano superglue has been used instead, and it seems to be holding nicely.

It’s starting to look like a loco again, I’ve stolen the original chimney back from no.3 temporarily, and its original lamp has been returned. I’ll refit No.3’s American style one.

Livery wise, I’m intending on leaving the existing lining and just retouching the green. I’ve removed the Southern lettering with t-cut. It came off pretty easily but has taken a bit of the green with it on one tank, I can’t imagine it’ll be too difficult to get a match, although if not I’ll just repaint the other panels and can to match.

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:44 pm

Today has seen me build a new chimney for the loco...

Two bits of brass and a washer...

Getting there!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:27 pm

Very nice - love the red rods! What a bargain too! It'll look great double-heading with your other one...

By the way, meant to say how much I liked your diesel repaints, wasn't online much at the time but was very impressed. Looking forward to photos ofyour fleet in action over the spring/summer...

Andrew.

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:35 am

Andrew wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:27 pm Very nice - love the red rods! What a bargain too! It'll look great double-heading with your other one...

By the way, meant to say how much I liked your diesel repaints, wasn't online much at the time but was very impressed. Looking forward to photos ofyour fleet in action over the spring/summer...

Andrew.
Thanks Andrew! Much appreciated!

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:22 pm

Some comparison shots of No’s. 3 & 4....

Total spend so far is about £23 :lol:

Vacuum bags, safety chains, nameplates, lamp irons and a tool box are all on order.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:54 pm

Very nice.
How do they run? I've heard mixed stories about their smooth running.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:41 pm

Cracking job, love the way it's been restored, looks great :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:30 pm

-steves- wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:41 pm Cracking job, love the way it's been restored, looks great :thumbup:
Thanks! It’s come out better than I expected it would actually.
ge_rik wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:54 pm Very nice.
How do they run? I've heard mixed stories about their smooth running.

Rik
Thanks Rik.

The black one runs like a dream. When it was track powered it would run perfectly on filthy track, long after my LGB locos has given up. It’s now RC which has made it even better. The only issue it has is adhesive weight, which I’m hoping I’ve sorted in time for this summer.

The green one is much more.... rough and ready. It seems to be running ok, but nowhere near as well as the black one. It has no pickups so I can’t say what it’s like on track power, but I’ve left the feed wires long enough for them to be pulled out through the top of the boiler if I remove the dome. It can then be hooked up to one of my controllers.

It makes a lovely clanking sound as it goes, rather reminiscent of an NGG16 Garratt in need of an overhaul!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:01 pm

RobRossington wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:30 pm The black one runs like a dream. When it was track powered it would run perfectly on filthy track, long after my LGB locos has given up. It’s now RC which has made it even better. The only issue it has is adhesive weight, which I’m hoping I’ve sorted in time for this summer.

The green one is much more.... rough and ready. It seems to be running ok, but nowhere near as well as the black one. It has no pickups so I can’t say what it’s like on track power, but I’ve left the feed wires long enough for them to be pulled out through the top of the boiler if I remove the dome. It can then be hooked up to one of my controllers.

It makes a lovely clanking sound as it goes, rather reminiscent of an NGG16 Garratt in need of an overhaul!
Am I right in thinking the early ones had plastic chassis while the later ones have metal chaasis. Just wondered if that makes a difference.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:06 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:01 pm
RobRossington wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:30 pm The black one runs like a dream. When it was track powered it would run perfectly on filthy track, long after my LGB locos has given up. It’s now RC which has made it even better. The only issue it has is adhesive weight, which I’m hoping I’ve sorted in time for this summer.

Am I right in thinking the early ones had plastic chassis while the later ones have metal chaasis. Just wondered if that makes a difference.

Rik
Yes, there are few, if any, shared mechanical parts between the green one and the black one. The motor block has been completely redesigned. The only shared parts are the cab, tanks and boiler, although the quality of these mouldings has been greatly improved!

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:48 am

Great work on resurrecting Lyn Rob! i too have one that is 23 years old! i got given it by a good friend of mine for Christmas and it runs quite well, looking forward to seeing you convert yours to battery power R/C .

Mitch
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway