Norwegian steam-up

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
rebelego
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Norwegian steam-up

Post by rebelego » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:58 am

Not my video, nor my railway, but I was there. You can see my green loco with LEGO wagons passing now and then. A very nice day and enjoyable event at an awesome garden railway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GimYTgV18w0

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:57 am

Got a headache trying to watch that, why it so jerky?
A steam propelled life-style.

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:55 pm

Low frame rate or more likely poor compression to fit on U-tube, other wise it looked like a good steam up.
Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:54 pm

I suspect when it was uploaded it got the standard 'we noticed your video is a bit jerky would you like YouTube to correct it' and that option was selected. Never seen it improve a video yet, always seems to make the results worse.

A very nice set-up - I particularly liked the working signals & points. Some very out of scale high speeds with more than one train in section - wonder how many trains contacting another one have been edited out of the video, or all they all just very good drivers?

Chris Cairns.

rebelego
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by rebelego » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Chris Cairns:91035 wrote:
I suspect when it was uploaded it got the standard 'we noticed your video is a bit jerky would you like YouTube to correct it' and that option was selected. Never seen it improve a video yet, always seems to make the results worse.
I don't know, I didn't make the video, but I guess you are right about the youtube "correction". As you see the video has been "improved" after the text was applied. Though, the first panning parts of the video also show that panning is usually not a good thing, or you have to pan very slowly.
A very nice set-up - I particularly liked the working signals & points. Some very out of scale high speeds with more than one train in section - wonder how many trains contacting another one have been edited out of the video, or all they all just very good drivers?
This was my first event, and I must admit that I was a bit surprised and shocked regarding the very speedy and chaotic traffic.

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:13 pm

Lovely railway.  I agree with Chris about the You Tube option to get rid of jerky video.  I've tried this a few times and it does make the video worse rather than better.
As for speeds of some trains and 'chaotic' traffic, this is often the case here in the UK also.  I think this allows more visitors to run their trains but of course the odd accident does happen at times.
More prototypical running speeds and traffic control are sometimes insisted upon but this is more likely on the standard gauge garden railways.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Should be posted in the 'How NOT to garden railway' file !

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:11 pm

Lovely railway, and a fine variety of trains. Looks like everyone had a great time. Was that a guy selling sweets for charity I saw?

rebelego
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by rebelego » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:00 am

invicta280:91107 wrote:Was that a guy selling sweets for charity I saw?
Just giving away for free.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:48 pm

Just watched this, what fun! Yes, some of the trains were a little fast at times, but it must be a tough line for visitors to drive, lots of steep gradients and sharp curves. Did laugh every time the little green diesel with the loud horn appeared though, reminded me of the bit at the end of the Great St Trinians Train Robbery where there are trains chasing each other all over the place.

And the bloke in the usher outfit dishing out sweets!!! Crazy! Should be compulsory at every steam-up I reckon...

Thanks for posting this - I feel like us Brits ought to run lots of Norwegian stuff at open days after seeing all those Welsh locos charging round a Norwegian garden...

Cheers,

Andrew.