Gordon Diplock's propeller driven railcar

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Gordon Diplock's propeller driven railcar

Post by bessytractor » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:26 pm

quick video today of "Thrasher Diplock's" railcar buzzing round.  First time I've had it out properly since getting it going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eABhGVA0 ... e=youtu.be
proudly flying in the face of convention

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:36 pm

That's one HELL of a railway you've got there, mate..................

The railcar goes nicely, too!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:58 pm

its not mine lol, and what you see is only just about 2/3 of it!

yes it runs exceedingly well, though nobody else seems willing to drive it, Andy Sleigh has so far been the only one brave enough.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:32 am

Ah, it's nice to see that again! It must be at least 20 years old? I've been thinking about it recently because of the new Swift Sixteen release.

I met Gordon a few times when I was very new to the hobby, he always seemed to have something interesting to play with and could build stuff at a most prolific rate. I recall him once knocking up a small layout based on French practice including a railcar that formed the "Le Vold Express" - he'd done all this purely so he could ask the announcer at the Merstham Show to inform exhibition goers that this train was due to run, anticipating that when he did so it would sound like "Leavold", the surname of an individual who had just left the 16mm Association in a huff, so that everyone might have a laughat his expense. I don't recall whether it worked or not.

The last time I remeber seeing Gordon he was sitting at the centre of a slate quarry which he'd created and was exbibiting all by himself - trains were whirling round their creator at great speeds...

Enjoy your railcar and thanks for the film,

Andrew.

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:34 pm

I like to let people have a go if they are willing, a lot aren't, probably because of the speed I run the thing normally.

its actually in its 30s! I am a member of Guildford club where it was first run, so that seems appropriate.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:36 pm

As many members will already know, I currently hold the Gordon Diplock Trophy, and very proud of it I am too! However, although I have heard the name I knew nothing of the man himself until this thread began.
I am beginning to see why he has his place in history but are there any more examples of his work? Also, I presume he is no longer with us to enjoy the hobby, although I hope I'm wrong on that one.

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:18 pm

nope sadly he's not with us.  I bought the railcar from his nephew who related some rather nice stories about him. There was an enormous Clyde Puffer in their living room which Gordon built, the nephew was keeping that one.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:40 am

Having held the Diplock trophy the year before Mr. Butler I too tried to find out more about him.

I was told he built a railway where the gauge of the track alternated between 32mm and 45mm as it went along - the wheels would slide on their axles. A remarkable feet of modelling and one which I would really love to see some photos of.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:47 am

that was the mining layout he built that was massive and surrounded him. Apparently it was incredibly rickety.

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:47 pm

Rickity ...my kind of railway..
Crackingjob (also Diplock winner)