A first video of my garden railway

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Ianm
Cleaner
Cleaner

A first video of my garden railway

Post by Ianm » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:32 pm

Hi all

A short video of a cab ride round the main part of Wallingford Industrial Light Railway (WIRL). The video is from a Samsung Note strapped to over the front buffer of a Bulldog or on the rear of a pair of carriages. Mostly driven by my seven year old grandson! :shock: :shock:

The extensive leaves on the line was a deliberate experiment to see how the Bulldog and carriages would cope with such poor preparation. Remarkably well is the conclusion - the odd for cones gave it pause for thought but the leaves were no problem so far. :salute:

Thanks to “ge rik” for much inspiration and advice on using the Windows inbuilt video editor - although this effort pales to insignificance compared to his great videos.

The link is to a dropbox transfer - so will only be available for a limited time (probably a fair fate for this effort). I’ll have to decide whether WIRL deserves a more permanent way to share further developments.

Take a look at: https://www.dropbox.com/l/AACDfEcYp77FN ... n6AfFvmL40

All thoughts and critiques welcome. :ugeek

Best
Ian M
WIRL
Ian M
WIRL

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A first video of my garden railway

Post by ge_rik » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:50 am

Hi Ian
Glad to hear the video editing tutorial was helpful.
Looks like an interesting railway. Are you planning to add a station (or two)?

A couple of observations. I don't think many will download the video from Dropbox. It would get a lot more coverage if it was uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo and then had a link posted here. If it's on YouTube then you can embed it in your post.

Although it's probably easier to mount your phone upright, railway videos tend to work better in landscape format. You get more lineside and less sky (or washing line) that way.

Apart from that, it's always great to see videos of other people's railways. There's always something of interest (eg passing round the woodpile, spotting the other part of the circuit, wondering where that siding leads to).

Rik
PS - You nearly got away with editing out the derail ....... :D
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:02 am

Before I read Rik's post, I was going to say the same about putting it on Youtube rather than Dropbox. I must admit that I nearly gave up with the 'Go to dropbox -->download --> extract---> run the video'... but I'm glad I persevered! Very nice run and as Rik said, it is crying out for station(s) etc.
Philip

Ianm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Ianm » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:47 am

Hi Rik, Philip

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I will probably upload to Youtube, something f a new venture…

The derail was caused by the phone slipping down and jamming the rear bogie of the coach. A great relief that the train managed the track without any real bother. A couple of locations can still do with the alignment fixing up though, but the 3d printed track clips seem to work well. Cold weather delivered this morning so the first real test of (i) did I get the rail gaps about right, (ii) are the clips allowing enough movement vis-a-vis the Filcris bed, and (iii) are the clips strong enough (nylon so I hope so). :scratch:

Right on regarding stations. Grandson 2 has a number of locations proposed - negotiations underway with SWMBO. :D

The points take the track to a steaming up bay, a couple of sidings and a reversing loop. A bit of wiring for the points to be completed and then we can explore more in another video.

Cheers
Ianm
Ian M
WIRL

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:22 am

That all sounds very positive for the future, do keep us updated.
Using Youtube is very simple and there is a How To.." in our "How To..." section. :D
Philip

Ianm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Ianm » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:22 am

Hi All

I ventured into the wilds of YouTube - the video is now available at:

I understand this is easier than the Dropbox route.

best
Ian M
Ian M
WIRL

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:21 pm

Brilliant, well done.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:44 pm

Ianm wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:22 am Hi All

I ventured into the wilds of YouTube - the video is now available at:

I understand this is easier than the Dropbox route.

best
Ian M
Yes, excellent, well done. Not everyone manages it on their first attempt. Looking forward now to the next installment.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube