Cold weather steaming in the USA

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Cold weather steaming in the USA

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:37 pm

With the temp at 36'F, a friend and I did some 16mm narrow gauge steaming in the USA today. He brought over his Roundhouse Lilla and I ran my Merlin Mayflower named Smaug. Great plumes but cold hands. Thankfully both have RCS palm transmitters, so we could keep them and our hands in our jacket pockets! Enjoy! Mike

Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Andrew

Re: Cold weather steaming in the USA

Post by Andrew » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:12 am

Thanks for the videos, great steam effects!

Two lovely locos too. A "Mayflower" was what I really wanted when I was saving up for a Mamod as a teenager thirty plus years ago, a beautiful little loco, and "Lilla"'s a current favourite - if I weren't saving for a new RH "England" it would be on my list... Great slow running from both engines, the railway's clearly developing well (the child in me loves those automatic barriers!), and I also enjoyed how unbothered the dogs are by the trains!

All the best,

Andrew.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:58 pm

Thanks, the doggies are well used to trains being run. I still like my Mayflower over even my friends Lilla. it just looks "right" when it comes to the typical British narrow gauge engine. I put a Roundhouse Leek & Manifold engine on order at RH, but its not due till Feb 2022! its just a verbal order and I can cancel anytime. I would really like to find the Merlin Monarch in Green and the 2-6-2 Hunslet in green 45mm gauge. That would give me an all Merlin stable other than my wife's USA style Pearse switcher. I just sprayed my platform canopy down with Shellac, along with the platforms for that station that I was able to save. One of the Ramps needs a new top board to be usable again due to warpage. I plan a revamp of the depot area and expanding the engine house/steam up tracks that are going to be moved to the outside of the layout. Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

steamgeorge
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamgeorge » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:03 pm

Excellent :thumbright: